Total War Saga: Thrones of Britannia

Started by Martok, November 14, 2017, 01:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Slash

Oh. Are 'Moms' a playable faction now? I know some that are already 'Mothers' enough. I got close to winning the game as the German Confederation but the Victory Conditions would've had me owning either all the money or all the land in the whole world to win and I got tired of grinding my way through and quit. After getting all teary of course.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

My Mom likes anyone that gets teary after getting their ass-kicked. She sees it as a positive character trait that proves you care. But 'cool' is only for the manly quiet type.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

Both are me! Thus your mom's infatuation.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

It doesn't matter. In four days, I'm playing the Armenians in the new R2TW campaign.  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Some of the most fun I've had playing TW was as the Armenians in the patched and modded R2TW. Great faction action.

I can't get myself to buy the new campaign DLC for 15.00 though...I will wait for a price drop.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Martok

An interview with Jack Lusted, the game director: 

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207434849

Not a ton of new info per se, as most of the questions (which came from the fans) were about the battles; and apparently the main changes in ToB are to the campaign, which he wasn't allowed to discuss just yet.  Apparently we will get more info on that sometime next week. 

The tidbits that stuck out for me: 

1.)  In what won't be a surprise to any of us here, the role of horse units will be minimal in ToB, since combat during this period was generally all about the shieldwall.  If you use cavalry for anything other than scouting, flanking, or chasing down routers, they're gonna get chewed up -- badly. 

2.)  There aren't specific maps for each major settlement, apparently so as to avoid repetition (i.e., you don't learn to invade/defend Winchester or York a certain way every time).  Instead, there are 16 battle maps for the major settlements -- Roman forts, older hilltop forts, Viking ports, etc.  [To be honest, this part seems counter-intuitive to me, or at least not very well explained.  Further elucidation is needed.] 

2a.)  The map types for battles for minor settlements was left out, as apparently the way minor settlements work is part of the changes being made to the campaign. 

3.)  With battles focusing on shieldwalls, faction unit rosters obviously won't be as varied as in other TW games.  However, there will still be some distinctions:  Vikings have more offensive-type troops (especially those armed with axes), the Welsh have the best cavalry (relatively speaking), Irish armies are more skirmisher-oriented, and the Saxon kingdoms are the "all-rounders" with the most balanced roster. 

4.)  No mention was made of the Picts or Scots as a playable faction.  It's suspected, however, that the omission is a purposeful tease of sorts. 

5.)  Berzerkers are definitely in the game (for better or worse!).  They won't be quite like how they are in Age of Charlemagne, but rather closer to their original MTW/VI roots, where they had high offensive & morale stats, but low defense. 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Gusington

Thanks Martok - would love to see a Picts faction!

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Total War games for me have always been about looking at my army like watching a movie. Because the tactical battles were always fairly limited in what exactly you could do to be involved. If they have less unit variety they should add more detailed and individual unit mechanics. Otherwise I will be watching two black blobs beat each other for half an hour. I don't know if I can be bothered watching the video. I am really not very excited until they improve the current engine or make a new one.
How can they get it so right in Total War Arena and so wrong in Total War.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

MetalDog

Do you guys find it imperative to play out the tactical battles in TW, or can you do just as well, or better, with auto-resolve?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Gusington

Depends on which TW game you're playing, but generally it is always better to play them out.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Destraex

Quote from: MetalDog on December 10, 2017, 12:12:35 AM
Do you guys find it imperative to play out the tactical battles in TW, or can you do just as well, or better, with auto-resolve?

I find the strategic game is just a fairly arbitrary layer to facilitate the tactical battles. The point for me is the tactical battles.
Auto-resolve unless you overwhemingly out class the enemy's troops is always a risk.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

undercovergeek

I played everyone in my last campaign but as the end game started nearing there were 6 to 7 a turn and whilst I can watch warhammer battles all day sometimes it was easier to give auto resolve a press - you get a fairly decent projection of the outcome before you do