Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Well, there's time compression on sub sims like SH3/4 and Uboat. By 1942, you might have to deal with air patrols a lot if you're near coastlines, less so out in the briny deep. That's the shift from "the Hunter" to "the Hunted", even in terms of that board-game system.

I'd say pick earlier years and, especially for SH, different patrol areas. Do the Thousand Mile War in the North Pacific or something like that. ("Wolfpack" ran a campaign of that earlier this year.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

glen55

Quote from: Toonces on August 21, 2023, 12:31:04 PM^ Well said.  I should have been clearer on the distinction between sim and game.

Ultimately, what I'm advocating for is more "game" and less "sim" in more games.  Simulation has its place - to a point.  Past that point it adds (to me) baggage I have to wade through to get to the good parts. 

There is a balance. 

I don't know if you can even reasonably call Cold Waters a sim.  But it's a great game, with just enough sim elements to make it serious. 

These are, of course, very personal tastes. 

I want a game to hold my hand while it fools me into thinking I'm brilliantly accounting for all the little details myself.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Sir Slash

I'm with Glen55. And then it tells me how great I am after I make that routine torpedo shot followed by thanking me for letting it lose to me. Is that too much to ask for?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

SirAndrewD

I frankly think we have enough hardcore sims and not enough games with sim elements, so I find Cold Waters even with a hardcore Mod like DotMod refreshing.

Now if only Microprose can do the same with flight sims.  I've got what I need in hardcore in Great Battles and DCS.  Give me some Aces of the Pacific/Europe please.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback