What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

We discuss tabletop games here?  All my attempts quickly get ignored and bypassed by 8 pages of asshattery.

mirth

No worries. I'm with Bison. I'll step back so as not to intrude on the safe space for all you hardcore wargamers. Grog on!  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-) C:-)

Let's all take a deep breath and step back for a sec.

Yes, there's been a bunch of non-wargaming banter, but panzerde does have a point.  This thread was started in the "Wargaming" board and we do actually have a separate section for more general boardgames.

While it's not always a great idea to fragment the discussion, we might want to weed out the discussions of more general Eurogaming from the more hard-core wargaming that this area was originally intended for.

Yes, there are plenty of times when we get off-topic, but when we stray too far, it's not a bad idea to perhaps rein ourselves in and refocus.

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I always thought this thread was just boardgaming pr0n, to show off your proud pics of your latest boardgaming acquisitions. Whether that's some Eurogame or hardcore wargame, it doesn't matter - if it's a boardgame, it fits here.

Asshattery notwithstanding regarding Catan, Agricola, Puerto Rico, Vomfulla, Oregano, Spices & Sh*tbags, or whatever else fits into the definition of derision for anyone...well, actually, asshattery is an ongoing GH thing, as is derailing threads, so...what's the problem?

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 10:55:21 AM

Yes, there are plenty of times when we get off-topic, but when we stray too far, it's not a bad idea to perhaps rein ourselves in and refocus.

And this is why the mods are paid the "big bucks."

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

Quote from: bayonetbrant on June 20, 2017, 10:56:58 AM
We can relocate the asshattery to minimize the thread derailment.

It's not an unreasonable request.

Joking aside, no, of course it's not unreasonable.

mirth

I have no problem not derailing the thread. I looked it this as a more general open thread, but clearly that's not how other's see it.

I will say if people want to be pedantic about staying on topic and only talking about "real wargames" then this place will be a lot less fun and interesting to me. There are plenty of other places that are more militant about staying OT and avoiding "asshattery" and I tend to avoid them.

I play a lot of wargames. Probably more than most of you. I don't stress about the style of conversation that happens in a thread like this.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

bayonetbrant

Quote from: mirth on June 20, 2017, 11:04:47 AM
I have no problem not derailing the thread. I looked it this as a more general open thread, but clearly that's not how other's see it.

I think we treated it that way for a while, but we can split the meeples and minions into their own thread and get back to nicely-rounded counters over here.

Barthheart

BanzaiCat

LOL @ Barth...saw that one comin'!  :2funny:

bayonetbrant

Barth, I'll be honest, I've only ever clipped one set of counters as an entire set, and that was the one's for DG's Congo Merc.  They were so poorly punched that they were unplayable.  I had to xacto a few of them out of the sheet, and then clip almost all of them b/c they were so poorly cut by the printer.

Most of the time it's just a stray counter or two that need cleaning up, but I really like how clean the new LNLP countershafts punch out.

Barthheart

I agree on LnL's new counter punching. Nice and clean. Flying Pig is using the same shape for their games and Mark is using the sprues to store the counters instead of toss them.

I'm all for innovations and pre-rounded corners seem to be the way of the future. I just don't agree to cutting up actual square counters.

bayonetbrant

One thing I like about LNLP's new counters is that b/c they're not bumped up against each other, a slight miscut is still recoverable.

bayonetbrant

When I get home tonight, I'm cracking out the Barbarossa card game I got from the Japanime guys (yes, you read that right) and get to shuffling the cards.  I'll post pics.

Barthheart

I've still seen their cuts too close and you lose a number or 2.