The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

^^ Haven't gotten around to playing it myself yet (probably during the Christmas sale), but everything I've heard from fellow Grogs has been moderately to highly positive.

The only negative opinion I recall was from someone who couldn't get into the earlier versions of the game either, which is fair and makes sense. Though if you're going to try one to test it out, I don't really recommend AoW1. AoW2 at least, but AoW:Shadow Magic (or 2+) is significantly better and aside from the 'story' campaign (which I don't recall meaning much in AoW2) keeps all the good from AoW2.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: republic on December 04, 2014, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: bbmike on December 04, 2014, 06:40:43 AM
If this is true then the GoG winter sale starts any time now and if you're fast you can snag a copy of the first Age of Wonders!

I've been living under a rock, what is the Grogheads opinion of Age of Wonders 3?

It's good.

Reminiscent of AOW2 but with improvements in some areas.  Although it's shorter on playable factions at the moment... saved for the DLC stream.  One of the bigger complaints about AOW2, the battle AI, is better in #3 I think.

bayonetbrant

http://store.steampowered.com/app/325470/

Quote1953: NATO vs Warsaw Pact is a game where World War III becomes a reality. Will once again this conflict become a panzer corps' clash of steel, or maybe the strategic command will decide to nuke the enemy out of the globe.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Huw the Poo

I've been living under a rock, what is the Grogheads opinion of Age of Wonders 3?

AoW3 is to AoW2:SM what Oblivion/Skyrim are to Morrowind - that is, better graphics but inferior gameplay.  Nobody was more excited about AoW3 than me, but when it finally came out I was disappointed.

Still, they seem to be working on adding missing content (some of which I'm sure you'll have to pay for).

My opinion is not shared by the majority of players so you can safely ignore it.

sandman2575

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 04, 2014, 02:18:23 PM
My opinion is not shared by the majority of players so you can safely ignore it.

;D  This seems "sig line worthy" to me.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Nefaro on December 04, 2014, 10:14:35 AM
One of the bigger complaints about AOW2, the battle AI, is better in #3 I think.

True, but the biggest complaint successfully fixed was the lack of a procedurally generated sandbox (a la Master of Magic which AoW was trying hard to live up to -- and pretty much did with AoW:SM).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

I never played AoW1 or 2 but I really enjoy 3...kinda backing up what Huw says above but in reverse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

Quote from: bbmike on December 04, 2014, 06:40:43 AM
If this is true then the GoG winter sale starts any time now and if you're fast you can snag a copy of the first Age of Wonders!

Get it.  While it's somewhat heavier on the war/combat aspect and lighter on the empire-development side than I'd really prefer (for that, I have Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes), AoW3 is still an enjoyable fantasy 4x game.  And with the DLC that's coming out, it can only get better. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

BanzaiCat

I geeked out last night at our company's Christmas party because I won two $50 gift cards. I gave one to my wife and kept the other, thinking how I could use it to get some sale games online!

Went to GOG.com and loaded up on a bunch of stuff I'd been wanting...especially because I saw Dragon Commander Imperial Edition for only $9 there...

...and of course I can't buy any of it because Visa gift cards do not work internationally. :(

Staggerwing

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on December 07, 2014, 06:00:10 PM
I geeked out last night at our company's Christmas party because I won two $50 gift cards. I gave one to my wife and kept the other, thinking how I could use it to get some sale games online!

Went to GOG.com and loaded up on a bunch of stuff I'd been wanting...especially because I saw Dragon Commander Imperial Edition for only $9 there...

...and of course I can't buy any of it because Visa gift cards do not work internationally. :(

IIRC, there is a way to convert the card to a Paypal balance.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

BanzaiCat

Thanks, Stagger. I tried it but GOG still won't accept the payment.

Toonces

I know there was some discussion earlier...Darklands is on sale at GoG for 50% off ($3) and I just saw AoW3 Deluxe for just under $15...that seems like a pretty good deal, right?
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Tuna

Grab AOW3, it is great.. very addictive!

BanzaiCat

I've got Darklands on my wishlist on Steam, but it's way overpriced there compared to GOG. I'd grab both if I could, Toonces.

Martok

Quote from: Toonces on December 08, 2014, 12:27:17 AM
and I just saw AoW3 Deluxe for just under $15...that seems like a pretty good deal, right?
Get it get it get it!!!  :knuppel2: 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces