Main Menu

Cold Waters

Started by Thomasew, September 28, 2016, 09:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swatter

It's a brutal teacher. Firing a Harpoon at an ASW cruiser gets you a missile delivered torpedo for your trouble.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Swatter on June 06, 2017, 08:58:21 PM
It's a brutal teacher. Firing a Harpoon at an ASW cruiser gets you a missile delivered torpedo for your trouble.

True...but Harpoons are just so deadly. Thing of beauty.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2017, 09:13:15 PM

They may get one off, but 4 Harpoons into a surface flotilla is an alpha strike face wrecker.  Just be ready to go to flank, pop a decoy and dive and make knuckles right after the missiles are away.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on June 06, 2017, 09:15:44 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on June 06, 2017, 09:13:15 PM

They may get one off, but 4 Harpoons into a surface flotilla is an alpha strike face wrecker.  Just be ready to go to flank, pop a decoy and dive and make knuckles right after the missiles are away.

This was a favorite technique in red storm rising. Pump out a bunch of harpoons, dive deep, and flank speed. When the return torps hit where you were, and start circling, immediately turn away, and slow down. Worked like a champ.

Swatter

I am having trouble with aircraft at the moment. It seems like they can get a general fix on you most of the time, but have trouble getting a firing solution. Do they have some sort of magnetic anomaly detector or something?

vyshka

Quote from: Swatter on June 06, 2017, 11:43:55 PM
I am having trouble with aircraft at the moment. It seems like they can get a general fix on you most of the time, but have trouble getting a firing solution. Do they have some sort of magnetic anomaly detector or something?

At the very least some variants had a MAD, "Tu-142M2 'Bear-F Mod 3'   Model with a new magnetic anomaly detector (MAD)".

Nefaro

Quote from: Swatter on June 06, 2017, 11:43:55 PM

They shouldn't work well if you are deep.

Thought I saw something in the manual about them only working on you when at less than 500 ft depth (and, of course, the a/c flying almost directly overhead).

I've not tested this out in the game yet.

Even if some aren't equipped with MAD, the fixed-wing ASW patrol craft have many sonobuoys to drop.  They must use them quite liberally.  Those are more reliable at detecting you, nearby.  I don't think you can detect them splashing into the water near you, in-game, either.

They should be using sonobuoys to get a good fix on you for aerial torpedo launches.  So if they're dropping torpedoes on you, the aircraft has likely dropped sonobuoys nearby beforehand. 

jamus34

Doesn't Russian tactics typically use active sonobuoys so you should be able to see/hear them?
Insert witty comment here.

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on June 07, 2017, 05:02:02 AM
Doesn't Russian tactics typically use active sonobuoys so you should be able to see/hear them?

I've seen active sonobouys on the tactical display...  :o

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I haven't experimented with the difficulty settings yet, but I'm reading on the subsim forums that at higher difficulties the Russians use their active a lot less.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also made ownship torps a little less laser-like.

Might be worth trying out when I boot it up later.  Frankly, outside of the 688 I am having a pretty tough time on normal difficulty.  I was driving a Narwhal around like an F1 car last night, dodged about 8 torps before one finally got me.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Pete Dero

In case people want to mod the game or make missions :

Modding Guide by Killerfish Games - Creating custom content for Cold Waters.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=938593459

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2017, 06:31:53 AM

Yes, they show up on the tac display.  But I'm not sure if you'll always detect them. 

Their splashdowns may not show up if your sub is going so fast that it's sonar is washed out. 

Not sure if this is the case, or whether you always hear them within a certain range of your sub.

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on June 07, 2017, 08:53:37 AM
Quote from: Barthheart on June 07, 2017, 06:31:53 AM

Yes, they show up on the tac display.  But I'm not sure if you'll always detect them. 

Their splashdowns may not show up if your sub is going so fast that it's sonar is washed out. 

Not sure if this is the case, or whether you always hear them within a certain range of your sub.

Well I did get what seemed like small cinematics showing the Bear dropping the bouy and is splashing in... not sure if I saw that because I was poking around in 3rd person or becasaue I was close enough to actually hear the event...

Nefaro

Quote from: Toonces on June 07, 2017, 06:44:37 AM
I haven't experimented with the difficulty settings yet, but I'm reading on the subsim forums that at higher difficulties the Russians use their active a lot less.

I wouldn't be surprised if it also made ownship torps a little less laser-like.

Might be worth trying out when I boot it up later.  Frankly, outside of the 688 I am having a pretty tough time on normal difficulty.  I was driving a Narwhal around like an F1 car last night, dodged about 8 torps before one finally got me.

Saw a dev post that difficulty settings are just multipliers for things like sonar effectiveness, hull integrity, etc for both sides.

His posted numbers indicated that the "Hard" difficulty all had x1 on everything except enemy hull integrity, which was set to x1.15.

Not sure if there is a behavior difference, other than what is dictated by higher/lower effectiveness.