The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tpek

Quote from: Nefaro on January 19, 2014, 11:15:20 AM
Quote from: Tpek on January 19, 2014, 10:25:07 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on January 18, 2014, 08:05:54 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 18, 2014, 05:51:43 PM
I never finished any of these games...BG 1 or 2, ID 1 or 2, or the Temple one. Didn't ever play the Planescape one, though.

Baldur's Gate is somewhat frustrating to get through; I recall well how many times I'd get my ass kicked and have to reload...wait, did I save? I did, but two hours ago? Oh, sh*t. F*cking Baldur's Gate.  8)

If you don't like games that border on click-fests, or you're not a strong fan of D&D, I don't think you'll like these.

Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one I finished. It was wonderful with the Co8 fix/mod pack

Being turn-based, and very much based on D&D 3.0's combat system, it has far more strategy and decision-making in nearly all RPG aspects as the other older ones.  Actually it has the most slavishly reproduced combat system of any D&D pc game;  moreso than the later NWN series.   You'll see that in you first battle, with the plethora of commands to give and specific movement measurements. 

I thought it's main issue was being a tad too short for my tastes.  I was ready to start a second game but got into something else before having the chance.  It's a totally different system than the BG/ID series.  Another problem I had at it's release was the character models being woefully simple, even back then.

I don't think you have to be Johnny-on-the-spot with the Pause hotkey with it during combat, either, as with the other ones.   It defaults to turn-based after combat begins.

If you're going to play ToEE try the Circle of Eight mod.
It improves a lot.

Yes.  I mentioned it in the post you quoted.  ;)

:D

I'd almost say that you must use it due to the bug and possible compatibility fixes for newer OSes it has.  It also adds & unlocks more of the game's content, of course.  Talking about it makes me want to fire it up again, since I picked it up at GOG last year but haven't had a chance to have another go at it.

Lack of sleep certainly does wonders to one's reading comprehension :(
Sorry.

mirth

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 19, 2014, 11:24:56 AM
Blast! I could not resist! I bought the bloody thing.

Crap. Now I'll probably get it too.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Quote from: mirth on January 19, 2014, 01:52:55 PM
Quote from: Banzai_Cat on January 19, 2014, 11:24:56 AM
Blast! I could not resist! I bought the bloody thing.

Crap. Now I'll probably get it too.

Sorry, Mirth. But I'm having fun with BG1. It's a hell of a lot more stable than that 'enhanced edition' Steam crap I bought. I got all the way to the Friendly Arm Inn with zero trouble. It's great to go down memory lane with this game. Maybe I'll even finish it this time!

airboy

I finished all of them.  I finished Icewind Dale 1 & BG1 twice.

If you play BG1, read on how to win the final battle before you start playing.  It is very "gamey" to win the final battle - unless you have a couple of items.

I found BG2 irritating.  You have mages with all of these interlocking shields.  You have to cast the exact right sequence of spells to knock the shields down so you can actually damage the buggers.  That  became like a logic puzzle or a difficult and irritating set of fortran programs than a fun game.

But Minsk in BG1 & BG2 is simply great.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on January 19, 2014, 11:13:56 PM

But Minsk in BG1 & BG2 is simply great.

I never got into the whole Minsk thing as much as others did.  Of course, I didn't play even halfway through the BGs.

I'm more of an HK-47 fanboy.  The Assassin Droid from KOTOR who enjoyed elaborating on his specialty, yet tried to act like he was just a nice droid you should take home with you.   :D

:-*

Toonces

Quote from: airboy on January 19, 2014, 11:13:56 PM
I finished all of them.  I finished Icewind Dale 1 & BG1 twice.

That's pretty damn impressive, Airboy.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

^ Seconded. Back in the day I must have started BG1 ten or more times, changing my character slightly each time. I think the furthest I got was to the big city in the north - can't even remember what it's called but I'm sure I'll come across it again. I remember more than one boss fight where I had to reload twenty times before I finally got an acceptable result. Hell, I just had one of those happen to me (kinda) last night - the Ogre in the crossroads screen, south of the Friendly Arm Inn - I remember him being there so I would move forward a few paces, save, move forward a few paces, save, until I saw the brute, and even then it took five tries before I killed him without losing anyone in my party.

I chose to play a Human Ranger this time. I thought there were Half-Orcs in BG1, but apparently not. Half-Orcs are my D&D characters of choice.

mirth

Well I managed to avoid picking it up by watching football and drinking beer until I forgot about it. Now it's back up to $20. it was very tempting at $4.99 , but with the backlog of games I already have there wasn't much point really.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

steve58

Gamersgate has Sir, You Are Being Hunted for $10.  Daily Deal.  Steam key.  I'm semi-tempted by this one...

Early Access Roadmap
Sir is already in pretty good shape, and you can play through the game beginning to end. It's not a traditional linear FPS, and instead is a big sandbox where lots of systems interact. The alpha will see us putting more and more of those systems - mainly in the form of robot AI - into the game. We're aiming for monthly updates, but they might be even more regular than that as we stress test some of the big systems. As an early access player we'll want you to help us with questions like: are there enough resources in the world? Does the world-generation feel right? How do new robots change the dynamics of the world? Your feedback will shape the direction the game goes in, and even help define the features we implement.

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2014, 09:25:30 AM
Well I managed to avoid picking it up by watching football and drinking beer until I forgot about it. Now it's back up to $20. it was very tempting at $4.99 , but with the backlog of games I already have there wasn't much point really.

Me too....I was able to remain strong!

mirth

Now I just have to avoid the Humble Weekly Bundle with all the ARMA/ARMA II games.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: mirth on January 20, 2014, 10:58:31 AM
Now I just have to avoid the Humble Weekly Bundle with all the ARMA/ARMA II games.

Well, I did cave on something else...I did pick up the collector's edition of Company of Heroes 2 for $13 at Amazon....couldn't pass that up when normally around $80.  Even though I was in the beta and dropped out because of too fast gameplay, I knew I would pick it up some day when the price was right....with the collector's edition, you also get all the past versions of COH.  I had most of them but on disks, this gets me them via steam.

Gusington

^I have to admit that CoH2 was a big disappointment for me...like you say the gameplay was way too fast.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Greybriar

Until tomorrow GamersGate is offering Master of Magic for $1.80 U.S.

If you have never played this classic, now is your chance to get it for the cheapest price I've ever seen it sold for. Better hurry before the offer expires.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.