Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

I very accurately predicted what would happen.  This was declared the modern equivalent of RSR.  I see people get excited about games a lot.  Nothing wrong with that.  But this thread seemed to go a little over the top.

mirth

Quote from: RyanE on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
I very accurately predicted what would happen.  This was declared the modern equivalent of RSR.  I see people get excited about games a lot.  Nothing wrong with that.  But this thread seemed to go a little over the top.

The designer's declared it the modern equivalent of RSR. It seems more like the modern equivalent of SSN, which while a fun game is not in the same league as RSR.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

SirAndrewD

Quote from: mirth on June 05, 2017, 03:52:17 PM

The designer's declared it the modern equivalent of RSR. It seems more like the modern equivalent of SSN, which while a fun game is not in the same league as RSR.

Yeah, it's hard to be the modern equivalent of RSR when you ignore some of the design decisions of RSR that made it manageable. 

I'm holding out judgement, I haven't played the game one second.  However, just early impressions from others seems to be that the price is a bit high for the delivered product, and there might have to be a few quality of life improvements.  I'll let it grow into its own skin and go on sale before I take the dive into Cold Waters.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Grogheads presents: Real Wargamers of Genius

Today we salute you, Mr. totally accurate predictor of overhyped bad games.

Calling it like you see it, you're living the dream of every grognard.

You pop into every thread just so you can leave your two cents, and then say, I told you so after the fact.

Sure, there is danger...afterall, you might break your dongle, or it may be lost in your luggage.

Your keen instincts tell you to avoid games that your fellow gamers are excited about, and if they turn out to be good, who cares? You'll pick it up on sale.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, accurate predictor boy. 'Cause we all know, when the going gets tough, the tough get dongles. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mirth

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 05, 2017, 03:58:07 PM
I'm holding out judgement, I haven't played the game one second.  However, just early impressions from others seems to be that the price is a bit high for the delivered product, and there might have to be a few quality of life improvements.  I'll let it grow into its own skin and go on sale before I take the dive into Cold Waters.

I'm sure I'll buy it at some point. Most likely the first time it goes on sale.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 05, 2017, 03:59:12 PM

You pop into every thread just so you can leave your two cents, and then say, I told you so after the fact.

Sure, there is danger...afterall, you might break your dongle, or it may be lost in your luggage.

Your keen instincts tell you to avoid games that your fellow gamers are excited about, and if they turn out to be good, who cares? You'll pick it up on sale.

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, accurate predictor boy. 'Cause we all know, when the going gets tough, the tough get dongles. 

Now this is worth $39.99.   :DD

JudgeDredd

So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, accurate predictor boy. 'Cause we all know, when the going gets tough, the tough get dongle.
Oh f**k!  :DD
Alba gu' brath

Millipede

"So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, accurate predictor boy. 'Cause we all know, when the going gets tough, the tough get dongles.

Jarhead, you crack me up :notworthy:... but Bud Light??? Please! I'm one of those effete "craft beer" snobs.

Anyway, I know I will get this sooner or later, I just hope the devs will do something about the course, depth micro-management. So I'm counting on you and Toonces for continued impressions to justify my $40 expenditure. I know I'm not going to be able to resist for long... help me, please

Barthheart

Weird.... downloading it here at my home PC it say it's 731MB...  ???

mikeck

Dammit. Perfect time for an "oh my" George Takei gif. You know...if I knew how to post one
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Millipede on June 05, 2017, 04:13:17 PM

"So crack open an ice cold Bud Light, accurate predictor boy. 'Cause we all know, when the going gets tough, the tough get dongles.

Jarhead, you crack me up :notworthy:... but Bud Light??? Please! I'm one of those effete "craft beer" snobs.

For those of our friends who may be from overseas, or are too young to remember the ad campaign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men_of_Genius
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on June 05, 2017, 04:14:08 PM

Dammit. Perfect time for an "oh my" George Takei gif. You know...if I knew how to post one
pour toi

Alba gu' brath

RyanE

Millipede

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 05, 2017, 04:15:51 PM
Quote from: Millipede on June 05, 2017, 04:13:17 PM

For those of our friends who may be from overseas, or are too young to remember the ad campaign

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Men_of_Genius

Great commercials (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQjash3vZuU&list=PLd7qU5EESCWIxmeEhatjcN5DQLLuEkRM8&index=1) :2funny:, but the product still sucks. (Serious thread deviation)