The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

JD or MikeGer,

I attempted to import my own layer, but did not have success.  I downloaded the program and followed all the steps (included the ones the devs posted on the official site) and no luck.  I get to the point of being able to add the layer to the game, but I never since the map/layer I just imported.  Once I do the custom layer, is there something else I must do within the game?

Herman Hum

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 28, 2013, 03:08:06 PM
6)  When reviewing your message log, should be able to click on an event and the game take you to the action.  That is very common on games and with so much going on, would make it easier.
There is a 'jump to location' button in some Message Pop-up windows.

9)  Unless I am missing something, in the scenario editor, you can only show one side's units at a time on the map.  If I want to see blue, I toggle blue.  If I want to see Red, I toggle Red.  I did not see an option where I could see all units on the map at the same time.  As a designer, I would think this is important so you can see all the units in relation to each other, but right now it is a toggle-fest.
You can select the "God's-Eye view" in the Editor.

12)  Unless I am missing something, I can't see a way to cancel air operations.  For example, if I start to get aircraft ready for launch, I don't see an option to cancel their launch.  Hopefully just missing it.
It is not possible to cancel a launch order once given.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Toonces

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Grim.Reaper

Thanks for the responses HH...I was unaware of god's eye view so that helps....as for messages, I do see you can do that when it prompts you, but was hoping to do it directly from the message log since the pop ups would interrupt all the time.

Dimitris

12)  Unless I am missing something, I can't see a way to cancel air operations.  For example, if I start to get aircraft ready for launch, I don't see an option to cancel their launch.  Hopefully just missing it.

You're right there is none. We've rectified this in v1.01, currently under testing.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Dimitris on September 28, 2013, 04:26:39 PM

You're right there is none. We've rectified this in v1.01, currently under testing.

Good to hear...I am hoping some of the other changes get consideration and possibly make it in a future update as well.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 28, 2013, 03:34:20 PM
JD or MikeGer,

I attempted to import my own layer, but did not have success.  I downloaded the program and followed all the steps (included the ones the devs posted on the official site) and no luck.  I get to the point of being able to add the layer to the game, but I never since the map/layer I just imported.  Once I do the custom layer, is there something else I must do within the game?
Nothing extra to do. If you have followed the instructions word for word, then your overlay should be in. Did you rename the PNGW file to PGW? And you imported the PNG file - not the PGW file? Also one thing I would say - when I first imported a file I didn't see it either - but the overlay (although big in size) was so small I didn't notice I had imported it in until I had zoomed in significantly...so make sure you have zoomed in far enough that you would see the (very) small overlay...and obviously you must be looking in the right place - and because the overlay is so small, you have to be pretty accurate where you're looking or you might miss it.

I've performed a couple now and both were successes...and that was just following the instructions in the manual (8.3)
Alba gu' brath

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 28, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
JD or MikeGer,

Nothing extra to do. If you have followed the instructions word for word, then your overlay should be in. Did you rename the PNGW file to PGW? And you imported the PNG file - not the PGW file? Also one thing I would say - when I first imported a file I didn't see it either - but the overlay (although big in size) was so small I didn't notice I had imported it in until I had zoomed in significantly...so make sure you have zoomed in far enough that you would see the (very) small overlay...and obviously you must be looking in the right place - and because the overlay is so small, you have to be pretty accurate where you're looking or you might miss it.

I've performed a couple now and both were successes...and that was just following the instructions in the manual (8.3)

Thanks JD, I'll try again.....I did all the renaming and imported the PNG.  It showed as an added item in my customer layer list.....maybe like you said, it is so small I wasn't seeing it at first......let me take a look.

Dimitris

Quote from: undercovergeek on September 28, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
Any comments from the guys on here who beta tested this?

The beta folks don't have release authority. The buck stops with the dev group, in this case me.

So if you have something to say about my work, tell it to me.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on September 28, 2013, 04:57:28 PM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 28, 2013, 04:53:57 PM
JD or MikeGer,

JD, you were correct...just wasn't zooming in enough....thank you!
Thanks JD, I'll try again.....I did all the renaming and imported the PNG.  It showed as an added item in my customer layer list.....maybe like you said, it is so small I wasn't seeing it at first......let me take a look.

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Herman Hum

Quote from: Toonces on September 28, 2013, 04:07:11 PM
You need to change your avatar, Herman!
Just maintaining the tradition of helping all who ask.  :)

Got a Q for the sub-hunter in you: How often do you drop sonobuoys?  In both this game and Harpoon, it seems like zillions of sonobuoys are dropped without much thought to logistics.  Is this a realistic expectation?  Was there some kind of prompt or 'detection level' (hunch) required before a pattern was deployed?
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

republic

Do you guys have no sympathy for me?  You guys keep going on about these amazing games...  Oh the humanity!   :)   I'm going to start having to scheduling my gaming time to get all these in.

If my wallet wasn't suffering from low supply (having been hit with the DCS sale, and some impulse purchases) I would have this game.  I was planning on getting a new Kindle but I'm beginning to think I'll buy this game instead.

How is the outlook on modding?  Could we see WW2 mods that replace all the units?  (or dare I say it....a space mod?)  Can things from one scenario carry over to another to create a sortof war campaign?  If you had a scenario with all units added, could you have an epic realtime war?  Can ships/aircraft repair?  Are there port facilities?

Sorry for so many questions...  :)

Toonces

Before you start searching with an MPA you have to have a datum where to start looking.  You don't just randomly drop buoys in the ocean; too much area to cover.  So you get cueing in some manner- ESM hit, intel, whatever, and use the datum and the time x speed to give you an area to search.  Depending on how big that area is will help determine how many buoys to use. 

You figure a P-3 carries something like 120 buoys, so a reasonable search pattern might be 40 buoys; an 8 x 5 grid, 7 x 6, or something like that oriented where you have the most uncertainty (course or speed).  Your spacing depends on your projected detection range.  For example, if your expected detection range is 2000 yards then you might space your buoys some multiple of that number apart with the expectation that if the sub drives though your pattern he might evade one buoy but sooner or later he'll get within that 2000 yard range and you'll get him.  An 8 buoy line could cover 20+nm of water depending on your predicted range and how far you want to space your buoys/how high you want your probability of detection.

After you get a hit you start dropping more buoys to localize him, and so on.

Keep in mind, at least when I flew, that you can't monitor all of the buoys at the same time.  Dangerous Waters models this stuff pretty well.  If the sub drives by a buoy that you're not monitoring, or is out of radio range, then you won't catch him.  Also, you'll have some bad buoys, and as your buoys start to expire you'll have to re-seed them, and some of your buoys are going to be passive, some active, so you don't want to put all of your buoys into your search pattern. 

Long version of saying that it takes a lot of buoys to do ASW effectively. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs