The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spelk

Oh wow! Thanks for the info MikeGER, I'm going to try that on my Nexus 7.

Dimitris

Quote from: JudgeDredd on October 04, 2013, 06:35:57 AM
It's times like this I wish I had bought an Android device and not my Kindle  :(

It's also times like this that I feel really good about our decision to go with standard Windows desktop :D
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

LongBlade

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 04, 2013, 05:45:20 AM
we need a Command -wiki sticky somewhere

I should be able to do that. I've received suggestions in private that we create a separate forum/sub-forum for this game given all its activity and questions around it.

If you folks think that's a good idea I'd be happy to see what I can do.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

undercovergeek

Quote from: LongBlade on October 04, 2013, 09:44:00 AM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 04, 2013, 05:45:20 AM
we need a Command -wiki sticky somewhere

I should be able to do that. I've received suggestions in private that we create a separate forum/sub-forum for this game given all its activity and questions around it.

If you folks think that's a good idea I'd be happy to see what I can do.

+1 here - it would be a shame to lose all the hints and tips and vid links in the mass of posts

Nefaro

Quote from: Dimitris on October 04, 2013, 02:52:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
My experience, playing the first tutorial a few times, is that the Shrikes nearly always miss.  I don't know whether the enemy SAM radars realize they're under ARM attack and shut down to lessen the chance of being hit, but whatever is happening they aren't finding a target.  If you want to have a good chance of taking the SAM radars out, you'll have to manually coax the aircraft into dropping their cluster bombs.  Those are far more effective, but you'll also have to be close and low to drop them. 

Okay need to clarify this a bit. Weapons that have airburst warheads, like the Shrike & HARM, will almost always "miss" (the more correct term is "they deliberately detonate at a small distance from their target". We probably need to tweak the message log to say "airburst" instead of "miss"). They almost never hit directly. A miss of a few tens of meters is not important; the emitter as well as any vehicles nearby will be peppered with supersonic red-hot fragments and will almost certainly suffer damage (unless they're armored). At greater miss distances the damage inflicted goes down rapidly.

Another misunderstanding is the idea that you have to physically destroy the radar facility in order to take out the radar. Using an anti-radar missile, and if it airbursts close enough, it is very likely that the radar _sensor_ will be damaged or destroyed (thus achieving the desired effect), but the radar _vehicle or facility_ will still survive. Of course the heavier the warhead and the closer it detonates, the more likely it is that the carrier platform will also be obliterated. But at the end of the day all you care about is not seeing anymore the "pulsing" radar emission over the contact icon. If that happens, you've done the job.

Thanks!

That's cool.  I'm glad you guys have airbursts modelled.  You should definitely look at revising the log output, though.

Does this also mean that such airburst weapons will tend to damage radars and other such vulnerable superstructure equipment on vessels, more than anything else?  Such as when, for example, a Sea Sparrow or some other shipborne SAM is fired at a surface target? 

CptHowdy

Quote from: Nefaro on October 04, 2013, 11:39:05 AM
Quote from: Dimitris on October 04, 2013, 02:52:29 AM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM
My experience, playing the first tutorial a few times, is that the Shrikes nearly always miss.  I don't know whether the enemy SAM radars realize they're under ARM attack and shut down to lessen the chance of being hit, but whatever is happening they aren't finding a target.  If you want to have a good chance of taking the SAM radars out, you'll have to manually coax the aircraft into dropping their cluster bombs.  Those are far more effective, but you'll also have to be close and low to drop them. 

Okay need to clarify this a bit. Weapons that have airburst warheads, like the Shrike & HARM, will almost always "miss" (the more correct term is "they deliberately detonate at a small distance from their target". We probably need to tweak the message log to say "airburst" instead of "miss"). They almost never hit directly. A miss of a few tens of meters is not important; the emitter as well as any vehicles nearby will be peppered with supersonic red-hot fragments and will almost certainly suffer damage (unless they're armored). At greater miss distances the damage inflicted goes down rapidly.

Another misunderstanding is the idea that you have to physically destroy the radar facility in order to take out the radar. Using an anti-radar missile, and if it airbursts close enough, it is very likely that the radar _sensor_ will be damaged or destroyed (thus achieving the desired effect), but the radar _vehicle or facility_ will still survive. Of course the heavier the warhead and the closer it detonates, the more likely it is that the carrier platform will also be obliterated. But at the end of the day all you care about is not seeing anymore the "pulsing" radar emission over the contact icon. If that happens, you've done the job.

Thanks!

That's cool.  I'm glad you guys have airbursts modelled.  You should definitely look at revising the log output, though.

Does this also mean that such airburst weapons will tend to damage radars and other such vulnerable superstructure equipment on vessels, more than anything else?  Such as when, for example, a Sea Sparrow or some other shipborne SAM is fired at a surface target?

if you are going to adjust whether it says hit or miss can you also adjust when it tells me I missed by so many meters even though I have use feet checked off. also the tutorial still states that my shrike aircraft are carrying iron bombs as well. could be confusing for anyone that might read it. so anyone else can confirm that the shrikes, walleyes and gbu-10 e/b are not launching from correct altitude?

Dimitris

Quote from: Nefaro on October 04, 2013, 11:39:05 AM

Yes.

Dimitris

Quote from: CptHowdy on October 04, 2013, 11:52:35 AM
so anyone else can confirm that the shrikes, walleyes and gbu-10 e/b are not launching from correct altitude?

What is the "correct altitude" ?

Nefaro

Quote from: Dimitris on October 04, 2013, 12:42:48 PM
Quote from: CptHowdy on October 04, 2013, 11:52:35 AM
so anyone else can confirm that the shrikes, walleyes and gbu-10 e/b are not launching from correct altitude?

What is the "correct altitude" ?

Within the maximum & minimum listed altitudes for weapon launch.

I believe CptHowdy reported that they were launching above the max launch altitude, earlier in the thread.

Dimitris

Is there any save file for this?

Without save files, it is extremely difficult for us to recreate a reported problem (unless it is brain-dead trivial).

CptHowdy

Quote from: Dimitris on October 04, 2013, 01:34:29 PM

Without save files, it is extremely difficult for us to recreate a reported problem (unless it is brain-dead trivial).

same problem that was reported for the CBU's and those got removed from the loadout. weapon page lists an altitude launch window. the three weapons I mentioned all have a window between 61-19812 feet. the planes are launching them 40k feet. where should I post or send a save file? thanks.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Dimitris on October 04, 2013, 01:34:29 PM

sent two save files to the address you posted earlier in this thread. hope you can make heads or tails out of it! thanks.

Dimitris

Thanks! Please give me some time to go over them (and all the other items on my plate).

mikeck

I've been playing this for awile now. I think it's a great game; very detailed and well done. I have only one real complaint. Scenarios. I can't believe there are no major Soviet v NATO fleet engagements (1985-1989) a la red storm rising. Also no big China v US over Taiwan scenarios. There is one minor scenario but with only a sub, destroyer and a few land based aircraft for the US side, it's small.

This game is begging for Soviet v NATO fleet v fleet scenarios or major convoy actions. Instead all I get is a 1979 scenario, Norwegian patrol boats or 2 sub scenarios.

I guess I expected a vibrant mod community point out these scenarios but so far...not one outside of the community pack. I experimented with the editor but as my game Time is limited, I hate to use it trying to build scenarios. I dunno, I just don't get why the two biggest hypothetical scenarios (US v China in major fleet action)(NATO v Soviet north fleet) or anything similar aren't here. Even one Cold War scenario involving a US carrier battle group. I have no interest in playing Columbia as they attack Venezuela...or Ajerbaijan as they go toe to toe with Russia.

I'm sure over time someone will make some, I'm just surprised.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Baloogan

Quote from: spelk on October 04, 2013, 05:33:25 AM
Just started a write up of the Air Tutorial (which seems popular with folks) - I try to explain the process of creating form up points, and inactive empty missions, so you can schedule the air wing waves onto the target..

Part 1
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83502

Part 2
http://sugarfreegamer.com/?p=83580

Great write up spelk!