The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

Heh, well, theme it has, in spades.  No story though - it's literally a game of conquest, each and every time.  Your one and only goal is to dominate the opposition.

I'm not going to lie to you, it is hard to get into.  There are simply so many mechanics, so much to bear in mind as you take each turn, and so many different units, spells, nations, items and so on.  You will agonise over every decision, and in later (and bigger) games you can literally spend hours taking a single turn (hours isn't necessary by any means, but like Chess, the more thought you put into your strategy, the better your chance of succeeding).

The manual is extremely comprehensive though and I think there's even a rudimentary tutorial if memory serves.  The Internet is littered with AARs and strategy discussions, and there are some let's play videos on Youtube.  There are even some very seasoned players right here on Grogheads.

It's 75% off.  I really think you should give it a punt if the graphics are the only thing holding you back.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Huw the Poo on June 16, 2015, 12:38:40 PM
Quote from: weateallthepies on June 16, 2015, 11:13:28 AM
Dominions 4 is currently 75% off in the steam sale. Trying to decide whether I will enjoy it enough to get past the hideous graphics.

It's pretty much the deepest, most involving strategy game there is outside of wargaming, with an unparalleled multiplayer experience and truly astonishing replayability.  Are you going to deny yourself that because of the graphics? ;)
Yes - and don't judge me Welshman!  :P
Alba gu' brath

Huw the Poo

Quote from: JudgeDredd on June 16, 2015, 01:09:52 PM
Yes - and don't judge me Welshman!  :P

Sorry?  I couldn't understand a word of that! :P

FlickJax

Dominions - I just don't see it

Tried playing 3 found it boring, are all these mechanics everyone goes on about hidden?

Bison

Quote from: FlickJax on June 16, 2015, 04:04:39 PM

Tried playing 3 found it boring, are all these mechanics everyone goes on about hidden?
This makes me want to cry.... :'(

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on June 16, 2015, 04:45:10 PM

This makes me want to cry.... :'(

LOL

Confuses me.

Philippe

The Ship is on sale at Steam for $1.99.

A useful buy if we ever get around to re-staging grogheads nautical murder night.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Shelldrake

Pillars of Eternity is 33% reduced on Steam as a Daily Deal.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

weateallthepies

Distant Worlds Universe is back at 50% off on steam.

Also Shadowrun Boston thingy is at 66% off.

JasonPratt

Back to Blackguards for a minute: not sure how long this'll be true (maybe only another twenty minutes), but the collection of all Blackguards games currently costs less than Blackguards 2 by itself, even when that's also discounted!

Picked up the series consequently, since I didn't have any of it.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

....yes. Yes it is. Only after learning the hidden subtleties of the game will you be able to summon an army of Ghidoras to guard the succubus who is spreading the religion of your flying undead octopus into a region inhabited by giant Norse fairies (who aren't Norse giants, those are in the next region over) led by a pool of blood; and give your three-headed dragons bags which allow them to breathe underwater.

But if you aren't worthy of doing that, you won't.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

steve58

DailyIndieGame has Battleplan: American Civil War for $0.99 for the next ~52 hours or so...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 18, 2015, 11:48:44 AM

....yes. Yes it is. Only after learning the hidden subtleties of the game will you be able to summon an army of Ghidoras to guard the succubus who is spreading the religion of your flying undead octopus into a region inhabited by giant Norse fairies (who aren't Norse giants, those are in the next region over) led by a pool of blood; and give your three-headed dragons bags which allow them to breathe underwater.

O0

>:D

FlickJax

Quote from: Nefaro on June 18, 2015, 04:18:43 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on June 18, 2015, 11:48:44 AM

O0

>:D

Nope - I guess it just isnt for me

steve58

Humble Store has Napoleon: Total War on sale for 200 pennies in honor of 200th Anniversary of The Battle of Waterloo through June 22.

GOG.com's Summer Sale is winding down.  Sale Finale for the next ~46 hours...
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)