The Groginati Sales Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, November 18, 2012, 06:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete Dero

Quote from: smittyohio on June 29, 2016, 11:31:21 AM
What is the difference b/w these 2:

http://www.dynaverse.net/market/7-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-empired-at-war.html
http://www.dynaverse.net/market/2-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-community-edition.html

SFC 2:Community Edition v2.6.6.0 Release Notes 

SFC 2:CE Game Client v2.6.6.0
-Updated Code to Visual Studio 2012 from Visual C++ 6.0 (that means we went forward over 10 years on the programming of the game)
-Full Windows XP/Vista/7/8 Support
-Updated to DirectX 7 from DirectX 5,6 (allows compatibility with in game overlays in EvolveHQ)
-Fixed Old Error with fighters in Supply Dock
-Changed Multiplayer port to 27200 from 2600 - 2700
-Support for SFC 2:OP weapons arcs (these are for a ShipList hopefully incomming from FireSoul)
-Support more ships per class (these are for a ShipList hopefully incomming from FireSoul)
-HET and other ship actions are no longer based on a dice roll
-Better support for multi-core pcs (runs more stable)
-A bazillion under the hood changes, fixes, updates you will likely never know about

Pete Dero

Quote from: FlickJax on June 29, 2016, 10:31:22 AM
Windows 10 ?

I think windows 10 has native ISO file support but I stuck with windows 7 (and I used the free program Imgburn to burn the ISO)

Dammit Carl!

Just chiming in to say that I've loved Starfleet Command for forever; still have SfC:OP on me hard drive on my tired, old lappy and still crank it up every now and then.

Loves me some Star Trek, I do.

kludger

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 29, 2016, 11:46:41 AM

http://www.dynaverse.net/market/7-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-empired-at-war.html
http://www.dynaverse.net/market/2-star-trek-starfleet-command-2-community-edition.html

SFC 2:Community Edition v2.6.6.0 Release Notes 

SFC 2:CE Game Client v2.6.6.0
-Updated Code to Visual Studio 2012 from Visual C++ 6.0 (that means we went forward over 10 years on the programming of the game)
-Full Windows XP/Vista/7/8 Support
-Updated to DirectX 7 from DirectX 5,6 (allows compatibility with in game overlays in EvolveHQ)
-Fixed Old Error with fighters in Supply Dock
-Changed Multiplayer port to 27200 from 2600 - 2700
-Support for SFC 2:OP weapons arcs (these are for a ShipList hopefully incomming from FireSoul)
-Support more ships per class (these are for a ShipList hopefully incomming from FireSoul)
-HET and other ship actions are no longer based on a dice roll
-Better support for multi-core pcs (runs more stable)
-A bazillion under the hood changes, fixes, updates you will likely never know about

Does the SFC2 Community Edition still include the tutorial campaign?

I've had this on my GOG wishlist for the longest time, mostly thanks to you guys here, but I've never played the series before so would definitely want the version with the tutorial and newbie campaign. Thanks in advance.

Pete Dero

Quote from: kludger on June 29, 2016, 03:53:48 PM
Does the SFC2 Community Edition still include the tutorial campaign?

I've had this on my GOG wishlist for the longest time, mostly thanks to you guys here, but I've never played the series before so would definitely want the version with the tutorial and newbie campaign. Thanks in advance.

The CE has 12 campaigns and 6 tutorial scenarios.  I don't think there is a special tutorial campaign.

JasonPratt

Does the CE have the Orion Pirates expansion material?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

bbmike

Since Starfleet Command was brought up I'm required by law to mention: It should have been turn-based or at least have the option for turn-based play.  C:-)
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

kludger

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 30, 2016, 02:31:51 AM
The CE has 12 campaigns and 6 tutorial scenarios.  I don't think there is a special tutorial campaign.
Thanks for the good info in this thread, saved me from buying it on GOG and missing out on the CE.

Nefaro

The "Community Edition" is a modded version which includes some later community additions. 

I've experienced a couple bugs, with the CE version, which made it freeze or CTD.  Took me awhile to find a text edit workaround for one, but then found another.   Unless it's had more updates, I don't recommend it.

I also don't recommend the regular SFC2:EAW since it occasionally glitches, or gets graphical screen tearing/anomalies. 

As I said before..... pick up SFC2: Orion Pirates.  It was the latest vanilla version & a standalone upgrade from SFC2:EAW. 

Part of that upgrade was to a later version of DirectX, along with some minor gfx and sound improvements.  Game engine tweaks too, perhaps?  I think this is part of the reason it runs stable as a rock (in my experience) on more modern Windows OSes compared to the EAW versions. 

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 29, 2016, 11:49:48 AM
Windows 10 ?

I think windows 10 has native ISO file support but I stuck with windows 7 (and I used the free program Imgburn to burn the ISO)

IIRC..

I just used the freeware 7-Zip and unpacked the files with it.  It can open disc images such as ISOs.  Installed just fine from the extracted files.

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on June 30, 2016, 12:02:38 PM
Does the CE have the Orion Pirates expansion material?

No.  CE is based on the earlier EAW.

gameleaper

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-comics-bundle

a huge start trek collection of books and commics, for cheap a bones prices

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

mirth

Man, the download speed is glacial
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

Quote from: Pete Dero on June 29, 2016, 11:49:48 AM
Windows 10 ?

Apparently my version of Win 7 has a native burner. Took me more time to find my blank DVDs than to burn the iso to disc. Installing it now. Easy-peasy.