The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

lol - well that's your prerogative. But the thread is full of all kinds of info - I was just pointing that out.

What would likely make much more sense is to start a dedicated tactics thread and keeping it on topic. This has no specific topic to keep on
Alba gu' brath

Bismarck

Jim Cobb

mikeck

Quote from: Rekim on November 07, 2013, 05:06:36 PM
I don't get the complaints about missing background music. I almost always have some Internet radio stream going while I play. Even if there was some canned music on the install CD, I fail to see how that would improve my enjoyment.

I find Chill-out music works perfectly with Command: http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/Chillout

I would enjoy the addition of more sounds for in game events though. In a perfect world they would be highly configurable like the system sounds are in the Windows OS.

Don't mean music. I mean "sounds of the CiC"...radio chatter and such. So I feel like I'm in the CiC of a ship. A perfect example is Flashpoint campaigns. There is all sorts of background noise; everything from ambient machinegun fire to tank track noises and distant artillery explosions. Simple

The more I play this the more I think they tried to make it too big. It's a huge game but then little things are missing. For example, issuing orders at waypoints, limiting munition expenditures, etc
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Bison

jomni

Quote from: Bison on November 07, 2013, 09:13:24 PM
Isn't sound and aspect of gameplay?

I believe it should be. The game shipped with sounds of guns, explosions, jets. But it does not suit a game like this. Should be command center sounds. Good thing we have this sea hag mod now.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: mikeck on November 07, 2013, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Rekim on November 07, 2013, 05:06:36 PM
I don't get the complaints about missing background music. I almost always have some Internet radio stream going while I play. Even if there was some canned music on the install CD, I fail to see how that would improve my enjoyment.

I find Chill-out music works perfectly with Command: http://www.shoutcast.com/radio/Chillout

I would enjoy the addition of more sounds for in game events though. In a perfect world they would be highly configurable like the system sounds are in the Windows OS.

Don't mean music. I mean "sounds of the CiC"...radio chatter and such. So I feel like I'm in the CiC of a ship. A perfect example is Flashpoint campaigns. There is all sorts of background noise; everything from ambient machinegun fire to tank track noises and distant artillery explosions. Simple

The more I play this the more I think they tried to make it too big. It's a huge game but then little things are missing. For example, issuing orders at waypoints, limiting munition expenditures, etc
Which is why the icon sits there waiting, begging for me to fire it up. IT needs ALOT of little final things. Sounds, better layout of information, less digging by the user, interface to be less annoying (resizing windows all the time).

Unfortunately - and I fully understand I might be missing out on a great game - but the interface issues and (as you say mikeck) the little things just make a mental block for me.
Alba gu' brath

Herman Hum

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 08, 2013, 02:37:40 AM
Which is why the icon sits there waiting, begging for me to fire it up. IT needs ALOT of little final things. Sounds, better layout of information, less digging by the user, interface to be less annoying (resizing windows all the time).
Exactly right.  The game is way too much of a chore to play than a pleasure (especially when fighting against the UI instead of the AI.)
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Baloogan

I've created a PBEM multiplayer plugin for Command I call Joint Command; its still in a closed beta stage but I wouldn't mind a few more beta testers to find bugs and problems before a general release.

Also there will be no Baloogan Campaign show tomorrow, I'll be spending the weekend with family.

Dimitris

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 08, 2013, 02:37:40 AM

Sounds: We've already said that we're going to add more sound hooks and also background music as option.

Better layout of information: Can you please list precisely which bits of information you need better presented? The more the better.

Less Digging: This is the flip-side of the above. Less digging means more info being thrown to you up-front. Less info thrown at you up-front means more drilling. Where lies the balance for you?

Resizing windows all the time: We'll get this sorted out. Interestingly, while this seems to be a very big issue for a (very) vocal minority, it hasn't gathered that many votes on our "features" running poll.

Unfortunately - and I fully understand I might be missing out on a great game - but the interface issues and (as you say mikeck) the little things just make a mental block for me.
We want to help you, and everyone else having issues with the game, overcome them and get the best out of it. But this includes helping us understand your most pressing concerns so that we can prioritize. You can do it even now. Come over to the Matrix forums and vote on our running polls. Help us help you.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Jgreen

Quote from: Dimitris on November 08, 2013, 10:35:12 AM

We want to help you, and everyone else having issues with the game, overcome them and get the best out of it. But this includes helping us understand your most pressing concerns so that we can prioritize. You can do it even now. Come over to the Matrix forums and vote on our running polls. Help us help you.

It seems that you have stopped putting out updates. When is the next update?

Thanks

JudgeDredd

I totally understand you're still working on the game.

Just a couple of things though...
1. I have already given my feedback in this thread - and you already acknowledged them. To be brutally honest, I don't really want to go through playing the game again to rediscover what I found before and report it again. The issues I found affected my gaming experience enough that I dropped this until things had changed. I didn't demand anything changed. I made requests - and there were quite a few - when I bought the game.

2. I get why you are giving the "interestingly" bit - but I only gave you my opinions on the little things I noticed immediately playing the game. I'm not saying it's everyone's number one priority. Alot of people are going to be hardcore into this game and spot various DEEP things that I never got to...and one of the reasons for me never getting to them was the interface was annoying me to the point I lacked the enthusiasm to play.

Something I recall re the interface was groups. Having to split the group up into individual components before being fed REALLY IMPORTANT information - like fuel, weapons, I think electronics employed (I don't know the fancy words) - specifically re groups of aircraft.

And one thing that did bug me was the "fix" for the CBU's in the tutorial mission...i:e removing them! If you don't mind, I'm not going to call that a fix. The aircraft were fitted with anti-radar (can't remember specifically) and CBU...so you send the aircraft up, fire off your anti radar missiles and then run in to drop the CBU's and all they did was loiter around the area within firing range of the hell around them. There was something broken there and it was "fixed" by removing the CBU's.

If I have that wrong, then could you explain exactly what the nature of the problem was? AFAIK there was no real reason for those platforms to carry anti radiation (radar?) missiles and CBU's.

I know you are wanting to help/going to help but me listing my opinions over at Matrix will do NOTHING but stir up the fanbois. I don't take kindly to "But you can do this...it's no big deal" when in actual fact it's a dead block mentally for me - and that's the kind of responses my feedback would get. Alot of what I pointed out is not hardcore enough to warrant immediate attention - they were interface issues. Yep - they've stopped me playing, but there are plenty of other people with other far more difficult and required changes.

Besides - as I've already said, I've listed them here and they were acknowledged. If they were not "added to the list", that's hardly my fault.

As for the Matrix forums - no thank you.

I'm waiting for the game to be what I expected on release.
Alba gu' brath

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on November 06, 2013, 11:25:05 PM
Seems like a lot of work for some background noise no?

I'm just glad someone did something to add more sound to the game.  I hope the guy(s) continues to improve the thing.

Herman Hum

Quote from: JudgeDredd on November 08, 2013, 11:25:36 AM
And one thing that did bug me was the "fix" for the CBU's in the tutorial mission...i:e removing them! If you don't mind, I'm not going to call that a fix. The aircraft were fitted with anti-radar (can't remember specifically) and CBU...so you send the aircraft up, fire off your anti radar missiles and then run in to drop the CBU's and all they did was loiter around the area within firing range of the hell around them. There was something broken there and it was "fixed" by removing the CBU's.
I loved that 'solution', too.  I guess they could simply delete the Tomcats to eliminate this problem, as well.   :)
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Dimitris

@JD:

I don't think I asked you to play the game and record your grievances. What I am continuously asking is, since you obviously have your list of annoyances/wishes/etc. fresh in memory, to re-iterate them and list their order of priority so that I won't have to go through 63 pages of posts looking for them. If what I am asking is unbearably difficult then I do apologize.

On your other points.

* Info about units on groups. Switch to unit-view (9 on keypad - IIRC your requested that this work with and without NumLock and we made it work), select the unit of interest, get every data down to the last bolt.

* The CBU thing. We followed the standard process of every software/IT department in the world when responding to a crisis:
1) Apply a temporary fix to remove the manifestation of the problem ASAP. In this case this meant swapping the CBU+ARM loadouts with ARM-only loadouts. Ideal? No. The quickest way to eliminate the symptom while investigating the root cause? Yes.
2) Investigate the issue. In this case a complex & subtle AI flaw.
3) Permanently resolve the root cause and circulate the solution. The permanent fix for this problem (addressing both the release altitude of CBUs and the sometimes excessive miss distance of ARMs) was included on the first official update (v1.01) which was released _barely two weeks_ after v1.00 was released (and indeed was made available to impatient players even sooner than that, through unofficial public releases in the forum). If that's not fast enough for you then we're sorry.

I know posting at Matrix is a sore spot for you and many other guys here, so I was not asking you to write a thesis there. A single vote action on our running polls would have done the job, plus maybe a single post "Here's what I'd most like to see added/fixed:, 1, 2, 3.". I'm fairly certain that unless your post had a troll tone nobody would've bitten your head off.

Now if you prefer sitting here and bringing up (a)issues long resolved and/or (b)things that we're aware of and are in the queue, that's of course your prerogative but you're not much helping us understand your needs & priorities better. The guys who engage us constructively, do. Unless of course that's not your intention, in which case my time on this matter may be wasted.

And yes, you are missing out on the best modern air/nav wargame out there bar none. Which is a shame, particularly considering that the vast majority of our customers are having the time of their life with it.

@herman hum:
Thanks for pointing this! This problem has been fixed in Build 458 and the fix will be included on the next public build, to be released probably very soon.

Dimitris