Chinese Company Blocked from building Wind Farms

Started by TheCommandTent, September 28, 2012, 06:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

QuoteCiting national security risks, President Barack Obama on Friday blocked a Chinese company from owning four wind farm projects in northern Oregon near a Navy base where the U.S. military flies unmanned drones and electronic-warfare planes on training missions.

It was the first time in 22 years that a U.S. president has blocked such a foreign business deal.

Obama's decision was likely to be another irritant in the increasingly tense economic relationship between the U.S. and China. It also comes against an election-year backdrop of intense criticism from Republican presidential challenger Mitt Romney, who accuses Obama of not being tough enough with China.

In his decision, Obama ordered Ralls Corp., a company owned by Chinese nationals, to divest its interest in the wind farms it purchased earlier this year near the Naval Weapons Systems Training Facility in Boardman, Ore.

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-blocks-chinese-purchase-us-wind-farms-181230948.html

Thought this was an interesting story to share here.  I hope its a genuine interest in national security and not just an election year political move.  The most interesting to me is that this is the first time in 22 year a President has used this power.  (I didn't know he had this authority)
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.