DVG Huey Leader

Started by MikeGER, April 11, 2013, 11:26:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeGER

I just learned over at BGG that a follow-up from TAL is on the horizon  :)

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/941056/is-there-going-to-be-a-cthulhu-or-other-expansion
and
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/959574/huey-leader

cant wait !

- on a side note -
in the meantime i got me the recently released VASSAl Module for TAL,
after reading this review here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/950039/short-review-of-vassal-module-for-tal

(in addition to my board game ...so i can play it more often ... and its one step closer to finally have it on the PC (or Android), mainly to have the rules enforced and even more convenience then the Vassal-version has already build in)   

Grimnirsson

Since all Leader games are FANTASTIC coop games as well as solitaires I don't get why Dan is not telling people this.  I continue to tell him 'write on the damn box it's a COOP design as well as a solitaire' and you will get some attention from folks who don't play solitaires and prefer coop over competetive gameplay...but he doesn't listen...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

That is AMAZING news. Thanks very much MikeGer. Keep us posted on release when you hear of it - though I will be following it's progress.

The Leader games are my favourite games. Punchy, easy, quick and beautiful.

I often wondered about the Vassal modules. Are they free? (I wouldn't have thought so).

Part of the problem for me with the vassal stuff is
a) setting up/book keeping are part of the allure of boardgaming for me
b) multiplayer - I just can't(won't?) do it

But I may be interested in the Vassal module if they just help learn the rules.
Alba gu' brath

Toonces

I'm really envious of guys like Dan Verssen and Mark Walker.

They developed a really, really great boardgame mechanic and now they can just keep boxing the idea up in a new way and rake in the cash.

I still haven't tried any of these games, but I do intend to pick up Thunderbolt/Apache Leader soon.  Maybe Hornet too...I really do need to get onboard with this whole thing.  So many people have raved about this series.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grimnirsson

QuoteI'm really envious of guys like Dan Verssen and Mark Walker.

Dan writes the better rules...
Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Toonces on April 11, 2013, 01:53:29 PM
I'm really envious of guys like Dan Verssen and Mark Walker.

They developed a really, really great boardgame mechanic and now they can just keep boxing the idea up in a new way and rake in the cash.

I still haven't tried any of these games, but I do intend to pick up Thunderbolt/Apache Leader soon.  Maybe Hornet too...I really do need to get onboard with this whole thing.  So many people have raved about this series.

I could do an AAR if you'd like help being swayed.

Great games...kudos to Dan for a great solitaire system.

Mark - well - the game looks great and I am so desperately trying to get the rules down for his game. But they are - well, I don't know. Maybe I'm just getting dumb in my old age. I do know I have a bad short term memory - so that doesn't help...but at the minute I'm in Holland on holiday and I've been up early every morning (can't sleep in) and I've been trying to slog my way through the first half of the rule book - FOR THE THIRD TIME.

I want to love his game (Band of Heroes) - but I'm struggling. I've watched videos and read/re-read the first half of the book and still I think "How the hell am I meant to implement all these rules?"

But Dan's Leader games - no sales pitch required - they are AWESOME.
Alba gu' brath

MikeGER

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 11, 2013, 01:39:03 PM
I often wondered about the Vassal modules. Are they free? (I wouldn't have thought so).

Part of the problem for me with the vassal stuff is
a) setting up/book keeping are part of the allure of boardgaming for me
b) multiplayer - I just can't(won't?) do it

But I may be interested in the Vassal module if they just help learn the rules.
JD this comercial product module is 30 USD (= 19.5 GBP ) flat, no taxes involved , delivery is a download link in an email you get a few hours after the purchase from DVG

i didn't explored Vassal since years, and kind of a newbee again ...and now i only use it solitary as a virtual table

The TAL vassal module is a 1: 1 representation of the boardgame with scans of all things in the box!
Of course you setup the game as usual yourself,  and also keep book in its virtual log sheet yourself too (but you can save different stages of your gaming progress with a comment in a log with vassal,  and can return to that save, if 4expl.,  you discover you forgot a rule and spoiled it...)
Rules are not enforced, but there is some convenience build in, like clearing the table after a mission, or the automatic placement of the battalion counters in the sector area when you activate a drawn battalion card ... and such
i just started exploring to play at my new virtual table....