Greatest American Rock Band

Started by bayonetbrant, July 26, 2014, 07:33:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MetalDog

The Doors were tuneful when it suited them.  But, they were selling Jim Morrison.  And he's one of those, 'guys want to be him, girls want to be with him,' type of guys.  Dark, moody, good looking and good enough at being a bullshitter to make everyone think he was deep.  They were my first, 'favorite,' band.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on July 26, 2014, 06:05:49 PM
Who compiled this list?  A bunch of doddering old farts in a retirement home?
It wasn't a singular list, it was a conversation. But one of the factors they brought up was longevity, which is why Fall Out Boy doesn't count.

Quote from: MetalDogBut, the Master of the Stratocaster, on his own merits, can stand for American rock any time he wants.
Hendrix they counted as a solo artist; same rules as Springsteen.

I don't deny that there's a lot of Eagles tunes that are overplayed. But there's plenty of Floyd, Stones, Aerosmith, and Zeppelin tunes that are overplayed too.
Some of my favorite Eagles tunes are the non-radio hits, like "Those Shoes".
And Joe Walsh was already an established artist with the James Gang and his early solo stuff when he joined the Eagles
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Gusington

The Doors were one of my first favorite bands too, along with U2 and Public Enemy, circa 1986. Hard to believe at the time that Morrison was gone for only about 15 years. Right now Cobain has been gone longer at this point!

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

I would throw my lot in with Aerosmith. Not my favourite American band, but their longevity and influence cannot be denied.

KISS would get an honourable mention.

Groundbreaking would go to the Doors, and the Beachboys.
Any time is a good time for pie.

MetalDog

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 27, 2014, 06:44:55 PM

I don't deny that there's a lot of Eagles tunes that are overplayed. But there's plenty of Floyd, Stones, Aerosmith, and Zeppelin tunes that are overplayed too.

I could fill a thread of songs that are overplayed and the dial immediately changed.  "Another Brick In the Wall, Pt. 2," "The Stroke," by Billy Squier, "Sweet Home Alabama," or "Freebird."  All that shit can rot.  Aerosmith's version of, "Come Together."  Journey, "Wheel In the Sky."  The list, literally, goes on and on.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Centurion40 on July 27, 2014, 08:03:05 PMI would throw my lot in with Aerosmith. Not my favourite American band, but their longevity and influence cannot be denied.

But a greater influence than Kiss?

I like Kiss, and The Eagles.  Neither are my all-time favorite band.  But their combination of influence, longevity, and success just pummel all the other current options in my mind.  In 15 more years, I'd hope Pearl Jam is in that conversation, but it'll take that long to truly get a sense of their influence.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 28, 2014, 05:43:58 AM
Quote from: Centurion40 on July 27, 2014, 08:03:05 PMI would throw my lot in with Aerosmith. Not my favourite American band, but their longevity and influence cannot be denied.

I like Kiss, and The Eagles.  Neither are my all-time favorite band.  But their combination of influence, longevity, and success just pummel all the other current options in my mind.  In 15 more years, I'd hope Pearl Jam is in that conversation, but it'll take that long to truly get a sense of their influence.

no Bon Jovi?

GDS_Starfury

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

undercovergeek

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on July 28, 2014, 10:53:23 AM

100% agree, but he's a solo artist and therefore not in this discussion ;)

MetalDog

Quote from: undercovergeek on July 28, 2014, 11:11:37 AM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on July 28, 2014, 05:43:58 AM

no Bon Jovi?

Geek, if you ever denied entry into the United States, THIS will be the reason.

GDS_Starfury

pearl jam can suck a bag of aids ridden dicks.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

GDS_Starfury

oh I cleaned it up before hitting post.