The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

The Matrix/Slitherine sale is still active as of this posting and I'm eyeing GGWTW. Is this game as detail oriented as WITP? Can the air war portion be played separately? I know it's a monster but I was hoping it was more of the 'easy to play but hard to master' kind of game than WITP is. Also, the box version would be $66 v the d/l only version's $56 price. Should I spring for it?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Pete Dero

Unity of command trilogy : 6,99 €   http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39258/

I don't own this game, any suggestions or impressions ?

Barthheart

Quote from: Pete Dero on April 08, 2015, 08:52:37 AM
Unity of command trilogy : 6,99 €   http://store.steampowered.com/sub/39258/

I don't own this game, any suggestions or impressions ?

Great fun little game, but it is very puzzle like. The AI and the UI are just fantastic. Once you figure out the missions the re-play might be limited.
For that price it's well worth it.

Huw the Poo

Yeah, Unity of Command is definitely a puzzle game disguised as a strategy game.  I understand that's fine for some, but I certainly didn't get what I thought I was getting.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: Huw the Poo on April 08, 2015, 09:25:19 AM
Yeah, Unity of Command is definitely a puzzle game disguised as a strategy game.  I understand that's fine for some, but I certainly didn't get what I thought I was getting.

I never could put my finger on it until I read these sentiments. There's very few solutions to each scenario, so this is a great way to describe the game. I really want to like it but I just can't.

Rayfer

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 07, 2015, 08:06:02 PM
The Matrix/Slitherine sale is still active as of this posting and I'm eyeing GGWTW. Is this game as detail oriented as WITP? Can the air war portion be played separately? I know it's a monster but I was hoping it was more of the 'easy to play but hard to master' kind of game than WITP is. Also, the box version would be $66 v the d/l only version's $56 price. Should I spring for it?

I just picked up War in the West during the Matrix 30% off sale so I'm not exactly sure about a separate air war portion. There is an air war phase during each turn in which you can do everything from letting the ai do it all up to micro-managing just about everything. It has great depth and detail. Check their website. I seem to remember reading that the first add on will include a strategic air war only scenario or two.

Ubercat

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on April 08, 2015, 10:07:49 AM

I never could put my finger on it until I read these sentiments. There's very few solutions to each scenario, so this is a great way to describe the game. I really want to like it but I just can't.

+1
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

JasonPratt

Quote from: Ubercat on April 08, 2015, 11:19:30 AM

+1

I do like the game, but as noted it's a puzzle game based on a large-scale simplified version of Panzer General mechanics.

What's worse, the randomness in the game tends to work more in favor of the enemy than otherwise: the time/space constraints for a victory are much harsher than in PG (and most of its variations), so one or two bad dice rolls on the combat can hose you early or late; or a bad stroke of weather at the wrong place on any turn, early or late, can devastate any chance of winning a mission.

You might think, well, each mission only lasts 6 or 8 or 5 turns anyway, so in the worst case scenario a random bad roll kills my chances after only x turns and I can play those again quickly... Except there are routinely two dozen 'pieces' or more for you to manage on each mission, so no turn goes quick.

It's very much an acquired taste. If there's a demo, I absolutely recommend you try that first, Pete.

(Having said that, I'm seriously thinking of rebuying it on Steam just so I can port it easily to my new Surface Pro: I can't figure out how to install it from disc onto a computer with no disc drive.  ::) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

smittyohio

Quote from: JasonPratt on April 08, 2015, 12:26:30 PM
Quote from: Ubercat on April 08, 2015, 11:19:30 AM

+1

I do like the game, but as noted it's a puzzle game based on a large-scale simplified version of Panzer General mechanics.

What's worse, the randomness in the game tends to work more in favor of the enemy than otherwise: the time/space constraints for a victory are much harsher than in PG (and most of its variations), so one or two bad dice rolls on the combat can hose you early or late; or a bad stroke of weather at the wrong place on any turn, early or late, can devastate any chance of winning a mission.

You might think, well, each mission only lasts 6 or 8 or 5 turns anyway, so in the worst case scenario a random bad roll kills my chances after only x turns and I can play those again quickly... Except there are routinely two dozen 'pieces' or more for you to manage on each mission, so no turn goes quick.

It's very much an acquired taste. If there's a demo, I absolutely recommend you try that first, Pete.

(Having said that, I'm seriously thinking of rebuying it on Steam just so I can port it easily to my new Surface Pro: I can't figure out how to install it from disc onto a computer with no disc drive.  ::) )

Try this... Copy the whole disc onto a USB driver, and see if you can install from that.   If that doesn't work, an alternative is to use your desktop to create an ISO image of the disk, copy it to your surface, mount it (right click option), and install it that way.   I think I got a pretty good deal on a portable DVD drive, so that's what i tend to use most of the time.  But those other options have all worked for me also.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Rayfer on April 08, 2015, 10:41:16 AM

I just picked up War in the West during the Matrix 30% off sale so I'm not exactly sure about a separate air war portion. There is an air war phase during each turn in which you can do everything from letting the ai do it all up to micro-managing just about everything. It has great depth and detail. Check their website. I seem to remember reading that the first add on will include a strategic air war only scenario or two.

Well, I ended up ordering as well. I hope it's not too much for my widdle bwain to even get past the first few turns of a campaign.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Rayfer

Quote from: Staggerwing on April 08, 2015, 05:16:15 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on April 08, 2015, 10:41:16 AM

Well, I ended up ordering as well. I hope it's not too much for my widdle bwain to even get past the first few turns of a campaign.

I haven't touched the campaign yet. The 20 page players guide is used in conjunction with the 7 turn tutorial scenario invasion of Sicily and covers how to work the air war, airborne invasions, sea invasions, etc. etc.  It is really well done.

Asid

DCS Spring 2015 Sale!

Spring is here and it's time to reward yourself with some new DCS modules at great savings! Take advantage of this sale that runs from Thursday April 9th at 12:00 Moscow time to Monday April 13th at 12:00 Moscow time.

http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/

DCS: Flaming Cliffs 3: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: A-10C Warthog: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: Black Shark 2: $39.99 to $11.99 (70% off)
DCS: P-51D Mustang: $29.99 to $8.99 (70% off)
DCS: Fw 190 D-9 Dora: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Bf 109 K-4 Kurfürst: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Combined Arms: $19.99 to $5.99 (70% off)
F-15C for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-27 The Ultimate Argument Campaign: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
A-10A for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
Su-25 for DCS World: $9.99 to $2.99 (70% off)
DCS: MiG-15bis: $49.99 to $19.99 (40% off)
DCS: F-86F Sabre: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: UH-1H Huey: $49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight: 49.99 to $14.99 (70% off)
DCS: C-101 Aviojet: $59.99 to $17.99 (70% off)
DCS: MiG-21bis: $49.99 to $24.99 (50% off)
Hawk T.1A for DCS World: $39.99 to $19.99 (50% off)
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

JasonPratt

Smitty, I shall definitely keep that advice in mind!  O0
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

BanzaiCat

Humble Bundle's weekly thingamajigbob has the following games for a minimum purchase of $7:

Small World 2 Complete Pack
Magnifico
Talisman: Digital Edition
Talisman: Digital Edition Frostmarch Expansion
Catan: Creator's Edition
Ticket to Ride Complete Pack
100% Orange Juice
100% Orange Juice Syura & Nanako Character Pack