The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnus

I read the above story about gray markets.

I seem to be missing something.

I was under the impression that the games I bought from CDkeys was from CDkeys.

The article makes it seems like they are just a clearing house for other people who want to sell their keys, whether they bought them legally or not.

More like Ebay than a real company selling something.

Wolfe1759

I've (I hope) purchased via CDKeys at £17.99

No Steam key yet as to roughly quote "pre-order keys will be available on the day of release or a bit earlier"

I've bought once before from CDKeys and it was OK.

So I guess my £17.99 is at the moment resting on the outcome of Laissez-faire vs Caveat Emptor to mix my economic linguistics  :-\
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Grim.Reaper

I don't think you'll have an issue...mine has always been delivered on or before the date specified....they are even real good with refunds.  I decided to buy a game from somewhere else after pre-ordering and they refunded me within a day.

Tuna

Quote from: Wolfe1759 on May 27, 2016, 07:18:07 PM
I've (I hope) purchased via CDKeys at £17.99

No Steam key yet as to roughly quote "pre-order keys will be available on the day of release or a bit earlier"

I've bought once before from CDKeys and it was OK.

So I guess my £17.99 is at the moment resting on the outcome of Laissez-faire vs Caveat Emptor to mix my economic linguistics  :-\

My Stellaris purchase gave the same message, and on the day it was released I received my key.

Rayfer

Steam has Distant Worlds:Universe on sale for $23.99.  Something like 60% off.  Great 4X space game.

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on May 28, 2016, 12:58:28 PM
Steam has Distant Worlds:Universe on sale for $23.99.  Something like 60% off.  Great 4X space game.

That's a great deal for a Matrix game!
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

veb_yw

Quote from: Greybriar on May 28, 2016, 03:34:49 PM

DWU is great fun! Get the UI and AI mods to beef up the basic game and if you become bored with that, there are great mods that revamp the tech trees.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: veb_yw on May 28, 2016, 06:34:09 PM
Quote from: Greybriar on May 28, 2016, 03:34:49 PM

DWU is great fun! Get the UI and AI mods to beef up the basic game and if you become bored with that, there are great mods that revamp the tech trees.

Really torn...I have the game minus the Shadows/Universe version...debating whether worth it for me and if I will actually play it...seemed to overwhelm me in the past.

sandman2575

DW:U is still the best space 4x game out there. Stellaris is still in its infancy and I trust it will improve over time with expansions and DLC. But right now, for my money, DW:U is the single space 4x game I *must* have installed on my HD. Stellaris feels pretty shallow and sterile by comparison to me.

$24 is a complete steal.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: sandman2575 on May 28, 2016, 07:26:17 PM
DW:U is still the best space 4x game out there. Stellaris is still in its infancy and I trust it will improve over time with expansions and DLC. But right now, for my money, DW:U is the single space 4x game I *must* have installed on my HD. Stellaris feels pretty shallow and sterile by comparison to me.

$24 is a complete steal.

Everyone always makes it sound so good, that is why I am on the fence...I have no doubt it is a very good 4x game, just a matter if I can grasp it enough to play...

Greybriar

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 28, 2016, 08:03:07 PM
Everyone always makes it sound so good, that is why I am on the fence...I have no doubt it is a very good 4x game, just a matter if I can grasp it enough to play...

I understand your hesitancy--tastes in PC games vary. The best of games has its detractors and even the worst games have their fans. Despite the high ratings a game may have, a gamer may not like a particular game for whatever reason. In the absence of a demo, I believe a YouTube video of Distant Worlds: Universe would help you decide whether to buy the game or not. Perhaps a written review by a game reviewer you trust would help, someone like James Allen, perhaps?

As for me, I purchased Distant Worlds: Universe some time ago because of the recommendations of many gamers. I played around with it once...and never touched it again. But games that take place in space haven't held much interest for me since Master of Orion II, so I shouldn't have been surprised.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Greybriar on May 28, 2016, 09:36:34 PM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on May 28, 2016, 08:03:07 PM

I understand your hesitancy--tastes in PC games vary. The best of games has its detractors and even the worst games have their fans. Despite the high ratings a game may have, a gamer may not like a particular game for whatever reason. In the absence of a demo, I believe a YouTube video of Distant Worlds: Universe would help you decide whether to buy the game or not. Perhaps a written review by a game reviewer you trust would help, someone like James Allen, perhaps?

As for me, I purchased Distant Worlds: Universe some time ago because of the recommendations of many gamers. I played around with it once...and never touched it again. But games that take place in space haven't held much interest for me since Master of Orion II, so I shouldn't have been surprised.

Yep, different strokes for different folks....this is one of those games where I want to enjoy, especially after reading all the favorable reviews, but just might be too complex for me.  I do own the original DW and 1 or 2 of its expansions so I have a rough idea, just wasn't sure if the latest material might have improved it more and/or more accessible for me.  I am guessing I would try it once and then it would sit again, so leaning towards not picking up at this time.

bobarossa

I believe the biggest change with Universe is the ease of moddability.  Ability to play as pirates may also be new with it.  I think the game is basically the same otherwise.  The mods do add greatly to the experience (Star Trek in several flavors, Warhammer, etc).  Personally, I like it a lot.   

Huw the Poo

Grim.Reaper

hhhmmm...call to arms only $6.24....seen others talk about this one, might be worth the plunge.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/302670/