Alea Jacta Est... Birth of Rome

Started by PanzersEast, September 22, 2013, 08:40:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanzersEast

Is the better of the series.... more troop diversity, interesting situations, naval operations etc......  I liked the initial release of AJE, however the only the civil wars campaign was remotely interesting.. but the Birth of Rome and Spartacus and Cantabrian Wars is where it is at for the series.

PE

Nefaro

I also tend to enjoy the earlier Republic era stuff, due to the diversity in opponents and the very expansionistic tendencies of all involved.  While legion vs legion can be okay, I still much prefer variety.  Especially when there are more & smaller factions in a scenario. 

I've still not fired up the First Punic War scenario, and that's probably one of the exceptions in BOR, being a long drawn-out war against one large opposing faction.  Fortunately it's still not a somewhat repetitive Legion vs Legion confrontation.

PanzersEast

Quote from: Nefaro on September 22, 2013, 09:29:35 AM
I also tend to enjoy the earlier Republic era stuff, due to the diversity in opponents and the very expansionistic tendencies of all involved.  While legion vs legion can be okay, I still much prefer variety.  Especially when there are more & smaller factions in a scenario. 

I've still not fired up the First Punic War scenario, and that's probably one of the exceptions in BOR, being a long drawn-out war against one large opposing faction.  Fortunately it's still not a somewhat repetitive Legion vs Legion confrontation.

I agree... I tend to lose interest beyond one scenario in AJE, however the First Punic War scenario for example has variety and is a slug fest.... Overall if you enjoyed AJE but found it getting repetitive or had lack of variety, then you should try out the other offerings of AJE.

PE

panzerde

Thanks for the observations, gents.  I've been mulling over getting BOR all weekend and this tips the scales.  I'm in an operational/strategic mood and this should do the trick.  I was going to spring for ACW2, but think I'll wait a few weeks for the bugs to get hammered out.
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

PanzersEast

Quote from: panzerde on September 22, 2013, 10:41:17 AM
Thanks for the observations, gents.  I've been mulling over getting BOR all weekend and this tips the scales.  I'm in an operational/strategic mood and this should do the trick.  I was going to spring for ACW2, but think I'll wait a few weeks for the bugs to get hammered out.

No prob, I recommend it.... my favorite AGEOD game.  Can't believe I waited sooooo long to pick up BOR after playing AJE for a long time.  And honestly, AJE felt like a prep for BOR.

PE

mikeck

I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

PanzersEast

Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM
I preferred AJE. I think it comes down to scenario preference. If you like post Marian legions and civil wars it AJE...if you like The early wars it's BOR. Both are fantastic.

I favor the Marian reforms, however lack of variety kills it for me.  Caesar vs Vercingetorix anyone???

PE

mikeck

Quote from: PanzersEast on September 22, 2013, 12:28:15 PM
Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 11:48:58 AM

I favor the Marian reforms, however lack of variety kills it for me.  Caesar vs Vercingetorix anyone???

PE

I don't find it repetitive. I play the mithradates vs rome (Sulla) scenario and the Pompey v Caesar civil war primarily and each time they play a little difference. It's a real challenge going up against professional legions instead of stomping greasy barbarians... I would love a Gallic campaign though
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

How is the Punic war scenario in Bor? Can the AI handle playing as the Carthaginians?

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 02:28:21 PM
How is the Punic war scenario in Bor? Can the AI handle playing as the Carthaginians?

As mentioned.. I haven't played that one yet.  It is a LONG game.  From what I understand, Carthage's only big advantage during the First Punic War was it's initial naval supremacy, but the Romans managed to catch up in that category.   Regarding the scenario, I believe a few players have mentioned that there will be times of conflict and lulls where each side is trying to rebuild it's forces & such, afterward.

I've mostly just played some Italic expansion wars with Rome, although I may fire up the one with Pyrrhus starting off in Magna Graecia, as Epirus to play a faction using Macedonian style phalanxes. 

Don't get me wrong, AJE is also a wonderful game.  It also has some variety in it too.  For example, there are still a couple scenarios with the option to lead Non-Roman factions in AJE (such as Pontus in the Sulla vs Marius one).  I just find the BOR scenarios have more & varied factions per map area, and more options regarding playing them in general.  They're both great strategy games. 

I really hope they come out with another release.  As you can guess, everyone clamors for a 2nd Punic War scenario.

mikeck

Yes. 2nd Punic and the Gallic wars. also the Dacians

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on September 22, 2013, 04:59:21 PM
Yes. 2nd Punic and the Gallic wars. also the Dacians

Any or all of the above, please!
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

tgb

Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey.  It's also quite difficult.

The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage.  Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.

The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.

Nefaro

Quote from: tgb on September 22, 2013, 09:47:08 PM
Not to derail the thread, but have y'all played Matrix's Hannibal:Rome & Carthage In The 2nd Punic War? I like it a lot. It has nice stylized art, wicked A.I.,and is very boardgamey.  It's also quite difficult.

The biggest drawback is lack of replayability, since it only has one scenario and you can only play as Carthage.  Still, there are random event cards and rule variations that mitigate that somewhat.

The developer was supposedly working on a new title for Matrix, but I haven't heard anything about it in a while, so it may be a dead project.

It's a wonderful game.  The AI can beat the snot out of you, and not just because it can have the numbers advantage.  It can be downright devious. 

The artwork is excellent & unique.  It still holds it's tabletop game roots well, even down to the counters. 

While replayability could be an issue, I found it easy to have a different experience every time, after the initial march over the Alps and stopover in Cisalpine Gaul.  Especially when you crank the difficulty/ruleset up to where the Carthaginian senate is dictating part of the overall strategy and troop allocation.   My biggest complaint would be some of the learning curve because, like many old tabletop wargames, there a lot of little special rules to learn.  Luckily there is a nice in-game manual to help in that endeavor, along with tutorials.

I've been looking forward to his next game, which will reportedly have two playable sides.  I'm not sure what the setting will be but I believe it's still a Classical/Roman period thing.  8)

As an extra note.. beta testing this game was probably the most fun I've ever had doing so.  I can't express enough just how open and receptive the developer was to suggestions, it was always a pleasant experience.  That's saying a lot because I've beta tested for other wonderfully easy-going and receptive developers.  I hope he's making progress on the next one, because the guy has talent.

Martok

Dammit Nefaro, you're making me want to go find my copy of Hannibal and reinstall it.  I picked it up last year, but never got very far with it (I was distracted by too many other good games!). 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces