The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2014, 03:45:28 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 18, 2014, 03:17:31 PM
D&D Anthology Master Collection is $4.99 at Gamers Gate.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

Includes:

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 + Expansions

Icewind Dale 1 & 2 + Expansions

Planescape: Torment

The Temple of Elemental Evil

Must...not...click...buy...

Seriously. I'm fighting the urge myself. Too many unplayed games as it is and that collection represents months, if not years, of gaming.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

I have that collection on disk packed up somewhere, sans The Temple of Elemental Evil...5 dollah is hard to resist.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: mirth on January 18, 2014, 03:52:59 PM

http://www.gamersgate.com/DDB-DBAMC/dungeons-and-dragons-anthology-the-master-collection

Includes:

Seriously. I'm fighting the urge myself. Too many unplayed games as it is and that collection represents months, if not years, of gaming.

LOL...you're looking at multiple hundreds of hours of game play combined in this collection.  But they are rpg greatness.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Rayfer on January 18, 2014, 05:23:33 PM
Quote from: mirth on January 18, 2014, 03:52:59 PM

Includes:

LOL...you're looking at multiple hundreds of hours of game play combined in this collection.  But they are rpg greatness.

Yet another series I have never played....how well do they really hold up after all this time?

BanzaiCat

I never finished any of these games...BG 1 or 2, ID 1 or 2, or the Temple one. Didn't ever play the Planescape one, though.

Baldur's Gate is somewhat frustrating to get through; I recall well how many times I'd get my ass kicked and have to reload...wait, did I save? I did, but two hours ago? Oh, sh*t. F*cking Baldur's Gate.  8)

If you don't like games that border on click-fests, or you're not a strong fan of D&D, I don't think you'll like these.

Grim.Reaper

I am certainly not a clickfest person, so better hold off on this....I guess if I never bought them before, something must have been holding me back, so no reason to cave now:)

BanzaiCat

Well, five bucks is a pretty good reason to cave.

The only reason I'm not buying it is I don't need more distractions right now. I would love to own it, but no idea when I'd get to it.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2014, 06:25:36 PM
Well, five bucks is a pretty good reason to cave.

The only reason I'm not buying it is I don't need more distractions right now. I would love to own it, but no idea when I'd get to it.

Sure, if your going to play it:)  Really trying to fight the urge this year in buying things and never playing them much......$5 does not mean much to me, but hate for these games just to be put on my backlog like the rest if I am not going to connect with them right away.

Gusington

^Good for you. I'm trying to do the same thing. So far so good.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2014, 05:51:43 PM
I never finished any of these games...BG 1 or 2, ID 1 or 2, or the Temple one. Didn't ever play the Planescape one, though.

Baldur's Gate is somewhat frustrating to get through; I recall well how many times I'd get my ass kicked and have to reload...wait, did I save? I did, but two hours ago? Oh, sh*t. F*cking Baldur's Gate.  8)

If you don't like games that border on click-fests, or you're not a strong fan of D&D, I don't think you'll like these.

Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one I finished.  It was wonderful with the Co8 fix/mod pack. 

Being turn-based, and very much based on D&D 3.0's combat system, it has far more strategy and decision-making in nearly all RPG aspects as the other older ones.  Actually it has the most slavishly reproduced combat system of any D&D pc game;  moreso than the later NWN series.   You'll see that in you first battle, with the plethora of commands to give and specific movement measurements. 

I thought it's main issue was being a tad too short for my tastes.  I was ready to start a second game but got into something else before having the chance.  It's a totally different system than the BG/ID series.  Another problem I had at it's release was the character models being woefully simple, even back then.

I don't think you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the Pause hotkey with it during combat, either, as with the other ones.   It defaults to turn-based after combat begins.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on January 18, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one I finished.  It was wonderful with the Co8 fix/mod pack. 

Being turn-based, and very much based on D&D 3.0's combat system, it has far more strategy and decision-making in nearly all RPG aspects as the other older ones.  Actually it has the most slavishly reproduced combat system of any D&D pc game;  moreso than the later NWN series.   You'll see that in you first battle, with the plethora of commands to give and specific movement measurements. 

I thought it's main issue was being a tad too short for my tastes.  I was ready to start a second game but got into something else before having the chance.  It's a totally different system than the BG/ID series.  Another problem I had at it's release was the character models being woefully simple, even back then.

I don't think you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the Pause hotkey with it during combat, either, as with the other ones.   It defaults to turn-based after combat begins.

If you're going to play ToEE try the Circle of Eight mod.
It improves a lot.

Nefaro

Quote from: Tpek on January 19, 2014, 10:25:07 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 18, 2014, 08:05:54 PM

Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one I finished. It was wonderful with the Co8 fix/mod pack

If you're going to play ToEE try the Circle of Eight mod.
It improves a lot.

Yes.  I mentioned it in the post you quoted.  ;)

:D

I'd almost say that you must use it due to the bug and possible compatibility fixes for newer OSes it has.  It also adds & unlocks more of the game's content, of course.  Talking about it makes me want to fire it up again, since I picked it up at GOG last year but haven't had a chance to have another go at it.

BanzaiCat

Blast! I could not resist! I bought the bloody thing.

BanzaiCat

By the way, that's 10+ GB of disk space required for this collection.