What's on your table right now?

Started by bayonetbrant, January 27, 2012, 09:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: BanzaiCat on November 08, 2017, 08:03:39 AM
I've got a copy of First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet coming tomorrow.

Thought it would be funny if, in an AAR of this game, some GH forum members were put on Mars and see how long it takes before they accidentally vent the habitation module. :)

*cough*finish outpost gamma *cough*

BanzaiCat

^ ;D

Oh yes, that's much higher priority. First Martians has a learning curve. I'll be lucky to even get it to my table before the end of the year.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Barthheart on November 08, 2017, 09:15:55 AM
Here's my pic....

It's been a few decades but I thought Bill had two arms on one side of his body?
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Barthheart

I found that cover too. It's the one I remember as well but all the rest were like this with 2 right arms, one on each side.

Nefaro

Quote from: Staggerwing on November 08, 2017, 07:56:54 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on November 08, 2017, 09:15:55 AM
Here's my pic....

It's been a few decades but I thought Bill had two arms on one side of his body?

Quote from: Barthheart on November 08, 2017, 09:01:58 PM
I found that cover too. It's the one I remember as well but all the rest were like this with 2 right arms, one on each side.

His left arm is backwards on that cover.

Apparently a right arm.

Barthheart

That's what I said, 2 right arms, one on each side.....

BanzaiCat

Both arrived earlier this week but I haven't had a chance to unbox either yet.

(I know, First Martians isn't exactly a wargame, and This War Of Mine isn't exactly a wargame but it does deal with conflict and surviving during a war...I'm reaching, please don't ban me).

BanzaiCat

Thought I'd check out the attic and yep, my copies of War at Sea and Victory in the Pacific are still there.  8)

I decided to try to give VitP a spin this weekend. At the end of Turn 2, the Japs have lost four flattops and one BB; the Allies have lost six CVs, six BBs, and five cruisers. Had three big battles where the Allies handily won one, it was kind of a tie on the second, and the third the Japanese cleaned house with the British.

It won't stay long as I need to get other things to my table, but it was nice to play this - it's been about 25 years since it's hit my table!

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Nefaro

My eyes! 

They burn!

That map color scheme makes me suicidal.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Played my first game of Heroes of the Falklands yesterday.  I screwed up/forgot a lot of the rules during the session but we had fun with it.  The scenario had a company of Argie parachutists and heliborne troops conducting a pre-dawn assault on couple of platoons of British Marines stationed in a small town.  I played as the Brits and it came down to the wire with the Argies winning on points 35/32.

Couple observations. 

1) Brit light armour sucks! One got taken out by a rocket attack from an Alouette helicopter.  The other got blown up by a bomb from a Pucara.  Neither managed to hit a single thing before dying. 

2)  HE rounds from LAW rockets and bazookas seem very over-powered as they negate all terrain defence.  I think I might use the depletion rule for ATGMs for LAWs and bazookas as well as the Argies were able to park themselves within a few hexes of the main building and just lob 3.5 rockets in turn after turn after turn.  Seemed a bit excessive.

3) Who knew Pucaras could be so deadly?  Air strikes seem like they're from a Michael Bay movie.  The bloody thing made 3 passes in a single turn (every time anyone rolled doubles, the Argies got an air strike and there was a special rule that let Argies roll an extra die for all attacks so doubles were inevitable).  On such small maps, it's easy for the planes to line up and nail 2-3 hexes full of targets with ease.  (and the bombs use the same rule regarding terrain so any defence benefits are negated.  Seems odd to me.  Even foxholes and bunkers seem to offer no defence)

Silent Disapproval Robot