The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 01, 2013, 02:21:57 AM
It goes to the sector, starts patrolling, detects the other sub and fires off its Torpedo's, but then the torpedo's keep on circling and intercepting the contact until they run out of energy.
They seem to 'go over' the target several times on the map, but never once one does explode. Am I doing something wrong?

I noticed this happen to me too, although after it fired about 4 torps and they just kept circling over the enemy target - but as time went on, one of them took the enemy sub out and the scenario progressed to the next step. It is odd to see fish circle in the water directly around the target. IIRC they launched when the target was still a yellow contact.

I don't remember this happening the first time I run the tutorial. And I loaded that one in editor mode, and subsequently deleted my sub from the scenario and then saved it!!! So I'm currently using the replacement tutorial file Dimitris made available in this thread.

Yskonyn

As far as I know the sub had a solid fix on the target when it fired.

Ah, but indeed the contact was lost aparently. Time ticking towards the 20m even, so I guess that's pretty old. :)
What is odd though, is that my sub is still on patrol duty, but after it engaged the enemy sub without destroying it, my sub just lies in the water, waiting... then after 25 minutes it shoots 4 torps again at the same old contact... :S
Shouldn't it resume a search pattern?
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

MikeGER

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 30, 2013, 09:52:30 PM
Quote from: Baloogan on September 30, 2013, 09:08:21 PM
Quote from: spelk on September 30, 2013, 08:55:48 AM
Baloogan has just put up the videos from his Episode 2 of playing Command.
http://baloogancampaign.com/2013/09/30/command-episode-2/

Thanks so much for helping me get the word out  ;D

Awesome videos Baloogan! Thanks for your efforts...

+1

Baloogan, i had found your videos with a search at youtube, just the other day (before they showed u here) 8)
..."The way its meant to be played"-videos!  :)

That was what i was looking for as a newbie to the unfamiliar Naval stuff  i am more a Faust toting low crawl kind of grognard ;-) daring into dangerous waters...   

(reminds me on the tutorial videos of CO:BftB, where Arjuna -the developers- explained how the game engine is used best and why features are there and how to bring them to bear while he is playing the tutorials... like BfTB, Command is a sim for grogs.
and the true nature of a grog is: one mans loved feature is the other mans worst nightmare and the other way around, that may be the reason for some of the uproar...)

after some time in the sandbox (to kill the curiosity, and doing it wrong) and a glance at your vids i began now with the tutorial, seriously  ... and loving it :)     

Dimitris

Quote from: Yskonyn on October 01, 2013, 02:38:11 AM
As far as I know the sub had a solid fix on the target when it fired.

Ah, but indeed the contact was lost aparently. Time ticking towards the 20m even, so I guess that's pretty old. :)
What is odd though, is that my sub is still on patrol duty, but after it engaged the enemy sub without destroying it, my sub just lies in the water, waiting... then after 25 minutes it shoots 4 torps again at the same old contact... :S
Shouldn't it resume a search pattern?

From the description, I suspect the sub was stalking the contact, hence the low-lay and re-shoot. If the contact has been lost or destroyed the sub would be expected to resume its patrol.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

jomni

Quote from: spelk on October 01, 2013, 02:34:00 AM
Quote from: Yskonyn on October 01, 2013, 02:21:57 AM
It goes to the sector, starts patrolling, detects the other sub and fires off its Torpedo's, but then the torpedo's keep on circling and intercepting the contact until they run out of energy.
They seem to 'go over' the target several times on the map, but never once one does explode. Am I doing something wrong?

I noticed this happen to me too, although after it fired about 4 torps and they just kept circling over the enemy target - but as time went on, one of them took the enemy sub out and the scenario progressed to the next step. It is odd to see fish circle in the water directly around the target. IIRC they launched when the target was still a yellow contact.

I don't remember this happening the first time I run the tutorial. And I loaded that one in editor mode, and subsequently deleted my sub from the scenario and then saved it!!! So I'm currently using the replacement tutorial file Dimitris made available in this thread.

Yeah I lost most of my Torps hunting that sub and unable to sink the 2nd ship because I ran out.  It is indeed attacking on an old contact made 1 hr ago.  Maybe reduce optimism threshold for firing next time.

mikeck

Frankly, I don't think it matters how they ended up with the missles. Point is, I don't think the Phoenix was ever capable of shooting down sea skimming cruise missles
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dimitris

Fair point. I'll check to see if the Iranian AIM-54As in the DB are sea-skimmer capable (they shouldn't be, the -A was singularly optimized for high-altitude intercept of large targets) and if they are, remove that flag. This should make them significantly less capable.

Thanks!
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

emsoy

According to various official sources, the AIM-54A was successfully tested against sea skimmers down to 50ft:

http://vnfawing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1253&sid=4f01c9dccde209a32ed1d33869a2ebb0

I can increase the minimum target altitude of the AIM-54A from 30 to 50ft, but that would still make it capable against Tomahawks at 60ft.
Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

Bismarck

I see some reviews are out. Frankly, I don't see how a good review of such a complex game can be written so quickly.
Jim Cobb

emsoy

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2013, 02:32:14 AM
without accurate modeling of converted HAWKs and substandard AIM-54's with limited numbers and taking into account AGW I dont see how I can purchase this game.  I mean really... everyone knows the global ice sheet reflects thermal radiation that directly impacts the seeker heads on garage built missiles in the Middle East!
Im just at a loss for words due to this massive game killing oversight.
;)

Lol  ;D

There are currently two Iranian F-14A entries in the Command database:

F-14A Tomcat -- Iran (Air Force), 1977
F-14A Tomcat -- Iran (Air Force), 1998

We plan to add another 2-3 versions to take into account the fact that the F-14s in periods only flew with certain types of ordnance (no Sparrows, etc). Just haven't had time to do that yet. Will bump it up on the priority list when you purchase the sim hehe.

The AIM-23B I-HAWK loadout is used on the 1998 version of the Iranian F-14, but some sources suggest that only two (!) aircraft were actually modified and that it really wasn't/isn't in widespread use.

Has anyone seen any recent photos of F-14s carrying I-HAWKs? What about Phoenixes?

Thanks!  8)
Database guru, sensor model developer, system tester and senior scenario designer in the "Command : Modern Air/Naval Operations" project!

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Bismarck on October 01, 2013, 10:18:11 AM
I see some reviews are out. Frankly, I don't see how a good review of such a complex game can be written so quickly.

Which is one HUGE reason we're not rushing ours.  We're more interested in being solid and thorough than being first and mediocre.
We also plan to release the definitive review-to-end-all-reviews of Panthers in the Fog.

someday...
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

LongBlade

Quote from: Bismarck on October 01, 2013, 10:27:21 AM
The voice of a responsible site.

I would hardly call myself a naval war expert. Or responsible.

However, I am planning on digging into this to see what is happening. Currently I have Command Ops: Battles for Greece primed, but I have downloaded Command and plan on firing it up this afternoon. It's a good problem to have: too many wargames. I just need more time.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

mirth

Quote from: emsoy on October 01, 2013, 10:18:48 AM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on October 01, 2013, 02:32:14 AM
without accurate modeling of converted HAWKs and substandard AIM-54's with limited numbers and taking into account AGW I dont see how I can purchase this game.  I mean really... everyone knows the global ice sheet reflects thermal radiation that directly impacts the seeker heads on garage built missiles in the Middle East!
Im just at a loss for words due to this massive game killing oversight.
;)

Lol  ;D

There are currently two Iranian F-14A entries in the Command database:

F-14A Tomcat -- Iran (Air Force), 1977
F-14A Tomcat -- Iran (Air Force), 1998

We plan to add another 2-3 versions to take into account the fact that the F-14s in periods only flew with certain types of ordnance (no Sparrows, etc). Just haven't had time to do that yet. Will bump it up on the priority list when you purchase the sim hehe.

The AIM-23B I-HAWK loadout is used on the 1998 version of the Iranian F-14, but some sources suggest that only two (!) aircraft were actually modified and that it really wasn't/isn't in widespread use.

Has anyone seen any recent photos of F-14s carrying I-HAWKs? What about Phoenixes?

Thanks!  8)

Don't know about current stocks of Phoenixes and I-HAWKs (not sure they ever used HAWKS operationally with the F-14. I know they did some testing). Apparently they have developed a homebrew version  of the Phoenix.

http://theaviationist.com/tag/fakour-90/#.UkrqLJwkvMA

http://www.janes.com/article/10854/iran-tests-fakour-90-air-to-air-missile

Of course, according to the Iranians it's a greatly improved version. :P
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Bismarck

Quote from: LongBlade on October 01, 2013, 10:30:38 AM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 01, 2013, 10:27:21 AM
The voice of a responsible site.

I would hardly call myself a naval war expert. Or responsible.

However, I am planning on digging into this to see what is happening. Currently I have Command Ops: Battles for Greece primed, but I have downloaded Command and plan on firing it up this afternoon. It's a good problem to have: too many wargames. I just need more time.

I said "site", not you.  :P
Jim Cobb