The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 04, 2016, 07:12:51 PM
Re: Steam Paradox sale --  how does Knights of Honor hold up these days?

If I didn't have my original boxed I would jump on this especially for 2.49. I always thought the campaign side of the game were just as good if not better then anything with the name "Total War" in it. That being said the battles are merely average and the game is locked at 1024x768. I did see however on the Steam KOH forums someone posted a link to a mod that allowed you to play at 1080 as well as added some new buildings/units{if you so choose}. http://www.moddb.com/mods/knights-of-honor-ultimate-mod/downloads/ultimate-edition-23-final-enfrger

KOH needed a sequel a long time ago..

Gusington

Still excellent. It has aged well.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575

Many thanks for the feedback and for the link. Picked KoH up and was able to install the HD patch so that I can play in 1080p. Very nice.

Gusington

You'll have 100s of hours of gameplay there.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

AchillesLastStand

Quote from: sandman2575 on September 05, 2016, 02:52:52 PM
Many thanks for the feedback and for the link. Picked KoH up and was able to install the HD patch so that I can play in 1080p. Very nice.

Let me ask you this, how did you install the patch? I downloaded it and when I double click it, it tells me windows cant open this file. Ive tried with WinRAR and WinZip with no luck. Any ideas?

BanzaiCat

Just tried Mad Max twice and it crashed both times during the first cutscene at the exact same place. You have that problem, Gus?

Gusington

No never, it always ran rock solid for me. What kind of video card do you have?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

BanzaiCat

Not a very good one. All it says is "Integrated Intel HD Graphics" card. I remember reading reviews of this desktop earlier this summer which said its graphics card is its weak spot. But, I've not had any trouble running anything else, so far anyway.

Upgrading it would be difficult because the PSU is only 300 watts and I think most 'modern' graphics cards require at least 350. I could be wrong; I don't know enough about graphics cards, only enough to be dangerous. Plus it's not something I even want to mess with right now, but maybe by next year.

It does a couple of weird things that don't seem right before it crashes:

- During the intro sequence with the war and the little girl/wife in the pool, which changes to a picture, the picture is floating in mid air with MM driving in empty air. It's as if the car just isn't being rendered. After a few seconds the car appears and it speeds off before we get to the bad guys.
- One of the bad guys' helmets appears racing in empty air for a brief second or two.

I'm guessing that the game begins right where the game crashes. Could be the card just can't handle it. It was ten bucks on Bundle Stars so I can't get too mad, but ten bucks is a lot of money to me. At least I didn't shell out sixty and have this happen.

sandman2575

Quote from: AchillesLastStand on September 05, 2016, 05:39:37 PM
Let me ask you this, how did you install the patch? I downloaded it and when I double click it, it tells me windows cant open this file. Ive tried with WinRAR and WinZip with no luck. Any ideas?

At the risk of posing a dumb question -- I assume you completely unpacked the .zip archive, and then are attempting to launch the .exe in its unpackaged state?

I didn't do anything special -- just downloaded the mod from moddb (link you provided), unpacked (using 7-Zip) and ran the .exe. The install process seemed a little strange -- it launched a series of installations (for the 1.05(?) patch, the mod, and the HD resolution patch), and I just clicked 'install' one after the other and let them run their course.   When I finished, I didn't have much confidence that it installed correctly but turns out it seems to be running fine.

I'm running Win 7 x64, for what it's worth --

sandman2575

@BanzaiCat -- I'd be pretty surprised if you could run a heavy graphics-intensive game like Mad Max with an integrated Intel graphics card, even on lowest settings / lowest resolution.

I have a portable laptop with an i7 intel processor and no dedicated graphics card, and I only ever try to run the must graphically 'unintensive' games I have -- it can handle things like Polaris Sector or Darkest Dungeon without problem, but no way could it run Mad Max or the equivalent.

CptHowdy

just picked up borderlands 2 goty edition for 10 bucks on steam  :o

Gusington

BC it definitely sounds like your card and rig are not up to the task...sorry man. But once you upgrade, whenever that is, you have one great game waiting.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

-budd-

BC- I used an integrated card for years. Most of the time my issue was my opengl version, which sometimes there is an update you istall for opengl. I would always go to the website canirunit and use that to judge whether I had a shot of running it or not, it's just a guide as I ran games it said I couldn't , also and I don't know if it's possible in Mad Max but I had to disable cutscenes in some games to get past that point. My card was also an Intel integrated card with I think with 256 dedicated memory and 1.7 gigsof shared memory, it helps to put as much system memory in your laptop that it can take so it will draw up to its max of shared memory.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Gusington

Lords of the Fallen complete on Bundle Stars for 8.99...anyone play this? It's got a 73 meta score on Metacritic which isn't bad and it looks pretty awesome from the videos. I am quite tempted at 8.99. Anyone?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on September 07, 2016, 05:46:39 PM
Lords of the Fallen complete on Bundle Stars for 8.99...anyone play this? It's got a 73 meta score on Metacritic which isn't bad and it looks pretty awesome from the videos. I am quite tempted at 8.99. Anyone?

Enough with your questions, just buy it.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus