Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Can't find anything on the Paradox forums (but I admit I avoid that place) but is there an ETA on the difficulty adjustments they were talking about?

mikeck

I have not seen any updates on the difficulty option.

On another note, does anyone have any tips or tricks on preventing your pilot from sustaining head injuries? I think every single mission at least one or two of my pilot sustains head injur on another note, does anyone have any tips or tricks on preventing your pilot from sustaining injury?  I'm not talking about injuries sustained after a big brawl where parts of the Mech or armor have been blown off. I'm talking about Bohemoth driving my Thunderbolt  and with the first shot, a light mech hits with a laser or something and the pilot gets injured. No way the head armor was compromised but regardless, it happens. Seems to happen a lot. Like a lot more than I score head hits.

Is it possible for a pilot to be injured even if the armor if it penetrated?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

You could try equipping the cockpit mod. I'm not sure if this helps with avoiding injuries, or just increasing the chance of survival in the event of destruction.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Geezer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2018, 04:11:03 PM
You could try equipping the cockpit mod. I'm not sure if this helps with avoiding injuries, or just increasing the chance of survival in the event of destruction.

The wiki says +1/2/3 injury resist so that sounds to me like you can take extra hits without dying, same as you get with the + health from guts.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

DennisS

Quote from: Geezer on May 29, 2018, 04:19:03 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on May 29, 2018, 04:11:03 PM

The wiki says +1/2/3 injury resist so that sounds to me like you can take extra hits without dying, same as you get with the + health from guts.

Behemoth just died..with a TEN in guts. Just kept getting hit in the head while down.

joram

That almost happened to me.   In one of those battles with two waves of Mechs.   Their first wave had a jagermech, a wolverine, and two of those PPC carrying Cicadas while the second wave had a laser Hunchback (which to me is scarier than the AC Hunchback) and a Trebuchet.   I was so beat up after the first wave and at one point, one of my heavies fell and they all were ganging up on it. 
Miraculously it survived albeit with one weapon and then I started getting lucky.   Withdrew behind a ridge and concentrated fire as they came across.   Couldn't stop them immediately so kept getting rained on by the Trebuchet but first I one punched a cicada in the head, managed to knock down the Hunchback and then call my shots to deal with him.    Then shot off an arm in the jagermech cutting it's effectiveness in half and then the Trebuchet ran out of missiles (thank god).    With a severely beat up lance and every pilot taking injuries (behemoth and medusa for nearly 3 months),  I was thankful that I got out alive.

DennisS

Quote from: joram on May 31, 2018, 06:56:05 AM
That almost happened to me.   In one of those battles with two waves of Mechs.   Their first wave had a jagermech, a wolverine, and two of those PPC carrying Cicadas while the second wave had a laser Hunchback (which to me is scarier than the AC Hunchback) and a Trebuchet.   I was so beat up after the first wave and at one point, one of my heavies fell and they all were ganging up on it. 
Miraculously it survived albeit with one weapon and then I started getting lucky.   Withdrew behind a ridge and concentrated fire as they came across.   Couldn't stop them immediately so kept getting rained on by the Trebuchet but first I one punched a cicada in the head, managed to knock down the Hunchback and then call my shots to deal with him.    Then shot off an arm in the jagermech cutting it's effectiveness in half and then the Trebuchet ran out of missiles (thank god).    With a severely beat up lance and every pilot taking injuries (behemoth and medusa for nearly 3 months),  I was thankful that I got out alive.

Lesson learned. I should have punched out. I got out in front, and had five enemy mechs firing at me. Two turns is all it took. At the  higher skull missions, one massive LRM boat can really ruin your day. You're going to take a head hit every round.

mikeck

Don't get me wrong, I don't take issue with my mech being repeatedly hit and finally sustaining a mortal pilot hit. It's when Bohemoth is trudging around in her Orion or Thunderbolt and gets one-shotted in the grill by a Jenner with an AC-5. I get the critical hit but armor should matter. I'm not going to score a critical hit on the driver of an M1-A2SEP with my WW2 37mm anti tank gun.

I guess I'd like to see a system where armor works more like Combat mission and less like sudden strike. Certain weapons can either penetrate the armor or the can't. I'm not a fan of each hit doing a little damage.

Other than that (and encountering 80 ton vehicles when my huge mechs way 60 tons????) I'm loving it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on May 31, 2018, 08:15:57 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't take issue with my mech being repeatedly hit and finally sustaining a mortal pilot hit. It's when Bohemoth is trudging around in her Orion or Thunderbolt and gets one-shotted in the grill by a Jenner with an AC-5. I get the critical hit but armor should matter. I'm not going to score a critical hit on the driver of an M1-A2SEP with my WW2 37mm anti tank gun.

I guess I'd like to see a system where armor works more like Combat mission and less like sudden strike. Certain weapons can either penetrate the armor or the can't. I'm not a fan of each hit doing a little damage.

Other than that (and encountering 80 ton vehicles when my huge mechs way 60 tons????) I'm loving it

The 80 tonners, with 600+ HP are not fun. Worse still are the SRM carriers, that shoot an enormous number of missiles at you.

mikeck

Quote from: DennisS on June 01, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

The 80 tonners, with 600+ HP are not fun. Worse still are the SRM carriers, that shoot an enormous number of missiles at you.

Killing them is easy....just step on them with a heavy mech and they die. I just think it's a bid odd that a vehicle the size of my mech's foot weighs 15 more tons than my mech and can carry more PPCs (3!) or more LRMs (2x20).

DennisS

Quote from: mikeck on June 01, 2018, 06:06:37 PM
Quote from: DennisS on June 01, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

Killing them is easy....just step on them with a heavy mech and they die. I just think it's a bid odd that a vehicle the size of my mech's foot weighs 15 more tons than my mech and can carry more PPCs (3!) or more LRMs (2x20).

My current crew of mechs are between 60 and 75 tons. Not exactly fleet of foot.

mikeck

You can still do it. I use an Orion, Highlander, Jager and a QuickDraw. The QD is heavy but has a lot of mobility. Throw on some heavy jump jets...like 4. You sprint to get close and the 5-6 chevrons keep you from getting hit. Then next turn stomp.
The trick is to sprint to close the distance.
One stomp=kill

Soooo much easier than using weapons

FlickJax

I am struggling with my heavies...  not sure what is the best line up with what i have got..  I have 2 * jager, 2 Dragons, 2 Thunderbolts and 2 Quickdraws so far.

Dragons I have already discounted.

Jarhead0331

The thunderbolt is a great mech. I used to run my lance with two of them. Lots of firepower, lots of armor and very capable in a fist fight. I replaced one with a heavier battle master and now use an Orion too for its longer range hitting power, but I'm still using one thunderbolt and have he other on reserve in bay 2.

The Jaeger is an attractive option, but it's too lightly armored for my preferred strategies. Still, when I see rapid fire AC rounds whizzing across the map from some unknown location, my heart skips a beat and it becomes a priority target.

I never warmed up to the dragon either. For its size, it's weaponry options are completely underwhelming. Some of the guys around here like them for its close combat and curb stomping capabilities, but for me, the lack of ability to cause any really serious destruction from range is a tremendous limiting factor.

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

FlickJax

Thanks J, I will try with 2 thunderbolts and drop one of my jagers.