Shoulder Issues

Started by Knavery, October 23, 2012, 07:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knavery

Hey guys,
I just turned 40 this summer, but it seems that I'm starting to fall apart, which isn't something I noticed until very recently. It could be that I just moved to a new house and have taken on more than I should, but not sure.

At any rate, I've noticed my range of motion in my left shoulder is very limited. I can't really swing my arm around or move it in certain angles. It's as if the rotator cuff is messed up. This is also present in my right arm, but not nearly as bad.

I've seen a chiropractor about it, but I've yet to get actual treatment. The chiropractor I saw uses "different" methods. Instead of treating the specific area, he believes the spine controls everything from shoulder pain to acid reflux to high blood pressure. It sounds like Eastern medicine to me, but I'm willing to give it a shot I guess.

I've worked on a laptop using a keyboard and mouse all day for 11+ years. Plus, I game a lot afterwards.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? If so, did you get around surgery? I'd love to hear your stories.  Thanks!

Gusington

Welcome Knavery. I am sure some of the old farts here will be able to help you out. Feel better.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Get an MRI...you may have a partial rotator cuff tear. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Barthheart

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2012, 08:04:58 AM

This.

Plus go see a physiotherapist rather than a chiropractor.

LongBlade

Quote from: Barthheart on October 23, 2012, 09:48:25 AM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on October 23, 2012, 08:04:58 AM

This.

Plus go see a physiotherapist rather than a chiropractor.

+1

Chiropractors are fine if your back hurts. Some of them, however, think they can cure almost any ailment. I have yet to remain convinced of this when it comes to something like, say, a torn rotator cuff.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Grimnirsson

QuoteI just turned 40 this summer, but it seems that I'm starting to fall apart,

It doesn't just seem so my friend...turning 40 is a dangerous step on the path to eternity. When I turned 40 my system started to screw up almost the day after my birthday...and to my SO (who was laughing and didn't believe me) I said 'Just wait and see what happens when it's your turn...' She turned 40...and she didn't laugh anymore...this number 40 is just a symbol for a dangerous time to come...

;)

Go and see a real doctor, make a MRI scan to actually see what's up with your shoulder, don't play games with your health. Get well soon :)
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

besilarius

You've probably had this checked out, but if not, it could be a calcium deposit.
Doesn't seem like this could happen, but a friend who very regularly played tennis noticed his range of movement was becoming limited.
His doctor diagnosed a calcium deposit and said to sit on the edge of the examining table.
He then raised my friend's arm as far up as it would go,and got under the arm.
With a hand on the patient's shoulder, the doctor abruptly stood up and there was a looud crack.
After dealing with the pain, my friend found he had his movement almost all the way back.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Did you injure it when you were young? I had a good tackle in rugby where I fealt his shoulder bone go right down to my thigh bone. The leg swelled up 5" after the game relative to the other one. I was limping for a month. It all went away until I got to 40 where I can feel limited flexibility. My shoulder also grinds like mad from my tackles.

You have to stretch several times per week or it will just deteriorate.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

Knavery

Hey guys,
I haven't been to an MD yet, because I'm afraid they're all just going to say I need surgery. And that is not an option for me right now. I don't recall ever injuring it while I was younger. This happened out of the blue about 2-3 months ago. I can do most things, but I really notice it when I lie on that side in bed and stretch my arm out. Also, one day last week I slipped in Walgreens and almost fell on my ass. I swung my left arm out to catch my balance and it hurt like a bitch afterwards. So something is definitely wrong. But you're all right... I should see a doctor.

bob48

Man, you can't take chances with your health, and it can only get worse as you get older unless you get it fixed now. I'm really sensitive to stuff like that now as a get near to my 64th b/day and have a couple of health issues because I did not get them sorted when I should have done.

We Grogs have take care of ourselves! ;)
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

MetalDog

64?!  You threw me off with the 48 in bob48.  Well, happy pre-birthday!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

GDS_Starfury

thank God I dont work behind a desk!
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Steelgrave

Knavery, if you happen to take meds for cholesterol (especially Lipitor), there is an outside chance that you are having a reaction to the drug. I took Lipitor for 8 years before it happened to me, but it can be very, very serious if left untreated. Unexplained muscle pain in the arm(s) and shoulder is one of the possible symptoms. If you happen to be a diabetic (as I am), another common issue can be a "frozen shoulder", which can be painful and render a great loss of mobility in your shoulder. A frozen shoulder is not a permanent condition and is treatable with therapy, but it's no fun.

Hopefully you fall into neither of these categories, but I thought I would toss them out there since they hadn't been mentioned yet.

undercovergeek

Quote from: MetalDog on October 24, 2012, 10:33:59 PM

I've always taken it to be bobs year of birth which ties in with his post.... What you've got to ask yourself is what century the 48 is from... He's reeeeeeeeeealy old!

bob48

Quote from: MetalDog on October 24, 2012, 10:33:59 PM

:)Thanks - another 3 weeks yet!
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!