The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Nefaro on June 09, 2014, 07:37:30 PM
I enjoyed Matrix' Carriers At War.  It definitely could've used more scenarios in the end.. not just multiple variants of a few. 

I've been debating loading it up again because not only is the carrier 'hide and seek' enjoyable but you can finish a scenario in an hour or two, with lots of nail-biting the whole time.

Wasn't there a CaW game from the early 1990s by SSG? I freaking loved that game and played it to death. I wish I could get this game, but my b-day will be here in a few months, so I might treat myself then. If I remember, lol...

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 10, 2014, 09:48:01 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on June 09, 2014, 07:37:30 PM
I enjoyed Matrix' Carriers At War.  It definitely could've used more scenarios in the end.. not just multiple variants of a few. 

I've been debating loading it up again because not only is the carrier 'hide and seek' enjoyable but you can finish a scenario in an hour or two, with lots of nail-biting the whole time.

Wasn't there a CaW game from the early 1990s by SSG? I freaking loved that game and played it to death. I wish I could get this game, but my b-day will be here in a few months, so I might treat myself then. If I remember, lol...

The one on sale at Matrix is the remake of same.

I enjoyed the new one.  The interface is generally quite good and intuitive, and it looks good as far as wargames go.  As mentioned, it doesn't have as many scenarios as the old ones.  Many of them are variants of others.

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Nefaro. I remember that with the old one, I'd almost always play the Japanese and sometimes would go on rolls where I'd sink every US carrier facing me...good times. Only thing I didn't like was when I did get lucky enough to have huge wins like that, having to sit back and wait months for the Americans to build new super-carriers and rush them off to battle me in the same locales; that didn't make much sense. Sometimes upwards of six months would go by and then boom, another battle in the same location where I just handed the US Navy one of their worst disasters ever. I would think the Japanese would make some advances in that time.

Does this new version do the same thing pretty much?

Hell, even if it does, I'm down to get it within a few months.

Nefaro

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on June 10, 2014, 09:54:44 AM
Thanks, Nefaro. I remember that with the old one, I'd almost always play the Japanese and sometimes would go on rolls where I'd sink every US carrier facing me...good times. Only thing I didn't like was when I did get lucky enough to have huge wins like that, having to sit back and wait months for the Americans to build new super-carriers and rush them off to battle me in the same locales; that didn't make much sense. Sometimes upwards of six months would go by and then boom, another battle in the same location where I just handed the US Navy one of their worst disasters ever. I would think the Japanese would make some advances in that time.

Does this new version do the same thing pretty much?

Hell, even if it does, I'm down to get it within a few months.

No.  As far as I recall, there are no strategic considerations to be had.  You are placed in command of a handful of task forces or bases for a specific battle (such as the battle of Midway) and go from there.  There are numerous options for how quickly you want time to proceed but you'll never have to wait months for something to happen IIRC.

airboy

Carriers at War has a set of specific carrier battles from the Pacific in WW2.  There is no strategic game that I remember.  There is no wait time for ship building in the game that I can recall.

BanzaiCat

Good to know. Thanks all. Sorry to hijack the sales thread.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Martok

GamersGate is throwing a 48-hour summer sale.  A lot of good games a good price on that list. 

http://www.gamersgate.com/?aff=ggnews

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Nefaro

Wargame: Red Dragon is 33% Off on Steam right now.

sandman2575

Steam's selling the whole "Wargame Franchise" pack for $30???    NOOOOOOOO!!!!   Must!  Resist!

mirth

Fortunately I don't think either of my laptops can handle the newer games in that series. Otherwise I'd be buying the bundle tonight.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

-budd-

Quote from: mirth on June 12, 2014, 03:26:11 PM
Fortunately I don't think either of my laptops can handle the newer games in that series. Otherwise I'd be buying the bundle tonight.

I don't have red dragon, but the first 2 play fine on my laptop: second gen core I3 with an integrated intel card and 8 gigs of ram. The integrated card has only 64 dedicated ram and up too  1.8 gigs shared. YMMV

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

mirth

You're not helping, -budd- :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

-budd-

Quote from: mirth on June 12, 2014, 04:08:40 PM
You're not helping, -budd- :P

I could throw up a game play video from my machine if it would help you decide to jump into this once in a lifetime offer. O0
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.