Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

I didn't get the sense it was a tablet game.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on April 10, 2017, 06:21:56 PM
Isn't this like a 'tablet' game? Or is it totally different from Atlantic Fleet?

The game engine started as that, a couple games back (Pacific Fleet) IIRC.  Then Atlantic Fleet was similarly another iPad game, or some such, but they added more content, and upgraded the graphics, for the PC version of AF.

From what I gather, this one is made for PC from the start.  Although it obviously still uses the same evolved game engine as a basis.

Toonces

^ Ah, I didn't realize that.  Here's hoping.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Ubercat

Every time I see this thread I think of this song.

"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Sir Slash

I'm in. I haven't had a proper ass-kicking by the Soviet Navy since Red Storm Rising did it so well back in the Commodore Amiga days.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

trek

In a thread on the discussion (forum) page the Killerfish Dev answered a release date query and said Mid-May.

Wburn

I just hope it has a save feature!

Tuna

Quote from: Nefaro on April 10, 2017, 07:58:54 PM
Isn't this like a 'tablet' game? Or is it totally different from Atlantic Fleet?

The game engine started as that, a couple games back (Pacific Fleet) IIRC.  Then Atlantic Fleet was similarly another iPad game, or some such, but they added more content, and upgraded the graphics, for the PC version of AF.

From what I gather, this one is made for PC from the start.  Although it obviously still uses the same evolved game engine as a basis.

Do you recommend the PC version of Atlantic Fleet?

Barthheart

Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2017, 10:45:52 AM

Yeah it's fun. I have it on both my PC and my iPad. The graphics are better on the PC but I don't think there's any additional content.

Tuna

Yeah, but play to me is clunky on tablet. Might have to look into it.

Barthheart

Clunky how?

It's the same control system on the PC.....

Tuna

Maybe I just prefer a mouse!

DennisS

I LOVED RSR. I also loved interpreting the waterfall. Dr. Ron Jones couldn't do it better. Red Storm Rising is also the book I have read, in my life, more than any other. I would conservatively estimate a dozen times. This is an instant game woody for me. Voted, and waiting until "mid 2017."

Nefaro

Quote from: Tuna on April 11, 2017, 10:45:52 AM

Yes.

Despite my submarine battle setup complaint (submarines already in position to fire and quickly escape at start of the battle), it's an enjoyable single-player game.  Even has a dynamic campaign layer you can play through the whole war.

Just make sure you run through the tutorials in order to understand how gun aiming and all the other stuff works.  It's not difficult, but you need to learn how to do it.  I thought the fire adjustment was on the easy side, after learning how it worked.

DennisS

Quote from: Nefaro on September 29, 2016, 11:07:54 AM
Quote from: Capn Darwin on September 29, 2016, 08:31:28 AM
RSR was awesome. Loved all those Microprose games from back in the day. I hope this game is just as cool.

I played the hell out of those Microprose games on my C64. 

But I'm quite sure Red Storm Rising got more hours than any other.  Probably even more than Sid Meier's Pirates, which I hadn't thought possible up until that point.  Next highest was probably Gunship.  But RSR eventually held the crown.  I also recall picking up the GDW version of Harpoon about the same time.   O0

Still remember that RSR red box, with the red manual and the red floppy disk.  Fond memories of wasting my youth, staring too closely at a tiny tv screen, and turning into a troglodyte albino cave dweller whilst dodging fat little pixel torpedoes.   ;D

How can you forget F-19A, or later, F-117A. I played F-117A through 99 missions, twice.