Dominions 3 75 % off at gamersgate

Started by Zulu1966, March 29, 2013, 08:33:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

undercovergeek

W8 the das ones are essential - the guy is revisiting the game after not playing for ages - no phd required, he makes mistakes goes thru whole episodes on the interface, describes what every unit stat means and how the games matches those against the enemy ones - tbh - everything you need to know is in there - the first hour is picking a god, why, how and what it will effect

jomni

Ok I haven't read anything yet. How do you build structures and province improvements?

Greybriar

Quote from: jomni on April 01, 2013, 04:45:11 AM
Ok I haven't read anything yet. How do you build structures and province improvements?

At the bottom left of a commander's icon is shown what its current activity is. Default is "Defend" I believe. Click on "Defend" or whatever and you will be given a menu of actions available to that particular unit, one of which should be "Construct Building."

At least that's how I've been doing it.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

Huw the Poo

The only stuctures you actually build are fortifications, labs and temples.  Priests build temples, any mage can build a lab and any commander at all can build a fortification.  The only other province improvement is province defense, which is abstracted as a numerical value.  The more gold you spend on it, the more "free" troops you get defending a province.  You should read about these in the manual because there are many implications to all of them.

JasonPratt

True, the game is deceptively simple that way.

Then you learn that apparently not even the developers have ever written down all the rules in once place before.  :o

(Incidentally, this is the cheapest I've ever seen the game. Spent around $70 on the previous Dom2, and $70 again on the initial release of Dom3. The third version was definitely worth that price.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

If I'd known just how amazing Dom3 is, I would've ordered the physical copy from Shrapnel whatever the cost.  Ah well.

W8taminute

Guys, thank you so much for those tips and video links.  Das is absolutely brilliant and watching his first three videos have improved my understanding of the game considerably.  I'm very grateful for your help.

HerrSunk is an interesting character.  He seems to blow right through the instructions but his style is good for learning some tips quickly.  Das elaborates on and on but it is done systematically.  When you don't have a lot of time to watch a video turn to HerrSunk. 

I still can't believe how deep this game really is.  I wish I had learned about it sooner because this is a game that will stand the test of time.  Now I'm thinking I should look into some of the other games this company has turned out because obviously they do quality work.  I'm hooked!!
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

JasonPratt

The Grogheads Middle Age game for newbies is now open and looking for players!

All ye who just bought the game, attend!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!