The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Quote from: jomni on October 05, 2013, 07:06:47 AM
Editor question.  How to change a Ship Name if I already added them on the map?

Edit:  Never mind.  The answer is the r key.

Thanks. I was looking for this the other night. I ended up just deleting an air base and recreating it with the right name.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Baloogan

Quote from: Bismarck on October 05, 2013, 01:04:44 PM
As interesting as Boologan's sandbox videos are, he goes too fast for me.  The manual is a bet dense on creating scenarios.  Could somebody direct me to a simple step-by-step tutorial on scenario creation? Thanks.

Sorry about that! I go fast because I value my viewers' time.

I'll do a slow video about scenario creation offline soon.

I'm going to be streaming live in exactly 2 hours! Any questions you might have please tune in at http://twitch.tv/baloogancampaign or at http://baloogancampaign.com

I'm going to be playing the ASuW tutorial, followed by an announcement of a multiplayer plugin (turn based) followed by me either continuing Operation Lightning Strike or any suggestions/questions/requests from the attached chat room!

spelk

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on October 05, 2013, 05:56:16 AM
Spelk, really nice job with this tutorial and taking the time to explain your thought process.....was enjoyable and seemed like valuable advice....thanks for creating.

Thanks for the kind words, I can't take all the credit for the FORMUP methodology, I think I read about it on one of the community forums - where someone suggested using a single reference point support mission to get your birds up in the air. I didn't really feel I had any kind of control until I started using empty inactive missions to pre-arrange what I wanted to do, and then I got to schedule them properly myself.  By dropping units into the appropriate missions.

I think most folks will want a personal handle on the important bits to make sure they go right. But if you can plan out your big tactical brush strokes and rely on the AI to do a decent enough job, you can then focus down on the minutiae at the critical points. Its the micro-management I'm completely hopeless at :)

spelk

Quote from: MikeGER on October 05, 2013, 09:27:01 AM
Quote from: jomni on October 05, 2013, 06:08:40 AM
Why didn't I think of that?  That FORM UP mission is genius.  Because if I let my planes just loiter without any command, they will get picked up easily by the enemy.

... also liked that Form up pooling, maybe letting them circle at min altitude ...if the enemy don't have flying long range radar active and a own OECM plane circling high above the flock can mask them too

You know, I often thought when creating these pre-made empty inactive missions about how it would be nice to set the travel window, with options (like you have with the ROE and the EMCON) to set max and min altitudes, perhaps speeds etc. Stick in the ranges you want, perhaps use sliders for generalisations and then the Mission will follow what you want. I suppose you could have just Low altitude, Medium and High Altitude. That sort of thing. Would just let you refine the mission planner a bit more. You get a fine level of control with other behaviours and emissions, why not basic variables like altitude and speed?

Bismarck

Quote from: Baloogan on October 05, 2013, 05:02:39 PM
As interesting as Boologan's sandbox videos are, he goes too fast for me.  The manual is a bet dense on creating scenarios.  Could somebody direct me to a simple step-by-step tutorial on scenario creation? Thanks.

I'm going to be streaming live in exactly 2 hours! Any questions you might have please tune in at http://twitch.tv/baloogancampaign or at http://baloogancampaign.com

I'm going to be playing the ASuW tutorial, followed by an announcement of a multiplayer plugin (turn based) followed by me either continuing Operation Lightning Strike or any suggestions/questions/requests from the attached chat room!

I need you to walk through the scenario creation basics - mistakes, no hesitations, just 1-2-3.
Jim Cobb

undercovergeek

well, im downloaded and ready to go - feel like im stood at the bottom of a massive mountain - im going to start with Spelk and see how we get on

Baloogan

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 05, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
well, im downloaded and ready to go - feel like im stood at the bottom of a massive mountain - im going to start with Spelk and see how we get on

Spelk's review is the best one on the internet! Really well written!

Baloogan

Quote from: Bismarck on October 05, 2013, 05:16:17 PM

I need you to walk through the scenario creation basics - mistakes, no hesitations, just 1-2-3.

Will do! Currently the plan is to play the ASuW tutorial; followed by a quick explanation of the multiplayer plugin I've been working on, and how I'll need some volenteers to try it out and help me fix the bugs. Then I'll show a simple opposed amphibious landing sandbox!

Edit: Stream is up at http://twitch.tv/baloogancampaign

undercovergeek

Quote from: Baloogan on October 05, 2013, 05:53:07 PM
Quote from: undercovergeek on October 05, 2013, 05:23:10 PM

Spelk's review is the best one on the internet! Really well written!

and you're after Spelk on my list - both of you are easily the most comprehensive, and less confusing of all the hints and tips and where to go for info sites

Bismarck

Please address setting up an airbase and putting aircraft at it.
Jim Cobb

jomni

Testing my work-in-progress scenario.

Singapore vs. Malaysia (Air force only).  Malaysian Air Force is decimated but inflicted a heavy toll on Singapore which I did not expect.  With this result, I wonder how they will fare against a Malaysian + Indonesian coalition.
Next on the To Do list: 
1) Set Up Malaysian Air Defense. I easily shut down one of their air bases because I forgot to set up the defense.
2) Tweak Malaysian missions.  The Malaysian F-18's with Harpoons are useless because I mix them up with Land Attack missions.  They flew into the Singapore city and not finding the ships.   I have to give them specific anti-ship zone.
2) Set Up Malaysian Navy.
3) Test. Then setup Indonesia.  With Indonesia in the picture, it would really be a tough one for Singapore given their performance against Malaysia.
4) Scoring.  I need some detailed tutorial on this.

SIDE: Singapore
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
12x F-5S Tiger II
12x F-16D Blk 52+ Falcon
3x F-15SG Eagle
4x RB 97 I-HAWK
2x Vehicle (PE-541/M HPI)
2x Vehicle (Giraffe AMB 3D)
1x F-16C Blk 52 Falcon
1x Rapier Mk2 Fire Unit B1X
4x Gulfstream G550 AEW

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
2x 20mm M39 Burst [40 rnds]
23x Python 4
59x AIM-120C-5 AMRAAM P3I.2
27x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
37x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
14x 20mm/85 M61A1 Vulcan Burst [100 rnds]
12x AIM-9P Sidewinder
8x AIM-9X Sidewinder
24x Mk82 500lb LDGP
79x RB 97 I-HAWK [MIM-23G]
16x GBU-12D/B Paveway II LGB [Mk82]
2x Rapier Mk2
3x RB 70 Rayrider Mk1
2x Aster 15 PAAMS [GWS.45 Sea Viper]

SIDE: Malaysia and Indonesia
===========================================================

LOSSES:
-------------------------------
8x MiG-29N Fulcrum A
12x Hawk 208
17x Su-30MKM Flanker C
8x F/A-18D Hornet
13x F-5E Tiger II
1x Super King Air 200T
1x Single-Unit Airfield (1x 3201-4000m Runway)

EXPENDITURES:
------------------
15x AA-11 Archer [R-73]
79x AA-12 Adder A [R-77, RVV-AE]
5x 30mm Gsh-30-1 Burst [30 rnds]
30x Generic Chaff Salvo [5x Cartridges]
3x 30mm ADEN Mk4 Burst [30 rnds]
43x Generic Chaff Salvo [4x Cartridges]
11x Generic Flare Salvo [3x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
9x Generic Flare Salvo [4x Cartridges, Single Spectral]
12x AIM-7M Sparrow III
1x AIM-9L Sidewinder
10x AIM-9P Sidewinder
15x AA-11 Archer [R-73M1]
1x AS-14 Kedge [Kh-29T]
2x AGM-65B Maverick EO

Quesiton:  The strike on against the Malaysian airbase was a success, destroying the runway.  But they got pounced by CAP on the way home. This resulted in a number of F-16 losses. They did not fight back despite having some spare missiles.  I tried manually assigning an attack but the dialog box says 'target not detected'.  Why is that?  They are clearly 'red' and identified. 

mikeck

You mentioned somewhere that you had created a "red storm rising" Iceland scenario to test. Did I misunderstand? If you did, can you post it?
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bismarck

Latest build:

Download from here: http://www.warfaresims.com/RC/UpdatePack_B440.zip

Unzip to the main Command folder. Answer "yes" to any overwrite requests.

This pack is cumulative; it includes both previous v1.01 RCs. The release notes below cover only items that have changed since RC2. For the full release notes see RC1 (Build 438) and RC2 (Build 439).

If nothing show-stopping pops up, this will probably constitute the final v1.01 codebase. So please everyone give this a try. We took great pains to address the currently most urgent issues (e.g. air-dropped weapon envelope problems) as well as provide features and fixes for players who have asked them.

RC3 Release notes

Fixed:
-------
- 0005675: Repetative BDA Reports
- 0005734: Assorted tutorials issues
- 0005556: [427] SEAD patrol kirks
- 0005121: It should not be possible to arm/take off aircraft with maintenance/unavailable loadouts
- 0005698: Kilter misses by stupid amount
- 0005730: [438] Weird Shrike Behavior
- 0005069: Shrike ARM misses by several kilometers
- 0005699: Maria and Victoria Again
- 0005672: Mixed Shrike and CBU Issue
- 0005750: A-7 CBU-59 an Shrike Loadout a bad match
- 0005735: Excessive dive rates for subs & aircraft
- 0004279: IRIAF F-14 update
- 0005560: DB3k Update: Combat Aircraft Mag Article on Iranian F-14's

* Aircraft now drop their ordnance much more reliably without manual control (we'd love to boast "100% reliably" but that's just an invitation for an edge case to pop up and throw egg on our face).

* Helmet-mounted sights (HMS) are now taken into account when deciding how much off-boresight an aircraft can shoot an AAM.

* Aircraft & submarines have more realistic dive rates.

* Includes the v395 versions of DB3000 and CWDB. Some of the changes include:
- CH-47F Chinook -- Australia (Army), 2015, 7x
- LHD 01 Canberra [Juan Carlos Class] -- Australia (Navy), 2017, 4x LCM-1E
- LCM-1E -- Australia (Navy), 2015, 12x
- LCM-8 -- Australia (Navy), 1967, 11x
- L 100 Choules [Bay Class] -- Australia (Navy), 2013, Ex-Largs Bay, 1x LCM-8, 2x LCVP, No LCM-1E
- Combined ARM/CBU loadouts have new mission profiles, using Hi-Lo-Hi instead of Hi-Med-Hi.
- SUU-23 gun pods in A/G loadouts on F-4C/D
- SUU-23 loadouts on RAF Phantoms

Follow us on Facebook
Jim Cobb

Mr. Bigglesworth

With more than 50 pages in this thread we need a summary or review of this game! Is it stable? Does it improve on Harpoon ultimate edition? Does it have all the old scenarios from Harpoon?

At over $80 the publisher is implying this is a very premium game that works. Does it live up to that?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

JudgeDredd

Can I ask - is the "fix" for this...

Mixed Shrike and CBU Issue

...corrected by removing the CBU's? If so - I'm sorry - but that does not constitute a fix. The problem was the SEAD platforms were not reducing their altitude enough to drop their CBU's - therefore the fix should be to correct that - NOT remove the CBU's. I was quite happy to have my SEAD platforms carry some CBU's (or even Mk82/84s if possible)...so they can launch their Shrikes and follow up with some damage dealers.

If - on the other hand - you have fixed it by getting them to drop low, then that's cool  8)

And whilst I'm posting - what's the difference between DB3000 and CWDB? It's quite confusing and I don't understand why there are two locations. This has particularly thrown me with getting images to be displayed in the DB Viewer.

Thanks
Alba gu' brath