Main Menu

Weekend Eats

Started by bayonetbrant, March 31, 2012, 08:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bison

Photos or it didn't happen Martok!  :P

Martok

I thought about that.  Unfortunately, I don't have a camera, and my phone's pic memory is already full.  :-[  Believe, though, it was glorious! 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Windigo

Quote from: Martok on September 30, 2013, 10:01:42 PM
Incidentally, my friends & I hit Brit's Pub in Minneapolis on Saturday after we left the Renaissance Festival.  I'd never been there before, but boy am I glad we went! 

I had this dish called Bangers and Mash, described in the menu as, "A right royal portion of our specially made banger sausages and mash with a traditional brown gravy over the top ".  Good lord, that stuff was amazing.  The sausages were a wonder of sweet but mildly spicy flavor-fulness, the onions were grilled & caramelized to perfection, and the mashed 'taters w/ gravy were honestly the best I've ever had -- seriously, it was like God himself made them. 

I can't f**king wait to go back.

+1

you should be a food columnist
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

Martok

Heh, thanks Windy.  I'm just an amateur enthusiast when it comes to food, but I accept the compliment.  :) 

"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

undercovergeek

Quote from: Barthheart on September 22, 2013, 05:38:51 AM
Saturday's dinner:

Peppercorn and garlic crusted roast pork with sweet onion and rosemary gravy, roasted cauliflower with cumin seed, fennel seed and hot pepper flakes, roasted garden fresh beets.

wheres the rest?

Barthheart

bayonetbrant

This weekend it was a pan of sautéed awesome

That's chicken, bacon, onions, peas, and gnocchi, and yes, we sautéed to gnocchi, too, after it was boiled.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

Quote from: bayonetbrant on October 28, 2013, 05:33:27 AM
This weekend it was a pan of sautéed awesome

That's chicken, bacon, onions, peas, and gnocchi, and yes, we sautéed to gnocchi, too, after it was boiled.

i could get on board with that - ou est le fromage?

bayonetbrant

you can sprinkle park reggiano on it.

I added some thyme, pepper, and butter, as I was all out of good cheese
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

undercovergeek

sold - in fact its on the shopping list it looks that tasty

GDS_Starfury

if ya got a deep fryer throw some breaded gnocci in that.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

actual recipe:

chop 1 small yellow onion
slice 1/2 pound bacon (think-cut works best)
put both into a pan on medium heat, and stir occasionally - cook about 5-6 minutes on it's own

while that cooks, fire up another pan to med-hi heat w/ about 2 tbsp of olive oil (or butter, if you're going full-on heart attack mode)
cut the chicken into 1-in chunks, season w/ salt & pepper, and sear the outsides before finishing the cooking at lower heat
Once the bacon is reasonably browned, us a skimmer or slotted spoon to fish the bacon/onions out and put into the pan with the chicken
add a bag of frozen peas, and continue to cook on low heat (you may want to cover it)
blot up / soak up some of the grease from this pan, but don't discard it

Somewhere in there you needed to get the gnocchi boiling - best to start it right before you pull the bacon out of its pan
Once the gnocchi are floating, skim them out and put them right into the bacon/onion grease, on medium heat, and turn occasionally, 'til you get a decent brown char on at least one side
Add 1/3 cup of the water from the gnocchi to the chicken mix to help finish the peas and keep the chicken moist

Once the gnocchi are sauteed, dump everything into a big bowl (the photo above) and season with butter, thyme, pepper, and parm-reg cheese.

Enjoy

then enjoy the leftovers for a few days, too :)

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2013, 07:39:55 AM
if ya got a deep fryer throw some breaded gnocci in that.

there's already gnocchi in it :)

GDS_Starfury

no no no.  just deep fry the gnocci on its own.  makes a great game day snack.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 28, 2013, 08:00:09 AMno no no.  just deep fry the gnocci on its own.  makes a great game day snack.

my misunderstoodinizing.

maybe I'll try that some time