The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: WallysWorld on December 09, 2021, 08:53:52 PM
FYI that the game Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is free until the 14th to download and keep on Steam: Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Thanks for the heads up...grabbed it for free this morning.

CJReich46

GOG- Winter Sale has begun!

Star Trek: Armada I and II have landed.

Also giveaway Blades of the Shogun!

https://www.gog.com/

^-^
" He either fears his fate too much
Or his deserts are small,
Who dares not put it to the touch
To win or lose it all."  - James Graham 1st Marquis of Montrose

al_infierno

CoJ: Gunslinger is an awesome little Western shooter, quite a rarity on PC these days.  Well worth the time.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

demjansk1942

Steam should have one soon, correct?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: demjansk1942 on December 14, 2021, 04:00:44 AM
Steam should have one soon, correct?

Expected to be December 22 thru January 5th

demjansk1942

Thanks Grim for the reply and answer.  Not sure if I will be getting anything, but I like to look.

steve58

Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

demjansk1942

Thanks Steve, wow didn't even see this on Epic, good find, did you see 2042 free weekend and reduced price, still not getting

FlickJax

Quote from: steve58 on December 17, 2021, 08:01:45 PM
Epic has OOTP 22 for $4.99.

Bought this a long time ago, not had one in a while... Is it like football manager (Soccer) that gets needlessly more complex every year... I find it takes away the relaxing fun element?

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FlickJax on December 20, 2021, 03:36:38 AM
Quote from: steve58 on December 17, 2021, 08:01:45 PM
Epic has OOTP 22 for $4.99.

Bought this a long time ago, not had one in a while... Is it like football manager (Soccer) that gets needlessly more complex every year... I find it takes away the relaxing fun element?

It has options and QuickStarts to setup things to your liking.  But to be honest, I have purchased just about every version although I have t really played it much since version 6 or so.  Even with the ability to customize, I still find it a little big to play and version 6 was before it started to really expand, just seemed simpler.  With that said, it certainly is the king of management baseball and worth a few dollars especially.

ArizonaTank

One of the features of OOTP I enjoy is what is called Perfect Team. It is like fantasy baseball, except there is a list of current and historical players to choose from. Perfect Team is easy to play and enjoy without the more in-depth commitment from the main part of OOTP.

In Perfect Team, you are given a random team that is automatically put in a league where it plays a full season. Games are run every 20 min or so. You manage the rosters, and can tweak strategy (base stealing? bunting?). You also accumulate points as the season progresses, and there are extra large point hauls for special events like no-hitters for example.

The points you can use to buy and sell players on a market.  Need a better Short Stop and can't afford the one you want? Sell some guys on reserve to get the points first. You can also buy "packs" of baseball cards...they are random...contain many mediocre players...but also have a few hidden gems. Every now and then, the game even "gifts" you some packs. 

At the end of the season, teams on top of their leagues are promoted to the next highest league, or demoted if they have not played well. 

Perfect Team can be played quickly. I usually play in the morning before work. It takes me about 10 or 15 min to check how my batters and pitchers did in recent games. The game has a bunch of in-depth information available on each game played, but I usually just look at the key stats; Runs Batted In (RBI), Strike Outs (K)

Of course, you can also buy your way into the game, and I am certain that the players at the top have opened their wallets more than a few times. I bought some "points" early on, but have been happy just play with the point I "earn."

There is a nice historical feel to the Perfect Team part of OOTP and it is a good way to "get to know" historical players. My current team has Monte Irvin in Left Field batting .320, Rogers Hornsby at Second Base with 25 home runs for the season, with Zack Wheeler and Smoky Joe Wood as pillars of the pitching staff.

IMHO, Perfect Team alone is worth the price of admission.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

FlickJax

Quote from: ArizonaTank on December 20, 2021, 11:05:28 AM
One of the features of OOTP I enjoy is what is called Perfect Team. It is like fantasy baseball, except there is a list of current and historical players to choose from. Perfect Team is easy to play and enjoy without the more in-depth commitment from the main part of OOTP.

In Perfect Team, you are given a random team that is automatically put in a league where it plays a full season. Games are run every 20 min or so. You manage the rosters, and can tweak strategy (base stealing? bunting?). You also accumulate points as the season progresses, and there are extra large point hauls for special events like no-hitters for example.

The points you can use to buy and sell players on a market.  Need a better Short Stop and can't afford the one you want? Sell some guys on reserve to get the points first. You can also buy "packs" of baseball cards...they are random...contain many mediocre players...but also have a few hidden gems. Every now and then, the game even "gifts" you some packs. 

At the end of the season, teams on top of their leagues are promoted to the next highest league, or demoted if they have not played well. 

Perfect Team can be played quickly. I usually play in the morning before work. It takes me about 10 or 15 min to check how my batters and pitchers did in recent games. The game has a bunch of in-depth information available on each game played, but I usually just look at the key stats; Runs Batted In (RBI), Strike Outs (K)

Of course, you can also buy your way into the game, and I am certain that the players at the top have opened their wallets more than a few times. I bought some "points" early on, but have been happy just play with the point I "earn."

There is a nice historical feel to the Perfect Team part of OOTP and it is a good way to "get to know" historical players. My current team has Monte Irvin in Left Field batting .320, Rogers Hornsby at Second Base with 25 home runs for the season, with Zack Wheeler and Smoky Joe Wood as pillars of the pitching staff.

IMHO, Perfect Team alone is worth the price of admission.

Thanks Guys, I think you have convinced me... being a Brit I am no expert on baseball but always like it from afar :)

Pete Dero

Quote from: FlickJax on December 21, 2021, 04:35:18 AM
being a Brit I am no expert on baseball

It's like cricket, but simpler  >:D.

FlickJax

Quote from: Pete Dero on December 21, 2021, 05:04:29 AM
Quote from: FlickJax on December 21, 2021, 04:35:18 AM
being a Brit I am no expert on baseball

It's like cricket, but simpler  >:D.

LOL  Cricket is the easiest game in the world... only has 2 bases ;)

Dammit Carl!

Was utterly entranced by cricket the one time a hotel I stayed in had a dedicated TV channel for it; close enough to known sports by me to be a smidge familiar yet different all the same.