Baltimore Bridge Collapse

Started by GDS_Starfury, March 26, 2024, 05:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

steve58

Horrible.  Some reports are saying the ship may have lost power.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Uberhaus

Hopefully they will be able to quickly recover more bridge workers from the water.
The port will be blocked until the collapsed spans are cleared.
  https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-68663071?src_origin=BBCS_BBC
QuoteHow will the bridge collapse impact shipping?

Katy Austin

Transport Correspondent

Container shipping expert Lars Jansen describes what's happened as a "major disaster" which will "create significant problems on the US East Coast for US importers and exporters".

On top of some 21,000 units of cargo having to go through other ports in the region, he says "multiple merchant vessels are now trapped in the port of Baltimore". None are container ships but there are some bulk carriers.

Jansen says he cannot remember hearing of an event like this before.

He says it will be a big issue for shipping in the region, leading to some delays and added costs. However from a global perspective, it will not have a significant impact.

Uberhaus

Quote from: steve58 on March 26, 2024, 08:14:58 AMHorrible.  Some reports are saying the ship may have lost power.
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-68663071?src_origin=BBCS_BBC
QuotePosted at 8:438:43
Dali 'lost propulsion' before hitting bridge
An unclassified memo from the government agency CISA - the Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency - has confirmed that the Singapore-flagged vessel Dali "lost propulsion" and collided with "a supporting tower of the bridge".

GDS_Starfury

who knew there were so many bridge and marine propulsion experts online today...   :buck2:

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I saw it on Telegram last night and honestly thought it might be a fake post with ArmA graphics at first.

Tripoli

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/watch-huge-bridge-baltimore-collapses-after-container-ship-strike

Supply chain snarls from the bridge collapse.  I actually don't think it will be that bad after a couple of days.  A lot of the cargo can be re-routed to other east coast ports.

As far as ship engines going out.  Loss of steerage or engines in not uncommon in ships.  That is why USN ships have the special sea and anchor detail when engaged in sailing in periods of limited maneuverability (UNREP, coming into/out of port, etc).  We had both emergency steering and an anchor chain detail in case we lost steerage or engines during these periods.  I assume merchants have something similar, but even that may not help if the loss occurs at the exact wrong moment.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

steve58

Another view of the collision and collapse.

https://twitter.com/Brick_Suit/status/1772550706584596751
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

ArizonaTank

Quote from: Tripoli on March 26, 2024, 01:55:34 PMhttps://www.zerohedge.com/markets/watch-huge-bridge-baltimore-collapses-after-container-ship-strike

Supply chain snarls from the bridge collapse.  I actually don't think it will be that bad after a couple of days.  A lot of the cargo can be re-routed to other east coast ports.

As far as ship engines going out.  Loss of steerage or engines in not uncommon in ships.  That is why USN ships have the special sea and anchor detail when engaged in sailing in periods of limited maneuverability (UNREP, coming into/out of port, etc).  We had both emergency steering and an anchor chain detail in case we lost steerage or engines during these periods.  I assume merchants have something similar, but even that may not help if the loss occurs at the exact wrong moment.

No idea if this is right, but the guy in the video below, says there is evidence that the anchor was dropped before impact, but that the ship "dragged" it.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Gusington

Some of those trucks on the bridge had like 5-10 seconds before the may day call and then impact  :shocked:

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Here is a comparison of the GPS track compared to the video.  Interesting.  Looks like the DALI lost power at pretty much the worst possible time.  My read of this is that the crew didn't have time to take adequate action to stop the collision.

Redwolf

Aren't the bottoms of such bridge pillars/posts normally made of concrete?

I don't think I have seen another bridge where the metal structure goes down into the water.

GDS_Starfury

pretty sure its concrete, the main problem with the bridge was that it didnt have bumpers.

Gusington

How many crew are on a ship like that now?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Tripoli

Quote from: Gusington on March 26, 2024, 08:49:22 PMHow many crew are on a ship like that now?
I recall hearing that there were 22 onboard the M/V DALI.  Regarding the piers: Apparently, the FS Key bridge was completed in 1977, before these large containerships were in use, so it didn't have the bumpers that are now state of the art.  The question as to why they weren't retrofitted will be fascinating, I'm sure.
Regarding the dropping of the metal structure: some commentators say that the pier that was hit was one of the major structural support piers.  I'm not a bridge expert, but it seems that having a major structural support near the shipping channel is one of those things you would try to avoid, if possible.  From a design standpoint, it may not have been possible in this case.  For a bit of historical analogy, in 2002, the I-40 bridge in Oklahoma was dropped by a barge hitting it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I-40_bridge_disaster