CONSOLIDATED - Police-related violence / shooting threads

Started by mirth, July 08, 2016, 04:24:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boggit

The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

Nefaro

Meanwhile... the Castile shooting, which was the most questionable IMO, is starting to have more light shed on the incident. 

That pic of what absolutely looks to be a gun, sitting on his lap, brings up questions.  Certainly looks like an automatic, despite only the top of it showing. Who the hell keeps their pistol sitting in their lap while riding in a car?!  Especially when the cops pull you over!?

That and the "tail light" inconsistency makes the g/f's story more questionable.  ???

Investigation Into MN Officer-Involved Shooting Uncovers Explosive Evidence
July 9, 2016 by Jenn Jacques

http://bearingarms.com/jenn-j/2016/07/09/mn-officer-involved-shooting-investigation-uncovers-explosive-evidence/

Swatter

After every police involved shooting there is a rush to judgement in the news media and especially social media (which the news media covers as if reaction on social media was real news). Right after the Castile shooting I read two articles about it on the ABC News web app. The first story contained, almost in its entirety, the view of events from highly biased sources from only one side. The second story was coverage of the families press conference and reported the families opinions as if they were facts. Immediately I said to myself "the media is going to get people killed".

Gone as the days of reporting just the facts. The shooting fit within a popular news media narrative that tells itself, no need for effort on the part of the media. No need for balance, no need to consider if they are actually serving the public's interest by reporting only one side of an inflammatory story.

They just can't help themselves. The victim ideology fits within their personal political narratives. The protest movement that responds strongly to these shooting also closely aligns with the own personal beliefs. Its an unstoppable train of poor journalism that has real and deadly consequences. Not to mention that the media has no idea how to properly report any story having to do with race.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Gusington on July 10, 2016, 10:58:37 AM
Andrew I don't know what you can do, if anything, but I agree with Swatter...it sounds like your brother in law personifies everything that is wrong on the police side. That is exactly who we don't want as an armed peace officer. A professional cop keeps his cool no matter what...no matter what. Much easier to type that than to do it. Hell in my day to day life it is a constant struggle not to lose my mind with the family, on the road, etc.

Sadly, all of his above traits are very clear to anyone that knows him for five minutes, so I'd find it pretty had to imagine that his issues haven't been apparent to his admission to the Academy.  These issues have had him be rejected from every branch of the armed forces thus far.

His father is a bit of an institution in the department, so he's not going to have any issues being admitted to the thin blue line club if he wants it.  He's not a terrible person, I just don't think everyone is temperamentally cut out to serve on the force.  I mean, I am absolutely not.  I have a temper and a very low tolerance for lying and BS that I would have a VERY hard time controlling as a police officer.   Heck, it almost gets me in trouble as a teacher sometimes. 

I do fear there has been a lowering of standards and training that's the main undercurrent behind what's going on.  Sadly, the concept of the thin blue line is making a situation where the majority of good cops are in a lot of ways fostering and protecting the bad cops.  I'm close enough to people on the force to know this is pretty much just "the way it is" in a lot of departments.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Gusington

To all of the above..."why let the facts get in the way of a good story?"

Not to defend the media but this morning on CNN's Brian Stelter show he did almost an hour on how social media is making things worse, exactly as Swatter posts above.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

The video of the shooting in Louisiana seems way more definitive (and damning) than the Minnesota video, which is emotional but only gives her side of the narrative. I would like to know if the officer involved was wearing a video cam. I certainly hope so, seems that would clear things up quickly. In this day and age, especially where cops wearing cams vindicates them more often than not, a vest cam is becoming a vital piece of equipment.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Stefan Molyneux has a good breakdown of what's known so far and condemns the rush to judgement.

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Steelgrave on July 10, 2016, 05:26:58 PM
The video of the shooting in Louisiana seems way more definitive (and damning) than the Minnesota video, which is emotional but only gives her side of the narrative. I would like to know if the officer involved was wearing a video cam. I certainly hope so, seems that would clear things up quickly. In this day and age, especially where cops wearing cams vindicates them more often than not, a vest cam is becoming a vital piece of equipment.

Apparently the officers in Baton Rouge were wearing body cams, but I haven't heard any info come out about what they do or don't show. 

Unfortunately from the two videos that have been shown, I don't think there's any definitive view of what the right hand was doing, and that's the one that really matters. He most certainly wasn't moving his left hand.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

JasonPratt

The BLM people are calling for a lot more than that; the movement itself was inspired by a domestic cop-killing terrorist, and they regularly chant about killing cops when marching.

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Nefaro

Quote from: Swatter on July 10, 2016, 03:22:36 PM
After every police involved shooting there is a rush to judgement in the news media and especially social media (which the news media covers as if reaction on social media was real news). Right after the Castile shooting I read two articles about it on the ABC News web app. The first story contained, almost in its entirety, the view of events from highly biased sources from only one side. The second story was coverage of the families press conference and reported the families opinions as if they were facts. Immediately I said to myself "the media is going to get people killed".

Gone as the days of reporting just the facts. The shooting fit within a popular news media narrative that tells itself, no need for effort on the part of the media. No need for balance, no need to consider if they are actually serving the public's interest by reporting only one side of an inflammatory story.

They just can't help themselves. The victim ideology fits within their personal political narratives. The protest movement that responds strongly to these shooting also closely aligns with the own personal beliefs. Its an unstoppable train of poor journalism that has real and deadly consequences. Not to mention that the media has no idea how to properly report any story having to do with race.

Absolutely.

The situation isn't improving, either. 

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

jomni

Let statistics speak. I'll leave it to you guys to draw conclusions

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/national/police-shootings-2016/

JasonPratt

A BLM "march" shut down the key I40 bridge over the Mississippi River at Memphis last night. The media is reporting it as a "peaceful" protest, but it dang well wasn't: they forced national traffic to stop completely, in total disregard of the rights of travel, endangering (though inadvertently) a child being transported to Memphis for a heart transplant among other things. The police had to bring gas, water, and food to motorists trapped in Arkansas with no way to continue east. (The protestors originally intended to shut down the outbound lane going west, but were blocked by police; but stymied police efforts to keep them off the bridge by swarming onto the offramp of traffic incoming from Arkansas instead.)

The mayor made sure the police protected their 'right' to shut down everyone else's rights to free travel, instead of forcing them off the bridge as a mob of criminals, which the protestors were pretty clearly trying to trigger. There are reports of the usual rhetoric of violence against police being chanted.

Mom, who's a total newshound, was surprised when I asked her this morning what she had heard about it: as of right this moment, 10:33am, she had heard nothing from Memphis news channels this morning, and not from their websites either.

FOX13 news was there -- a CBS affiliate in Richmond, VA (two whole states away) has an hour of c, b, and a footage gathered by the local Fox affiliate.

The (black) police chief helped keep the peace (in the sense of no violence between protestors and cops) by linking hands with the protestors and praying with them. He did work at trying to get them off the bridge. To put it bluntly, the crowd left around midnight to party on Beale Street. Memphis authorities assured people the situation was under control but suggested everyone stay away from downtown because things were so very under control there no reason, just because.  ::)

airboy

In Georgia a druggie called 911 on Saturday and shot the responding policeman.  Read that one in the paper yesterday.  There were 4 (maybe 3) incidents of intentional shooting of cops over the weekend after the Dallas shooting.