Star Trek series coming in 2017

Started by steve58, November 02, 2015, 11:29:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

I'm trying to imagine any point to that, and failing.

(...I mean any point aside from a desperate cash grab.)

Meanwhile, hey, what about that new Season 2 trailer which looks like Star Trek (tm) is now trying to be more like the Orville, a fun affectionate parody of Star Trek which, being affectionate, ended up being a lot more like Star Trek than the current official Star Trek?

Insert the 'inception' bwahm here...
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Star Trek, still dead since June 2, 1999.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Staggerwing

I've heard that the Picard series will not be Starfleet-centric.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

JasonPratt

Quote from: Staggerwing on August 05, 2018, 02:23:01 PM

...I understand what those words mean separately, but when they're put together like that I can't make sense of them. So it's Picard in retirement on the grape farm, and then he gets into adventures solving mysteries and family problems?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 06, 2018, 07:50:09 AM

...I understand what those words mean separately, but when they're put together like that I can't make sense of them. So it's Picard in retirement on the grape farm, and then he gets into adventures solving mysteries and family problems?

I heard he's going to be living in a Fla retirement community with four women.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

OJsDad

Quote from: mirth on August 06, 2018, 08:15:13 AM

Is one Betty White.
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on August 06, 2018, 10:30:54 AM
Quote from: mirth on August 06, 2018, 08:15:13 AM

Is one Betty White.

yes
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

bbmike

And is the landlord a Horta named Mr. Roper?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

Sir Slash

"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

JasonPratt

...oh. It's apparently going to be much worse than I (couldn't have) imagined.

Insider gossip the past couple of days suggests that STD will flip over decisively to the Kelvin timeline (i.e. the reboot movies, now also known as the Bad Robot Trekverse), and that the Picard series will be set there, too. Presumably this is meant to solve continuity difficulties by playing in a milieu with some fan appeal already but which has much more flexibility about what can happen. So in Picard's new series, Vulcan and Romulus have both been destroyed, for example.

mirth

The Kelvin timeline has fan appeal?

mirth

It's hard to decide which franchise is the bigger trainwreck at this point - Star Trek or Star Wars?

JasonPratt

Quote from: mirth on August 08, 2018, 03:15:08 PM
The Kelvin timeline has fan appeal?

lol'd!

Well, y'know, relatively. The films make money.