Main Menu

New Rig...part trois

Started by Jarhead0331, December 27, 2023, 03:22:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

I run about 6 rigs in my house at any given time.

Workshop - Win10, GeForce 980, old generation i7 processor - mostly used for 3D printing
Game room - Win10, GeForce 1070, mid-range i7 processor - mostly used by my oldest daughter for school and play
Office - Win11Pro, GeForce 4090, 13th generation i9 - Solely for flight simming in VR
       - Win11Home, GeForce 3080ti, 12th generation i9 - Mostly for non-flight high-end gaming, VR and Pancake
       - Win10, Radeon RX 6900XT Graphics, Ryzen 9 5900X processor - This was a COVID rig. Good, but rarely used
       - Win10, Geforce 1080, 5th generation i7 - mostly for older or low-end gaming and applications

In any event, the Geforce 1080 rig has really been a workhorse. It is really long in the tooth though, and has to be at least 8 or 9 years old. I use it for some work, but primarily for low-end gaming and to run older games and applications. I've been thinking about replacing it for a long time now, but it has so many years of data on it, that I've just put it off. Lately, its started to slow down and I know its getting to the end of life. With so many holiday deals, I couldn't resist.

I went with a...prebuild...a Micro Center PowerSpec G475. On sale for only $2,700! Its an i9-14900kf, with a GeForce RTX 4080, 64GB G.Skill 5600 ram, 2 TB SSD. I added a second 2TB WD Black 850x SSD. I couldn't come close to this price on a custom build anywhere.

The PowerSpec rigs are rated very positively and I figured since the brick and mortar store is close, any issues can more or less be easily addressed. I'm still setting it up and downloading software, but I'm very impressed so far. The rig is very well-build, very clean inside and has good quality components. Just opening the box and looking at the items included in the package, you know the guys who built it know what they're doing.

So, I'll finally be retiring the 1080. She was a great rig.

in any event, for anyone looking to pick up a pre-built system and if you're on a budget, I so far recommend looking at these without reservation.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

W8taminute

I've always liked Micro Center but the only one in my state, that is if it still exists, is about an hour drive away for me. 

Nevertheless I assume I can just order stuff online from them.  My iBuypower which is also about 7 or 8 years old now is still chugging along but I'll probably need to replace it this year if possible. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk