Meanwhile in Yemen

Started by LongBlade, January 21, 2015, 10:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W8taminute

Posting to keep track of this news item.  Thanks for sharing LB. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

LongBlade

Op/Ed on the disintegration of America's alliances.

QuoteOver six years in office, Barack Obama has gone along way to unraveling the alliances – both formal and informal – that have been the framework for American geopolitical leadership since the end of World War II. Watching the Gulf states, in particular, try to fend for themselves in the absence of American power – as the Saudis are trying to do in Yemen and Syria – is painful and looks as though it will make things worse rather than better. King Salman's decision to pass up Camp David may be less an insult than a recognition that it would be a waste of time.

more at the link: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/americas-collapsing-alliances_943617.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

BanzaiCat

"...gone along way..."?  ::)

Martok

QuoteOver six years in office, Barack Obama has gone along way to unraveling the alliances – both formal and informal – that have been the framework for American geopolitical leadership since the end of World War II. Watching the Gulf states, in particular, try to fend for themselves in the absence of American power – as the Saudis are trying to do in Yemen and Syria – is painful and looks as though it will make things worse rather than better. King Salman's decision to pass up Camp David may be less an insult than a recognition that it would be a waste of time.
Honestly, that was the first thought that went through my head when I first heard Salman wasn't attending.  Why would he bother to go? 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

LongBlade

Quote from: Martok on May 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM
Honestly, that was the first thought that went through my head when I first heard Salman wasn't attending.  Why would he bother to go?

It's a huge insult.

Some of the op/eds I'm reading suggest that it's in response to O's bungling of the Iran negotiations. If O can't get Iran right, there's probably no point in talking with him about anything else.

Nefaro

Quote from: Martok on May 12, 2015, 03:20:15 PM

I recall some Saudi paper mentioning the king's reason for skipping as being, (paraphrased): " why should the king travel to Camp David in order to hear the President's pretty voice talking up his own media?".   Blunt and to the point. 

I guess they've come to expect Maobama to be a bunch of hot air babbling for the cameras but being generally useless.  Obviously he's pissed off many of the gulf states with his lame Iran deal.

LongBlade

It's officially an insult:

QuoteKing Hamad bin Issa al-Khalifa of Bahrain won't attend President Obama's Gulf Arab summit in Washington this week and instead is expected at a London horse show, according to media reports.

source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/13/king-bahrain-snubs-obama-summit-horse-show-report/

Gusington

A horse show? Instead of the dog and pony show? Inconceivable.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Martok

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

bayonetbrant

it means he can't get pregnant
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

GDS_Starfury

but Mirth and I keep trying.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

LongBlade

In a major plot twist, Iran has announced that it will not allow inspections of its nuke program under any circumstances.

Golly, I did not see that coming.  ::)

QuoteIran's supreme leader vowed Wednesday he will not allow international inspection of Iran's military sites or access to Iranian scientists under any nuclear agreement with world powers.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei told military commanders Wednesday that Iran will resist "coercion and excessive demands" from America and other world powers

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/05/20/iran-supreme-leader-rejects-idea-foreign-access-to-military-sites-or-scientists/?intcmp=latestnews

GDS_Starfury

but... but... but it was obamas best foreign deal ever.
possibly the best treaty in all of history.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Gusington

I am shocked and appalled. No wait...just appalled.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

What the hell are these idiots thinking going after a Burke?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-navy-destroyer-again-targeted-missiles-yemen-u-175236613.html

They may regret the choice when we start launching Tomahawks in return.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus