The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Quote from: mirth on September 30, 2016, 04:29:24 AM
Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2016, 08:59:42 PM
To be honest...and I love the DA games...you-know-what beats it in every way to Sunday.

I know... I know...

You talking' 'bout this one?

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Greybriar

Quote from: Rayfer on September 29, 2016, 02:24:15 PM
....We are in a gaming golden age, no doubt about it.

There is certainly a huge flood of games available these days, not only new releases but also retro games that are being made available again. The sad part is that I (and probably every gamer) will not have time to play all those he or she would like to play.

The only reason that comes to mind that might prevent this period from being called a golden age of gaming is the existence of so many stinkers that are in the mix, but there have always been those.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Gusington

The Witcher 3 is not only one of my favorite games ever, it is one of my favorite things ever. Just completed the Bloody Baron line, have played about 15 hours and the GOG utility tells me I have played through about 4% of the game (!!!)

I am planning on doing some secondary quests and then make my way to Novigrad. I am as excited to go there as I would be to go to Vienna or Prague or Moscow in real life.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on September 29, 2016, 07:37:08 PM
Wailing on thugs as Batman is very therapeutic.

Quote from: Gusington on September 29, 2016, 07:40:42 PM
I could use more of that.

Well, I hope you picked it up on sale while you could; but it'll be back soon enough with the fall/winter holiday sales on the way from GG and Steam (and no doubt other places with Steam key access).

But yes, it's super therapeutic; and whole modes of the game are set up to do only that: whether in straight up fights, or in predator hunts. (You can also usually whale on thugs as other characters in those modes, except not in Asylum, but Batman is still the best because he has the most skilz and tech to work with. As it should be.  8) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Sorry The Witcher 3 would not allow me to get another game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: Gusington on October 02, 2016, 08:50:38 PM
Sorry The Witcher 3 would not allow me to get another game.

I know what you mean Gus.  My wife told me too not to buy any more games.  Oh wait, that's not what you meant.   :2funny:
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

^It is kinda sorta. Oh crap here she comes...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

^Quick!  Logout of here and google something productive like home improvements.  Then she'll think you're doing good!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Shelldrake

Humble Bundle has Company of Heroes plus its 2 expansions for $1. The Oberkommando West expansion for CoH2 is also included but you need to go to the next tier to get the base game.

https://www.humblebundle.com/company-of-heroes-10th-anniversary
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

A lot of ridiculously epic WW2 in that bundle.  :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Bardolph

CoH2 any good?

To be honest, I never quite got on with CoH1. I liked the storyline bit, but the skirmish/multiplayer battles always annoyed me as I found it difficult to track all my guys and production. Seemed like a lot of micro was necessary and it wasn't terribly convincing as a WWII game at that point other than the fact the units looked like WWII stuff. I tend to prefer the Men of War series I guess, including the Assault Squad 1 and 2 games.
Still, CoH all on Steam for a buck is an easy buy, just wondering if its worth a tenner to get the rest?

sandman2575

CoH2 is decent overall, but for me was a big letdown from the greatness that is the original CoH.

In truth there's not much difference between 2 and 1, with obvious exception of different theaters. Much of the changes in 2 are aesthetic and cosmetic, and in my view, are a step backward from 1. The games play very similarly -- very twitchy/clicky -- in essence, 'capture the flag' to cap sectors and advance over the map. It bears no resemblance to actual ww2 combat for the most part -- it's all cinematic "Saving Private Ryan" warfare -- which can be a lot of fun, in the case of CoH1. But for mostly intangible reasons, I find CoH2 dull and uninspired.

I still think CoH original holds up very well and is huge fun to play.

Shelldrake

Quote from: sandman2575 on October 05, 2016, 09:39:32 AM

I still think CoH original holds up very well and is huge fun to play.

+1
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

JasonPratt

I suppose I should add that while the CoH game engine is borrowed from Dawn of War 1, and plays superficially similarly, the experiences are pretty dang different. Liking one won't translate necessarily into liking the other, not even counting aesthetic/topical differences. I'm a mega-fan of DoW1; I only kind of like and respect CoH. It's very much the Cry of Duty / Medal of Honor of RTS games, with all that that entails good and... disputable.