The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamus34

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 07, 2017, 06:32:33 AM
XCOM2 is $12 USD if you sign up for the Humble Monthly bundle.  You'll get a bunch of random games on Feb 7th if you sign up.  I just did.  I suspect I'll have some keys to give away come Feb 8th.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

I believe this is the one that gets me to sign up too. Also don't discount the indie titles that are usually packed with... There's a lot of good or at least enjoyable games out there that didn't have a multi million dollar budget
Insert witty comment here.

KyzBP

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on January 07, 2017, 06:32:33 AM
XCOM2 is $12 USD if you sign up for the Humble Monthly bundle.  You'll get a bunch of random games on Feb 7th if you sign up.  I just did.  I suspect I'll have some keys to give away come Feb 8th.

https://www.humblebundle.com/monthly

I was just about to post this.  I'm in.  $12 for XCOM 2 was too good to pass up.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Pete Dero

Greetings,

We are pleased to announce that exclusively at Captain Sim online store, from 00:00 to 23:59 11 JAN 2017 (UTC) everything is $9.99. Visit us at: http://www.captainsim.com
24 hours only. At 23:59 11 JAN 2017 (UTC) all prices are back to regular.

Stay tuned, Captain Sim News

Tuna

Staggerwing

Is Elder Scrolls: Online any good? How does it compare to the SP games?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

I like TES:O, but it's a hell of a lot 'busier' than Skyrim. So much so that I have trouble with my immersion being broken all the time. (This is partly rectified by short missions in independent instances where other players can't get in; naturally these tend to be more plot oriented. But these instances often need a group of parties.)

Another problem is that enemies scale directly to your level wherever you are, which makes it harder to feel like you're really growing in capabilities. The developers had to do this when they opened up world travel for all players more broadly (the Tamriel One initiative), so overpowered players wouldn't feel too bored and lower level players wouldn't accidentally stumble into an area that would nuke them.

Still, the art assets are (somewhat?) up to par, and the gameplay while a little different should be familiar. It has important lore tie-ins if you care about that sort of thing -- it's basically a prequel to Skyrim and, if I understand correctly, Oblivion. It has a lot to fiddle around doing, and the sidequests (as far as I've gotten) develop local area narratives which in turn relate to the overarching story. The voice acting for even minor characters is pretty high quality and there's a ton of it. It could be a lot, lot worse.

Just be prepared to see people flitting around every damn where in gaudy outfits and unspeakable superpowers, running on top of their camels (an unfixed graphic bug), cuing up to talk to the secret agent you're supposed to be talking to and clearly for the same reason.

(I don't know why, maybe because things are spread out more or the population has generally moved more toward the 'front-line' of the plot, or maybe just because things aren't so flashy in-your-face there, but this sort of thing doesn't bother me as much in Lord of the Rings Online. Which by the way is free, with advancement modules often on sale for cheap.  O0 )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 11, 2017, 02:45:43 PM
I like TES:O, but it's a hell of a lot 'busier' than Skyrim. So much so that I have trouble with my immersion being broken all the time. (This is partly rectified by short missions in independent instances where other players can't get in; naturally these tend to be more plot oriented. But these instances often need a group of parties.)

Another problem is that enemies scale directly to your level wherever you are, which makes it harder to feel like you're really growing in capabilities. The developers had to do this when they opened up world travel for all players more broadly (the Tamriel One initiative), so overpowered players wouldn't feel too bored and lower level players wouldn't accidentally stumble into an area that would nuke them.

Still, the art assets are (somewhat?) up to par, and the gameplay while a little different should be familiar. It has important lore tie-ins if you care about that sort of thing -- it's basically a prequel to Skyrim and, if I understand correctly, Oblivion. It has a lot to fiddle around doing, and the sidequests (as far as I've gotten) develop local area narratives which in turn relate to the overarching story. The voice acting for even minor characters is pretty high quality and there's a ton of it. It could be a lot, lot worse.

Just be prepared to see people flitting around every damn where in gaudy outfits and unspeakable superpowers, running on top of their camels (an unfixed graphic bug), cuing up to talk to the secret agent you're supposed to be talking to and clearly for the same reason.

(I don't know why, maybe because things are spread out more or the population has generally moved more toward the 'front-line' of the plot, or maybe just because things aren't so flashy in-your-face there, but this sort of thing doesn't bother me as much in Lord of the Rings Online. Which by the way is free, with advancement modules often on sale for cheap.  O0 )

I've never tried ESO, but I have played LoTR (but YEARS ago)

Which of the two is more solo friendly, in your opinion?

JasonPratt

I'm relatively early in both games; not out of the Shire/West areas yet in LotR, somewhere in the Shivering Isle plotline for ESO. Both have been very solo friendly so far.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

acctingman

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 11, 2017, 07:49:25 PM
I'm relatively early in both games; not out of the Shire/West areas yet in LotR, somewhere in the Shivering Isle plotline for ESO. Both have been very solo friendly so far.

Thanks Jason

Since I know I have a LoTR account I'm going to see if I can't try and recover it....not sure how, but it's worth a shot!

Nefaro

Quote from: acctingman on January 11, 2017, 07:56:48 PM

Thanks Jason

Since I know I have a LoTR account I'm going to see if I can't try and recover it....not sure how, but it's worth a shot!

Just read an RPS article today that says Turbine's MMO games.... LOTRO and DDO... are going to be taken over by new "indie" companies ran by the developers of said games.  Says they plan to continue adding stuff to them.

Without a doubt, I leveled my characters in LOTRO further than any other MMO in existence.  But by the time they jumbled everything up, by switching to the free-to-play model, I had hit burnout from non-stop playing for so long.  Had spent some long & intense hours in LOTRO, including Closed Beta.

Which kinda sucks because I completely lost touch with a wonderful group of fun-loving guildies who were just as casual as I but we still managed to finish a lot of the gated group content.  Server mergers ensured I'd not likely find them again after ours was shut down and characters had to be moved by guesswork the next time I logged in a few years later.

Haven't played LOTRO in years, although I recently loaded it back up on my desktop after grabbing a couple expansions on sale awhile back.  Was always a good one to just sit back and engage my brain with relaxing hacking & looting of digital beings.  :)) 

After logging back in, I'm so lost.  Between all the confusing FreeToP stuff, and all the new area additions, the only thing I really know is that my old top-level characters are probably nowhere near top-level anymore.  ;D

acctingman

Quote from: Nefaro on January 11, 2017, 09:27:55 PM
Quote from: acctingman on January 11, 2017, 07:56:48 PM

Thanks Jason

Just read an RPS article today that says Turbine's MMO games.... LOTRO and DDO... are going to be taken over by new "indie" companies ran by the developers of said games.  Says they plan to continue adding stuff to them.

Without a doubt, I leveled my characters in LOTRO further than any other MMO in existence.  But by the time they jumbled everything up, by switching to the free-to-play model, I had hit burnout from non-stop playing for so long.  Had spent some long & intense hours in LOTRO, including Closed Beta.

Which kinda sucks because I completely lost touch with a wonderful group of fun-loving guildies who were just as casual as I but we still managed to finish a lot of the gated group content.  Server mergers ensured I'd not likely find them again after ours was shut down and characters had to be moved by guesswork the next time I logged in a few years later.

Haven't played LOTRO in years, although I recently loaded it back up on my desktop after grabbing a couple expansions on sale awhile back.  Was always a good one to just sit back and engage my brain with relaxing hacking & looting of digital beings.  :)) 

After logging back in, I'm so lost.  Between all the confusing FreeToP stuff, and all the new area additions, the only thing I really know is that my old top-level characters are probably nowhere near top-level anymore.  ;D

I know how you feel Nefaro

I had the same exact experience with EQ and WoW. I played with the same group of people for 10+ years. Haven't played wow in a while and all my friends got married and had babies, so no more gaming for them!

As much as I played the HELL out of wow, nothing beats the lore of LoTR and I want to get back into VERY casual MMO'ing and can't think of a better game to do it in!

Tuna

"Got married and had babies" that's when you really start your gaming career!  :crazy2:

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

BanzaiCat

Quote from: steve58 on January 12, 2017, 01:38:43 PM
Oh look, a sale!  :bd: Winter Sale has started at Humble Bundle Store...

I think Humble Bundle was offering the Pathfinder RPG books for ridiculous prices here recently, also.