Aircraft Carriers in Space

Started by DicedT, September 28, 2012, 03:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DicedT

My interview with naval analyst and wargamer Chris Weuve on how science-fiction gets space combat wrong: http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/09/28/aircraft_carriers_in_space

Windigo

My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

LongBlade

Well done!

Love this one:

QuoteI also know a number of naval officers who have admitted to me that the reason they joined the Navy was because Starfleet Command wasn't hiring.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

bayonetbrant

My favorite Chris Weuve quote (among many) came from this year's Connections, when Paul Vebber was discussing "doing things just because you can" and not because there's a practical reason for it.  Paul quoted Chris talking about the Obi-Wan vs Vader fight at the end of Revenge of the Sith on the lava planet, where there are robots doing all manner of odd jobs in the background.

Chris asked "what is the problem to which 'flying robots carrying buckets of lava' is the solution?"

Love it...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

mirth

The answer to that question is simple... George Lucas
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Con

Those are Sith Smores they are making

Con