Surgical EMP

Started by LongBlade, October 25, 2012, 01:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

Just ran across this article about a missile being developed that can target the electronics in a building.

QuoteThe CHAMP missile's microwaves proved so effective during the recent test that they knocked out some of the cameras used to record video footage of rows of computers blinking off. CHAMP went on to hit seven targets during the one-hour test.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/25/microwave-missile-targets-electronics-spares-people/

I'm curious about missile recovery. It's all well and good to use it, but I suspect we don't want to readily share that technology. What happens after the missile has made a pass? How are you going to keep it out of the wrong hands?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2012, 01:55:10 PM
Just ran across this article about a missile being developed that can target the electronics in a building.

QuoteThe CHAMP missile's microwaves proved so effective during the recent test that they knocked out some of the cameras used to record video footage of rows of computers blinking off. CHAMP went on to hit seven targets during the one-hour test.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2012/10/25/microwave-missile-targets-electronics-spares-people/

I'm curious about missile recovery. It's all well and good to use it, but I suspect we don't want to readily share that technology. What happens after the missile has made a pass? How are you going to keep it out of the wrong hands?

Interesting concept but I think you pose an important question.  Unless you can have it self destruct internally you would have to send in a team to retrieve it every time.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I'm sure the problem isn't insurmountable, but the whole concept is predicated on not inflicting collateral damage. I'm curious to see how they resolve that.

besilarius

If you want to kill people but spare buildings, or tanks, or airplanes, resurrect the neutron bomb.
Was pretty messy, and took time for all the victims to die, but the collateral damage was nil.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

Quote from: besilarius on October 25, 2012, 07:57:41 PM
If you want to kill people but spare buildings, or tanks, or airplanes, resurrect the neutron bomb.
Was pretty messy, and took time for all the victims to die, but the collateral damage was nil.

That was my understanding.

But this one is supposed to be for killing electronics and leaving the people. Presumably aimed at someone like us who, without the internet or electronic games, would be reduced to gibbering idiots - at least until we dusted off our cardboard counters and dice.

besilarius

Your response is extremely grounded and judicious.
Obviously we are intended to return to our cardboard roots.
Didn't Jimmy Carter have a research program to produce a ersatz cardboard from carrots?
BACK to the future.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

LongBlade

I can't  remember anything about cardboard from carrots, but I do have a solar company I can sell you on the cheap.

eyebiter

You ever hear of the neutron bomb? Destroys people - leaves buildings standing. Fits in a suitcase. It's so small, no one knows it's there until - BLAMMO. Eyes melt, skin explodes, everybody dead. So immoral, working on the thing can drive you mad. That's what happened to this friend of mine. So he had a lobotomy. Now he's well again.

Staggerwing

^Repo Man- great flick! IIRC Mike Nesmith had some involvement with it.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: LongBlade on October 25, 2012, 08:33:50 PM
Quote from: besilarius on October 25, 2012, 07:57:41 PM

That was my understanding.

But this one is supposed to be for killing electronics and leaving the people. Presumably aimed at someone like us who, without the internet or electronic games, would be reduced to gibbering idiots - at least until we dusted off our cardboard counters and dice.

Tell me about it. I had to make do with only books for a while until i surrendered to my PC habit. Killing cable tv years ago was great. Commercials drive me mad now. I fing detest being force fed commercials to watch a show. Blackmail! I'd put my foot through a tv first. My 1080P tv makes a fine gaming monitor. You dont know PC gaming until you do it with a big fing HDTV at full 1920x1080 through a HDMI adaptor on the video card. Think Homer slobber time.

Its also good for doing architecture drawings and autoCAD. But that is work...

The real winner is Netflix on the big screen without having to keep buying DVDs and Bluerays. Awesome. Yeah thats right fing perfect full screen movies or tv shows with no commercials through the PC to a big ass screen in your face. You know you want that big ass. ;D [size=78%] [/size]

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Mr. Bigglesworth

Yes im OT again. Did you know that the square DVI connector on the video card, when hooked up to HDMI, also transmits digital sound info? My HDTV speakers transmit sound from windows, movies, etc. The TV speakers always work alongside the 7.1 motherboard jacks.

Staggerwing

^Huh? I've always had to use a separate audio connection when going from DVI to HDMI. Is it a feature of certain Vid cards only?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Mr. Bigglesworth

It probably depends on the age of the card. Im using a nvidia GTS450 series. I was surprised as well when I plugged in the DVI to find the speakers working.

Mr. Bigglesworth

This is the adapter
http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/products/home-theater/RF-G1174.html

Then a regular HDMI cable to the HDTV.