The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

That is a surprisingly fun game in multiplayer.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on January 06, 2014, 09:20:52 PM
That is a surprisingly fun game in multiplayer.

I often have the urge to jump into one of the big multiplayer servers, despite my lacking bayonet skills.  Thankfully my musketry wasn't too bad, for what it was worth and I could occasionally do so-so in the cavalry.

Greybriar

For the next 20 hours, GamersGate is selling Dominions 4 for $11.90, a 66% savings.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Nefaro

Quote from: Greybriar on January 07, 2014, 08:32:48 AM
For the next 20 hours, GamersGate is selling Dominions 4 for $11.90, a 66% savings.

Dunno why but my normal Gamersgate shortcut keeps taking me to the Swedish version of their site, and not the USD/English one.  ???

Martok

Quote from: Nefaro on January 07, 2014, 12:29:44 PM

Dunno why but my normal Gamersgate shortcut keeps taking me to the Swedish version of their site, and not the USD/English one.  ???
If you check the link Greybriar provided, it has "se." at the beginning of the site address.  Try this instead: 

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Greybriar

Quote from: Martok on January 07, 2014, 03:00:26 PM

If you check the link Greybriar provided, it has "se." at the beginning of the site address.  Try this instead: 

That's odd. I got the English version of the GamersGate site with that link, but I edited the "se." out of the hotlink for the rest of you.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

W8taminute

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads up Greybriar.  This was an insta-purchase at this price.   8)
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

So how hard is this game to play?  Seen some reviews state the game is fantastic, but is extremely hard to learn and play.  People agree?

W8taminute

^It's not hard to play at all.  Without reading a manual I was able to intuitively figure out how to recruit and move units.  How to cast spells and do city management. 

What is hard about this game is knowing how each spell interacts with other spells and how to use them.  It's also not easy to discern what exactly you need to research.  Playing a solo game against the ai for 10+ hours will certainly help you up 40% of the learning curve.  After that in order to learn more you need to either check out the wiki sites or play PBEM against other humans who are willing to share their knowledge with you. 

Dominions is not a game that you simply play and become a master of in a month.  If you're gaming time is limited then it will take you at least a year of devoted play to get any useful knowledge out of the game. 

Don't let this discourage you though.  If you enjoy a fantasy setting and look at this game as a long term investment it is absolutely brilliant as a TBS game.  Patience is the key.  One last comment.  I wouldn't say Dominions is as complex to learn how to play like a Gary Grisby's War in the East type game but learning the ins and outs of spells, the core of the game, is as complex.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: W8taminute on January 07, 2014, 06:53:34 PM
^It's not hard to play at all.  Without reading a manual I was able to intuitively figure out how to recruit and move units.  How to cast spells and do city management. 

What is hard about this game is knowing how each spell interacts with other spells and how to use them.  It's also not easy to discern what exactly you need to research.  Playing a solo game against the ai for 10+ hours will certainly help you up 40% of the learning curve.  After that in order to learn more you need to either check out the wiki sites or play PBEM against other humans who are willing to share their knowledge with you. 

Dominions is not a game that you simply play and become a master of in a month.  If you're gaming time is limited then it will take you at least a year of devoted play to get any useful knowledge out of the game. 

Don't let this discourage you though.  If you enjoy a fantasy setting and look at this game as a long term investment it is absolutely brilliant as a TBS game.  Patience is the key.  One last comment.  I wouldn't say Dominions is as complex to learn how to play like a Gary Grisby's War in the East type game but learning the ins and outs of spells, the core of the game, is as complex.

Thank you for the detail.....I was hoping you would say it is way too complex for simple minds like myself so it would make me not want to buy it:)  However, now you have interested me!  Decisions, decisions, already so early in the year.

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on January 07, 2014, 03:00:26 PM

I tried manually typing in the www..com address earlier and it was not working.  Seems to be loading fine tonight, though.

FlickJax

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 07, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

Thank you for the detail.....I was hoping you would say it is way too complex for simple minds like myself so it would make me not want to buy it:)  However, now you have interested me!  Decisions, decisions, already so early in the year.

I know a lot of the guys love it but I could never get into dominions 3 and found it very unsatisfying. I couldn't see all the added strategy I had been told was there.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FlickJax on January 08, 2014, 04:29:30 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on January 07, 2014, 06:59:08 PM

I know a lot of the guys love it but I could never get into dominions 3 and found it very unsatisfying. I couldn't see all the added strategy I had been told was there.

That is what made me struggle...ended up not buying it on sale.  Maybe I am leaving up to my resolutions?  That is two games I was near going to purchase and I ultimately did not:)  Progress!!

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on January 08, 2014, 04:29:30 AM

I dunno how long you played it, but I wasn't all that into Dom3 on my first attempt.  I had only fired it up long enough to do one turn, however.  The randomly generated maps looked so terrible that my first impression was pretty soured.  Later, I gave it a good go and realized how much different stuff was in it and all the variety to be had.  Whether the large variety of Pretender builds, units, spells, etc in it translates into more varied build strategies is probably related to how far you play into a game because much of it is in regard to builds and research, not quite so much movement and attack strategy.  Much hinges on the strategy of customization of your Pretender God and his nation as the game progresses.  It feels somewhat RPG-ish in nature, in this respect.

Dom4 is just a more refined version of Dom3, with some extras and better interface features all around.

Greybriar

Amazon.com is offering Freyja's Bundle for $12.99 U.S. It includes:
1. Alan Wake Collector's Bundle
2. Alan Wake's American Nightmare
3. Darksiders II DLC - Angel of Death Pack
4. Darksiders II DLC - Argul's Tomb
5. Darksiders II DLC - Deadly Despair
6. Darksiders II DLC - Death Rides
7. Darksiders II DLC - Fletcher's Crow Hammer
8. Darksiders II DLC - Mace Maximus
9. Darksiders II DLC - Mortis
10. Darksiders II DLC - Rusanov's Axe
11. Darksiders II DLC - Van der Schmash Hammer
12. Darksiders II DLC - Abyssal Forge
13. Darksiders II Season Pass (DLC)
14. Darksiders II
15. Darksiders
16. Supreme Commander
17. Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance
18. Titan Quest Gold

It looks like there are Steam codes on all of them.