The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 30, 2014, 06:00:29 AM
id say its a mental leap you have to make - CKII you have the guys face, his home, you can see his kids and all his characteristics, find him a wife and you can seriously RPG him like you would if it was you, or some crazy bastard you used to know

Its the same for the country, it has its own characteristics - trade items, resources, coastlines with ports and pirates, find it allies, name its rivals and go serious on anyone who steals a territory and also RPG it - this is the leap - like it was your country, how would you want to shape it and what decisions would you make. I pull back from gamey decisions or suicide decisions like attacking france too early or declaring war on X, because if i genuinely feel itll go bad, i wouldnt have done it if i was Grand Emperor Undercovergeek in 1472!

Brilliant...! Never saw it that way but you are right. I think I may go back and dive into both of them again!

steve58

Quote from: steve58 on May 29, 2014, 03:09:58 PM
At $3.74, I'm gonna have to pick up that Conquest of Paradise DLC.  Wonder why the Conquistadors and Native Americans (I) unit DLCs aren't included in the sale.

:tickedoff: Conquest of Paradise DLC is now $8.99.  I knew I shoulda grabbed it yesterday.  >:(
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Gusington

I can make a career of the study of EUIV and the proper dlc to get...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on May 30, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

Perhaps it would better to share with us what dlc's not to get and then by default, we get the rest?

BanzaiCat

Gusington

And just like that, exactly 10 minutes ago, a 20% off voucher just came through from Green Man Gaming, good for the new Wolfenstein game. Brings the price down to 48.00, exactly a penny more than Grim's link from Get Games Go. For loyalty's sake I will spend that penny and stick with Green Man.

Wolfenstein trumps EUIV for me this weekend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Quote from: Rayfer on May 30, 2014, 10:39:43 AM
Quote from: Gusington on May 30, 2014, 10:17:13 AM

Perhaps it would better to share with us what dlc's not to get and then by default, we get the rest?

Conquest of Paradise for EU4 has extra colonial/americas stuff.  One of the most interesting facets of the game, exploration and colonization, gets some extra attention in it.  I've still not checked out the randomization of the 'new world' but that's exactly what it needed to keep the colonization from becoming so predictable from game to game.  ;)

The new Trade one also looks interesting.  I like what they've done with the trade system in EU4 (compared to EU3).  The land trade routes were still rather uninvolving compared to the sea lanes and this one looks like it may address that along with adding more diplomatic options regarding trade.  Will probably be a "must have" too but I may wait and see if it needs some patching before picking it up.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 30, 2014, 11:26:48 AM
Silent Service 1 + 2 is $2.99 on GOG.com:

http://www.gog.com/game/silent_service_12

I spent so many untold hours playing Silent Service on the C64 as a kid.  It looks so primitive today.  Not as bad as F-15SE but yeah. :2funny: 

I'd really rather see the first Silent Hunter hosted on GOG.  While I have an old CD for it, the thing is a bit of a pain to get up & running with DOSbox.  Would rather pay GOG a few bucks to already have that crap done.   O0

steve58

Quote from: steve58 on May 30, 2014, 09:37:13 AM
Quote from: steve58 on May 29, 2014, 03:09:58 PM
At $3.74, I'm gonna have to pick up that Conquest of Paradise DLC.  Wonder why the Conquistadors and Native Americans (I) unit DLCs aren't included in the sale.

:tickedoff: Conquest of Paradise DLC is now $8.99.  I knew I shoulda grabbed it yesterday.  >:(

...and now can be had for $3.74 at Amazon.  Grab it while you can...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 11:52:20 AM
I'd really rather see the first Silent Hunter hosted on GOG.  While I have an old CD for it, the thing is a bit of a pain to get up & running with DOSbox.  Would rather pay GOG a few bucks to already have that crap done.   O0

Exactamundo. I don't like sub sims, but SS and SSII were favorites back in the day. I even enjoyed the hell out of GATO on the Apple IIc.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on May 30, 2014, 12:23:51 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on May 30, 2014, 11:52:20 AM

Exactamundo. I don't like sub sims, but SS and SSII were favorites back in the day. I even enjoyed the hell out of GATO on the Apple IIc.

In my case, I'd rather just load up Silent Hunter: Wolves of the Pacific than play the ancient Silent Service games.  But the first Silent Hunter is still a good sim and looks pretty good for a 2D DOS-based game, even today.  It really reminded me of the old Silent Service games, but to a more modern standard, so the best of both.

EDIT:  Someone on the GOG forum reported that Silent Service 2's digitized speech isn't working - it's just garbled static(?).  Sad.. that's part of it's charm.  I had the same compatibility issues with Wizardry 7 in DOSbox too but I think someone posted a fix for that one in their forum.

JasonPratt

Not lying: I still dream occasionally about running UBoats from SS1 and SS2. Oddly, about half the time I'm running the boats in rivers.  ???

Dream graphics are comparable to Silent Hunter, with some upgrades like the sub missions from Medal of Honor for being able to travel around the boat.

I just threw away my old SS2 box and discs etc. yesterday while trying to make room in my storage for other things, figuring it was probably on GoG anyway if I wanted it. IS THIS A SIGN!?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Also currently on sale at GoG, Warlords: Battlecry3, arguably the best non-squad-based RTS (i.e. one where your units don't automatically form up into squads). Like most games of its day, a veritable mess to move units around, but wow the depth otherwise...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

Matrixgames Deal of the week is Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition for $40 (digital download) / $55 (box+digital download)!

In this week's Deal of the Week you have an opportunity to get your hands in one of the most succesful monster games we've got in the store, graced by a humongous 196 pages full color manual for the boxed edition.

It may also be the game with one of the biggest maps out there, with half the planet covered and hex the cover 40 miles each, the longest game you've ever played, with 15 campaigns, not to mention the game with the longest title ever. That's Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition.

Make sure you get your copy as the Deal of the Week is only valied until June 8th!

Martok

Yeah, I saw that.  Talk about temptation I do not need! 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces