The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Quote from: Banzai_Cat on February 28, 2017, 12:22:51 PM
My hesitation is, the Stalingrad Campaign was hard. I didn't get that far into it because it seemed to me there was a certain programmed solution to winning each of the battles, and figuring that out like a puzzle is something I despise. I could be wrong about it, but it sure felt scripted.

Not only that, it's scripted in a way that random factors at the start of a mission can absolutely ruin any chances for you to pull a good win (or any win at all)!

Well, it isn't really "scripted", but there's an expectation that you'll find and exploit the weak points to get the time limit goals and that's the only way to get those goals (within a small variation from exploiting those weak points).
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Unity of Command did feel like a puzzle game to me too, I remember that clearly.

I wonder if the expansions feel the same.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The expansions are more of the same (just on either side of the Stalingrad struggle, before and after -- essentially the series now covers Barbarossa to Berlin on the Russian South Front). From what little I've played of the expansions, the experiment confirms the theory for me: yes, they're still puzzleish.

VERY FUN puzzleish, for people who like this kind of puzzle. But puzzleish. Just remember to turn off the random weather because that's the one thing which can absolutely kill any hope of success from the beginning.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

BanzaiCat

Thinking maybe of buying Wing Commander I & II, for 5.99 on GOG.

JasonPratt

7 Days to Die on sale for $10 at Steam. One of the best survival games on the market (even in a technically alpha state), and also one of the best Minecraft successors. Highly evocative in single-player, or with a few friends if they've got the right attitude. The 2-pack is also on sale for only $6 more! There are still wonky server bugs (falling through the map, map holes glitching into place) last I checked, and the graphics while imaginative for their voxel roots are, after all, only voxels. Also I'm not sure even the campaign has an end goal, much less random genning your own map -- I like to joke that it's a nihilism simulator, testing how far you can endure the game stomping your efforts at hope until you just quit and move on. There are arguably better games out there about zombies; and certainly better survival games. But as a random-map-gen survival zombie (-or-equivalent) game, this seems to be the best currently available.

bbmike

^ +1, 7 Days to Dies is great, great fun!  O0
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Philippe

If it hasn't already been reported, I think Age of Decadence is on sale on Steam for a day or so for less than eight bucks.  A steal if you've never played it.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Greybriar

GamersGate is offering 91% off on Praetorians bringing the cost down to $0.45 U.S.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Tpek

GOG is now having it's Spring Sale.

bbmike

Mass Effect Andromeda is 20% off at Amazon right now if you are a Prime member. Which I am. So I bought.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Greybriar

Green Man Gaming is offering a 91% discount on World War One: Centennial Edition bringing the price down to $1.79 U.S.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mirth

Quote from: bbmike on March 08, 2017, 06:12:20 PM
Mass Effect Andromeda is 20% off at Amazon right now if you are a Prime member. Which I am. So I bought.

I got the Deluxe Edition. My Prime membership knocked that down to 55.96 from 69.96.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

Looks like Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 are on sale at Origin.
Insert witty comment here.

Martok

Steam currently has Distant Worlds: Universe on sale for just $19.79 (USD).  :o  At that price, it's an absolute steal. 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces