Main Menu

My B-17

Started by JudgeDredd, July 15, 2012, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

So I bought an Academy B-17F Flying Fortress to make after I've completed my Mossie...and here it is.

Looking at the instructions, they look incredibly simple. I've read some mixed reviews about this model...and looking at the kit, there's a reasonable bit of "tidying up" to do. There also seems to be some filling required - something I haven't done before but will possibly attempt this time round.

Well - as seems to be the case, people often "dry make" their models...so here's the Academy B-17F Flying Fortress...one of my all time favourite WWII bombers

And for scale...

My 1:72 B-17 with a 1:72 He-111 and 1:72 Spit
Alba gu' brath

TheCommandTent

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

JudgeDredd

Some updates due I suppose. I've been putting it off because I bought the masking markers for windows and wasn't looking forward to putting them on.

As it is - they weren't great as in some of them didn't "fit" the glass layout (the back section being most noticable.

Anyway - here are pics of the masked windows and the interior. My apologies for the quality - it seems I'm average at photography as I am at modelling!

Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

It's an Academy 1:72.

The model quality is not great - you can see in the pictures the gaps which will be there...I don't think I'll get an Academy again.
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Actually those photos are pretty good.

I'll share a couple of my secrets which may help you gain a bit more confidence.

First, (although the images aren't shaky) it can help to have a tripod.

Second, (although the focus is fine) you can select a setting on your camera usually called "macro." It's specially designed for close-ups.

There are products available to fill in the gaps between the pieces, though it can add a fair amount of time filling them in and then filing them down.

Regardless, I think you've done a fine job. I can't wait to see how it turns out. B-17s are beautiful.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JudgeDredd

Thanks LB.

I actually have a tripod. I was lazy! :-) And I did use a setting on my camera actually Super Macro. They lookd clearer on the LCD on the camera than they did uploaded. I don't think it's the reduction in quality from saving from camera (I resize the images) as it does look like a focus issue and as I said, they looked pretty clear on the LCD when I took 'em.

As for the B-17 - They are beautiful aircraft and one of my favourite WWII bombers - however I'm a little disappointed with this model. There has been a hell of a lot of filing already required. The masking (although apparently made for the model) didn't seem to "fit" the layout of the windows all the time. There are looking like there are going to be a fair few gaps AND on top of all that, the wings/tail aerolons look like they are going to be a bugger to "sit" right i.e. get the angle of the fit correct as the fitting seems very loose.

I don't think I'm going to fill it. I think I'll make it and be done and maybe in the future replace it with a better quality model....I don't know.

Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 08, 2012, 08:33:51 AM
Thanks LB.

I actually have a tripod. I was lazy! :-) And I did use a setting on my camera actually Super Macro. They lookd clearer on the LCD on the camera than they did uploaded. I don't think it's the reduction in quality from saving from camera (I resize the images) as it does look like a focus issue and as I said, they looked pretty clear on the LCD when I took 'em.

I have seen that. When an image is compressed, sometimes it's clearer. I think cameras these days can take pictures larger than their lenses are capable of rendering in a truly clear fashion. Especially if they're like the $200 cameras that I typically buy.

QuoteAs for the B-17 - They are beautiful aircraft and one of my favourite WWII bombers - however I'm a little disappointed with this model. There has been a hell of a lot of filing already required. The masking (although apparently made for the model) didn't seem to "fit" the layout of the windows all the time. There are looking like there are going to be a fair few gaps AND on top of all that, the wings/tail aerolons look like they are going to be a bugger to "sit" right i.e. get the angle of the fit correct as the fitting seems very loose.

I don't think I'm going to fill it. I think I'll make it and be done and maybe in the future replace it with a better quality model....I don't know.

Bummer. I hate it when I get a crappy kit. Still, it'll be fun to look at when you're done and I doubt most folks who visit will even realize the shortcomings of the model :)

JudgeDredd

Apparently the masking issues is my bad. I bought the wrong masking kit. Sure - I bought the Eduard B-17 masking kit for the Academy - but apparently that's not a dedicated masking kit for the Academy B-17F.

The model still isn't great. One of my favourite bombers of WWII and it turned out to be an unworthy kit. It really doesn't fit well together. I had to shave a fair bit off the the cockpit window and the top window behind the top gunner to have them fit to any degree - minimising gaps. The wings aren't sitting tight. The less than helpful instructions...it's just been a chore.

But I'll finish it an move on.

These are the latest pics...wings on, gunner turrets in, fuselage glued.

Alba gu' brath

TheCommandTent

Its looking good to me.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I love the size. It gives a real sense of how big and bad that baby is.

JudgeDredd

She is a beautiful machine!

I'm kind of pleased the first coat of paint went on ok. I''m definitely thinking about a sprya gun soon. My paints are "drying" up in the tins. Probably down to not cleaning the tin properly before closing - but I'm almost at the stage of using that as an excuse to move to spray gun and acrylics

A few pics with the bottom painted

Alba gu' brath

Smuckatelli

Updates?

She is looking really good...

JudgeDredd

yeah - sorry about that. I've not done a great deal extra to her - because it's pretty dark at night (I know there's electricity!) but the lights are those gawd awful energy saving bulbs (wife is mad on em!). So I can only do the models at the weekend - and I was out last weekend to a mates wedding.

She's actually looking quite sexy.

But this weekend I'll get some more photos up. She's had a coat of olive drab and looks quite sweet. All hand painted mind! The grey I choose for the underneath is way too dark...but I'm not really going for historical accuracy anyway!

Have a look Saturday morning and Sunday evening. I'll be on a push to finish her this weekend.
Alba gu' brath

LongBlade

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to new pics.

JudgeDredd

Well....she does look better "not so close". The photos actually show loads of little things that you just don't really see just looking.

I do have to touch up some paint where glue has got onto the painted surface. I may use Klear as I did before...that will take away some imperfections, though I'm not a huge fan of the glossy look it gives. Red paint parts need an extra coat or two. The grey underneath is too dark - but I'm not going for authenticity and I used what I had.

Where I used tape for the lines, it seems I may be using too thick a tape. there's quite a ridge there.

That's all quite apart from having the wrong window paper from Eduardo (not their fault) for the top, rear and bottom gunners.

Anyway - trust me - she does look sweet (from a distance) :-)

Alba gu' brath