The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

I really want to get AssCreed Rogue but I promised myself to wait until it dips lower than 30.00 on Steam. I can get it on Amazon (physical copy) for 29.00...what to do...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Gus, the 'physical copy' will probably be a box with a long-outdated disk and a Steam Code. Buy the box, enter the Steam Code into Steam, D/L the whole game, and then use the disk as a spinning window ornament on a string.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Gusington

You're right, but somehow I just want the damned price over at Steam to go lower. I get some kind of weird satisfaction that way...

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Boggit

Quote from: Gusington on June 19, 2015, 09:48:22 PM
You're right, but somehow I just want the damned price over at Steam to go lower. I get some kind of weird satisfaction that way...
A number of distributors - Steam included - have missed me snagging some items in their sales because the price hasn't hit that "sweet spot". I get yer Gus.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

sandman2575

The sweet spot in my book is $14.99.  Once a game dips below $15, if I have any interest in it, I'm almost certain to buy at that point.  Which is why I really wish Steam had an "Under $15" tab in its Sales menu, in addition to the existing Under $10 and Under $5 tabs...

JudgeDredd

Anyone remotely interested in racing games, Project Cars is a huge 40% off at £23.99. A great game at full price (£40), a steal at that price imo.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

JD, where do you fall down on the timeless "Project Cars" vs. "Assetto Corsa" debate?  I'm tempted to pick one of these up but opinion seems deeply divided about them.  I'd probably prefer something not too hardcore, since I've never really played driver sims -- PC seems to be the preferred one in that case --  ?  And can one play comfortably with an Xbox controller?

JudgeDredd

I can't comment on XBox controllers I'm afraid. I would never recommend driving a driving game with a controller - but that's just me and I believe controllers have got much better over the years.

I know Project Cars is being used quite widespread with controllers.

As for one or the other - mmm. Difficult. For me they are both fantastic fun.
PCars has a large amount of cars, a large amount of tracks and a better career system - though I'm only part way through it at the moment

Assetto Corsa has a better "driving" feel - you can feel the car losing grip and pull it back more often than not

They are both great and both deserve a place on your HD if you enjoy driving sims.

Having said all that - Assetto Corsa has not been fired up since I bought pCars. It's that good imo. I'm not removing AC - but I'm not going back to it at the moment. I'm having way too much fun with pCars.

I also think both are quite appealing even if you aren't looking for something hardcore. For pure fun though, I have to say pCars has the edge. The whole "overall" package is just more complete.

All imo of course.
Alba gu' brath

sandman2575

Very helpful -- thanks for the feedback.  O0

Gusington

I loved driving games as a kid but haven't played one in years...how easy is each of the above to get into?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JudgeDredd

I've played driving sims for years so I'm probably not the best person to ask.

Both interfaces are kinda quirky, but for sheer "jump in and drive" fun, pCars imo.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

Most of the games JD posts up are meant to be played with a wheel.  Trying to play AC or the F1 games with a controller is equivalent to playing Il-2 or Falcon with a controller. 

If you're not going to invest in a wheel setup, I'd recommend going with a more arcadey driving game than the ones JD posts up.  Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

BanzaiCat

Age of Wonders III is 9.99 on Steam, so I grabbed a copy. Not sure my PC can keep up with it, it's already crashed once running it.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on June 21, 2015, 07:42:03 AM
Most of the games JD posts up are meant to be played with a wheel.  Trying to play AC or the F1 games with a controller is equivalent to playing Il-2 or Falcon with a controller. 

If you're not going to invest in a wheel setup, I'd recommend going with a more arcadey driving game than the ones JD posts up.  Sorry, I don't have any recommendations.
I would generally agree - but I have heard pCars plays well with a controller. I'd confirm that round about though if I were you.

It's not something I would do or ever really recommend - you just can't beat a wheel.
Alba gu' brath

Bison

Grid 2 play well with an Xbox controller and of course you have the Need for Speed series and Burnout Paradise.