The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeck

Quote from: LongBlade on October 03, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 03, 2013, 04:04:32 PM
No, you assign orders from Unit Orders on the top menu, right-clicking the unit for a drop-down menu or by hot keys.

I'm really lost. I can order aircraft to take off from the airbase using that menu. I thought I saw Balooga using some of the right hand menu for activity, too.

I dunno. I'll go back and watch again.
Everything you need to do can be done by right clicking on the unit and selecting, by ctrl-right clicking on the map for reference points and using the mission editor. The only thing I use that right menu for is accessing the database or setting sensor policy for a formation
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

mikeck

Does anyone know how much damage I have to do to a runway to make it inoperable? On Brass Drum, I opened with a tomahawk strike from my sub on the closest airbase. Targeted the radar and two airstrips. One is on fire and lightly damaged, the other is lightly damaged (enemy SAMs took out lot plus some failed). Just trying to buy some time for my strike craft to get there and to get my CAP in place
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Nefaro

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 03, 2013, 11:45:51 AM

ok great. first strike or bust! the instructions tell me to turn off active radar for my sead patrol so they can approach more stealthily. should this remain passive the whole time or should I make it active once they reach the patrol area?? I had 6 planes with shrikes and 2 sam sites and 1 king radar. they missed horribly. can you even destroy the industrial and missile assembly sites with one pass? I think my bombs destroyed a building or two but not the whole complex. why were the tomcats able to rearm so quickly? is it because they are just air to air and don't need to plan anything?

My experience, playing the first tutorial a few times, is that the Shrikes nearly always miss.  I don't know whether the enemy SAM radars realize they're under ARM attack and shut down to lessen the chance of being hit, but whatever is happening they aren't finding a target.  If you want to have a good chance of taking the SAM radars out, you'll have to manually coax the aircraft into dropping their cluster bombs.  Those are far more effective, but you'll also have to be close and low to drop them. 

I dunno if the issue with the AI not dropping the cluster bombs on it's own has been addressed in an upcoming update, so you'll probably still have to manually order their altitude down lower than the weapon's launch limits to do so, preferably awhile before they reach the target or they will loiter above the SAMs.

mikeck

Shrikes suck. HARMS don't $&@ around...especial the improved models. They can turn off the radar and even move it. Doesn't matter. Of course, that doesn't help you in 1979 I suppose

JudgeDredd

For air assets, particularly for naval air assets, both helicopter and aircraft, I'd like to see, on the left hand side, the platform they belong to.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
I dunno if the issue with the AI not dropping the cluster bombs on it's own has been addressed in an upcoming update, so you'll probably still have to manually order their altitude down lower than the weapon's launch limits to do so, preferably awhile before they reach the target or they will loiter above the SAMs.
That was a pain in the arse - some did after considerable pissing around with them and some didn't - and there didn't seem to be a rhyme or reason for getting them to do so.

However I'm sure I saw mentioned that they were going to remove the CBU's from the aircraft...if that's the case, to me that isn't fixing the problem though, just avoiding it.

But we'll see what they do with it.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 03, 2013, 05:01:19 PM

However I'm sure I saw mentioned that they were going to remove the CBU's from the aircraft...if that's the case, to me that isn't fixing the problem though, just avoiding it.

Woah!  Yeah, I hope they don't remove the CBUs from the SEAD loadout(s).  That would just be covering up the issue.  :o  I'd rather be able to manually order them to drop than not have them at all, especially since most earlier ARMs aren't very effective!

JudgeDredd

I could be wrong - I just want to say that - but I thought I had read that somewhere. If not - I apologise for spreading fear :P and my bad  :-[
Alba gu' brath

CptHowdy

Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 05:04:56 PM

Woah!  Yeah, I hope they don't remove the CBUs from the SEAD loadout(s).  That would just be covering up the issue.  :o  I'd rather be able to manually order them to drop than not have them at all, especially since most earlier ARMs aren't very effective!

the cbu were removed from that loadout. only shrikes now. I guess I could add them back but then my planes would never launch as they would take 6 hours to re-arm and re-plan!

jomni

Quote from: LongBlade on October 03, 2013, 03:19:08 PM
Hi guys. It's the slow kid in class, again.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for their kindness and understanding in my slowness on the uptake. I think I may have discovered one of the reasons. I think I may have a bug on the right hand menu interface. For some reason I can't see the entire right hand menu for my units. Below is a screenshot.

I've downloaded the 439 beta patch and installed it (as should be evident at the top of the screen). Any thoughts?

I also get stuff cut off in that screen, even the menu drop downs.

bostonmyk

Quote from: mikeck on October 03, 2013, 04:30:14 PM
Does anyone know how much damage I have to do to a runway to make it inoperable? On Brass Drum, I opened with a tomahawk strike from my sub on the closest airbase. Targeted the radar and two airstrips. One is on fire and lightly damaged, the other is lightly damaged (enemy SAMs took out lot plus some failed). Just trying to buy some time for my strike craft to get there and to get my CAP in place

Hi Mike

You have to do a lot of damage but certain weapons are more suitable. Try and go for the taxiways or access points as planes need them to do to the runways.

If you look at the back of the manual we wrote a bit on the air base construction but also provided some hints on air base deconstruction.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

republic

I was watching Baloogan's 1967 scenario and I was wondering...if someone had the time to create it would it be feasible for Command to simulate the entire Vietnam war?  Can the engine handle that many units?

bostonmyk

Quote from: republic on October 03, 2013, 07:04:46 PM
I was watching Baloogan's 1967 scenario and I was wondering...if someone had the time to create it would it be feasible for Command to simulate the entire Vietnam war?  Can the engine handle that many units?

The entire war is probably pushing it because of the sheet number of targets but you could get away with a couple week campaign.

We want players to take on challenges like these to see how far they can push it. When they hit the wall its up to us figure out how to overcome it.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Bismarck

Quote from: LongBlade on October 03, 2013, 04:08:03 PM
Quote from: Bismarck on October 03, 2013, 04:04:32 PM
No, you assign orders from Unit Orders on the top menu, right-clicking the unit for a drop-down menu or by hot keys.

I'm really lost. I can order aircraft to take off from the airbase using that menu. I thought I saw Balooga using some of the right hand menu for activity, too.

I dunno. I'll go back and watch again.

Baloogan was handling his ops via the OOB option under GAME.
Jim Cobb

Nefaro

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 03, 2013, 05:52:31 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 05:04:56 PM

the cbu were removed from that loadout. only shrikes now. I guess I could add them back but then my planes would never launch as they would take 6 hours to re-arm and re-plan!

RAWR!!  >:(

The 'fix' just made the situation worse.  :(