The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

The Steam page link just shows me the RO2 Heroes of Stalingrad option as free. What makes this the GOTY version?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 23, 2014, 08:23:16 PM
The Steam page link just shows me the RO2 Heroes of Stalingrad option as free. What makes this the GOTY version?

The "GOTY" version was just the huge update they added to the other day.  Everyone has it.  It was a free update with some extras added in.

Definitely can't complain about the pricing these guys have had on RO2 & Rising Storm.  I think I got RO2 for about five bucks and Rising Storm for about $15.  And then with this new content added the next year for free.

Staggerwing

Bummer. Then I already own it. And it always crashes.

OTOH, maybe the GOTY love will fix the Frozen Screenshot of Death.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bbmike

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 23, 2014, 09:08:16 PM

Well, I downloaded it and started the tutorial walkthrough. I didn't get far before getting 'low on memory' errors! My computer has 16gb of RAM and 2gb on the video card. Low on memory?!  :o
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

weateallthepies

Quote from: bbmike on April 24, 2014, 05:21:08 AM

Well, I downloaded it and started the tutorial walkthrough. I didn't get far before getting 'low on memory' errors! My computer has 16gb of RAM and 2gb on the video card. Low on memory?!  :o

Are you running Windows 8 or 8.1? I've been getting it in a few games.

There is a suggestion that you should make sure your desktop resolution is the same as the game resolution before you run games to stop this problem but I've not tested it yet.

Nefaro

Fookeen Windows 8, man.  What a sloppy abortion.  They should've made it touchpad only, for what it was intended.

I still get infuriated every time I attempt to fix something on Win8.  There's no excuse for putting that piece of shit on desktops and laptops.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yup.  I updated laptop Win 8 to version 8.1.1 and now AMD catalyst control centre crashes on startup.  And because it's a stupid Samsung, I have to use their corporate drivers because shitty Win 8.1 won't let me load AMD drivers instead.  Samsung hasn't updated the GPU drivers since last Oct.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Anyhoo.

If you downloaded the free version of Red Orchestra 2, why not pick up Rising Storm as well?  It's on sale on Steam for $4.99 until Apr 28.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234510/

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

bbmike

Quote from: weateallthepies on April 24, 2014, 06:11:09 AM

There is a suggestion that you should make sure your desktop resolution is the same as the game resolution before you run games to stop this problem but I've not tested it yet.

Windows 8.1 but that's not the problem. I've run Windows 8 since release. This is the only game that I've had an issue with.
I'll try changing the game resolution to see if that works.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Toonces

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on April 24, 2014, 12:47:54 PM
Anyhoo.

If you downloaded the free version of Red Orchestra 2, why not pick up Rising Storm as well?  It's on sale on Steam for $4.99 until Apr 28.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234510/

Oh man, you guys have to get RS for only 5 clams.  That is a great deal.

On a related note, I got my first crash ever in RO2/RS last night, so the problems you guys are having are likely new and related to the new patch.  I suspect we're not alone and it will be fixed, so be patient.  Up until yesterday, RO2/RS has been ROCK SOLID on my computer.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

weateallthepies

Quote from: bbmike on April 24, 2014, 05:48:34 PM
Quote from: weateallthepies on April 24, 2014, 06:11:09 AM

Windows 8.1 but that's not the problem. I've run Windows 8 since release. This is the only game that I've had an issue with.
I'll try changing the game resolution to see if that works.

I've not had it in many games, and it's been a bit hard to pin down. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the stupid nvidia optimus stuff in my laptop. Your problem of course may be entirely different, if I get a chance I'll test this game.

Yeah I've been running Windows 8 since it was in testing, and on the whole I'm pretty happy/comfortable with it. Still have a few issues here and there like the oddly high DPC latency, but it's the same with every iteration of Windows.

bbmike

Quote from: weateallthepies on April 25, 2014, 03:25:19 AM
I've not had it in many games, and it's been a bit hard to pin down. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the stupid nvidia optimus stuff in my laptop. Your problem of course may be entirely different, if I get a chance I'll test this game.

You might have hit on something there. I've also got the stupid nvidia optimus stuff in my laptop!

[UPDATE] Hear that chewing sound? That's me eating crow!
I was playing a game of Endless Space and decided to lower the screen resolution to make things more readable. The same Low Memory error happened that was happening in RO2. After a little research I found this discussion at Microsoft. Here's the key line:

According to some Intel folks at communities.intel.com (http://is.gd/71Vha2), Microsoft has confirmed the issue with Windows 8.1 in an internal email. It resides - as it was explained - on the DWM (Desktop Window Manager) which triggers a memory leak when running fullscreen games with a resolution different than the desktop resolution.

The memory leak fills the system memory and page file with junk until there's no more memory available.

We assume Microsoft is already working on a fix for this, altough we never heard anything "official" from them regarding the issue.

-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

Confirmed the above. If I lower my Windows resolution first and then start the game (in the same lower resolution) I do not get any Low Memory errors and everything works fine.
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak