The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

few things beat a thick, well written manual.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Baloogan

Well to adequately do this game justice you would need a HUGE 1000+ page manual : )

I'd recommend Wayne Hughes' Fleet Tactics and Coastal Combat
and 2nd ed. Milan Vego's Soviet Naval Tactics
and ADM Sandy Woodward's One Hundred Days: The Memoirs of the Falkland Battle Group Commander
and Modern Naval Combat 1987 by D.M.O.and C Miller (Salamander book)
and SeaPower rev. 2013 by Geoffrey Till
Oh and The Naval Institute Guide to World Naval Weapon Systems 5th Edition 2005 Friedmaan
Also Inside the Danger Zone US Military in the Persian Gulf 1987-1988 Harold Lee Wise

I wish I could say I've read them all ... but I'm on my way :D

Kushan

My problem with matrix manuals is that there too small. I understand they want to keep the cost down but I always feel like I can never fully open one of their manuals without ripping the binding.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

Baloogan

Hi everyone! For my next stream I'm going to stream much earlier! Specifically 11:00 AM PST on Saturday! Please refer to the table urled here for the time in your time zone!

I'll be playing Canary's Cage! A scenario set in 2005 where some terrorists have taken control of the Moroccan government and they took some spanish islands! We gotta get the islands back for Spain! We will be encountering and destroying surface, subsurface and air contacts!

Also I have a special surprise which will be revealed during the stream; plus I will be discussing additional plans for a Command MBX-style campaign!

JudgeDredd

Right Dimitris

This is my list of things I would like to see addressed. They are things I've noticed. They are minor interface issues and there are likely other things that are more important - but these are things I noticed in my own game.

• Give focus back to map display when closing a popup
    • Limit Contact Report to platforms that are in the date range of the scenario
    • When you select non group mode (num 9) the fuel displays for the selected unit. When you press Group mode again (num 9) the fuel indicator stays for the selected unit even though you're back in group mode
    • The Unit Fuel Remaining bar should show BINGO fuel...and not just generic...it know where it's platform is and where it is...so it should tell you when you hit bingo fuel at that point...it would
      down to you to make sure your ship is in the correct position. In fact a BINGO + 10 mile (or something) indicator would be handy
    • Remaining weapons should be displayed below fuel when looking at a platform
    • When in Group Mode - overall information on weapons available should be available (at least from an air group perspective - ship groups may be too many to display)
    • The details on the left seem over-bearing (even in their own window). I don't want to see the base-Ph, adjustment for distance etc. That text is great for debugging - but all I need to see is "Sea Harrier Gun attacking *enemy platform here* and missed/hit". Some people may like the info - but imo, bearing in mind I have ZERO control over the combat, I'm happy with it just to tell me the action being carried out and the results
    • Remove requirement for NUMLOCK to be off before breaking down a group
    • When viewing air assets in the air, display their home plate
    • When you view the Message Log in a separate window and minimise it, I can't see anyway to get it back. I can see it in my Task Bar as a separate window - but it won't display
    • When using Browse Scenario Platforms it displays British platforms even though when the window opens, the SIDE at the top shows Argentine in the drop down list (in my Falklands Scenario)
    • When you press NUMKEY 9 to view individual units in a group, have one of the platforms already selected
    • An option to turn off all rings except for the selected group (or unit if in unit mode)
    • When checking Throttle & Altitude for aircraft and then right clicking a submarine and selecting Throttle & Altitude, the display doesn't change fully (MILITARY is still being shown as a speed unit for a submarine!) This only seems to happen when moving from an air unit to a seaborne unit - going the other way, the display does change

Other people may disagree on some things and that's fine. But these things impact my enjoyment - and that's what I'm reporting on.

I haven't really delved into the mechanics all that much - I leave that to your more hard core players. I need to like to play before I start seeing whether there's a broken missile or other mechanic.

These are using your latest build 469.
Alba gu' brath

JudgeDredd

I got this error

When I got it, I had literally just heard a noise like a helicopter taking off and had just right clicked (at the same time as hearing the noise) on a ship and was about to select Throttle & Altitude...

Cancelling brought up a message asking if I was sure I wanted to quite. I cancelled that message to stay in the game but the error kept appearing...in the end the only way was to exit the game
Alba gu' brath

Baloogan

Stream is live right now! Early stream today!

I'll be playing a community submitted scenario called Canary's Cage! Basically terrorists take North Africa and only Spain stands between terrorists and their goals!

Please join us at http://baloogancampaign.com !

Special guest Dimitris of Warfare Sims aka Sunburn will be joining us on the chat!

MikeGER

that was a cool event and an impressive knowledgeable crowd 8)
(i lasted maybe until 0050 Alpha... will have to see the end at YT .... i doubt the scenario got finished so, it was almost 1:1 time;) ) 

and cause of Saturday eve, i cloned the video-output to the beamer to watch in the man-cave from a comfy chair instead infront of the PC... Twitch-Chat was plagued by overload, but the solution to switch to that other service on the fly worked well! .... How is it called again  'jabbr.net' ?  I have to sign me up for the next event and use my tablet to chat wireless from the cave then as the back channel  ....was to lazy to set i all up while the show was already in full swing)

I like the new European (prime)time ....even so it may interfere with RL on some occasions, but there is always the YT upload later. 

Baloogan

Quote from: MikeGER on December 08, 2013, 04:53:18 AM
and cause of Saturday eve, i cloned the video-output to the beamer to watch in the man-cave from a comfy chair instead infront of the PC... Twitch-Chat was plagued by overload, but the solution to switch to that other service on the fly worked well! .... How is it called again  'jabbr.net' ?  I have to sign me up for the next event and use my tablet to chat wireless from the cave then as the back channel  ....was to lazy to set i all up while the show was already in full swing)

I like the new European (prime)time ....even so it may interfere with RL on some occasions, but there is always the YT upload later.

I'm glad that https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan worked out  ;D I certainly prefer it to the twitch chat! It would have been disastrous to have 3 of the devs on but them unable to chat!

Baloogan

Geoscape

Hey all! Just wanted to make a formal announcement of my next plugin: "Geoscape"!

Geoscape is a multiplayer dynamic campaign for Command.  Geoscape will take commands from players and determine when combat needs to be resolved. It then generates Joint Command matches for each theater and then Joint Command in turn generates Command scenarios!

Geoscape is about persistence, units will exist before multiplayer matches and will exist (potentially damaged!) after multiplayer matches. Logistics will also be tracked, weapons will need to be shipped or flown around.

If you would like to help beta test Geoscape please sign up by chatting with us here: https://jabbr.net/#/rooms/baloogan or emailing me at baloogan@baloogan.com !

undercovergeek

if i knew more about the game id love to - im still learning from your vids im afraid

undercovergeek

spot of help if anyone can - if i click on an individual unit i can see its weapons loadout, even a member of a group thats split off to RTB but i cannot find anyway to check the weapons loudout of an intact group as its flying toward its target

Dimitris

This is not possible ATM, and it looks like it's one of the hottest requests recently so it has a good chance of being resolved in the near future.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

undercovergeek

ah cool - as long as its not me!!!

second question if i may and youre still circling -

going thru the air tutorial, and following Baloogans video i have 4 Corsairs heading into bomb a sam site, i have controll/F1-ed the 2 sams to allocate 2 planes to each target and selected the wall-eyes to hit the 2 sites - the corsairs launch the wall eyes but then carry on closing on the target until theyre destroyed by the sams

my only thought is i selected the walleyes but may have left the cannons also selected and thats why theyre still closing

Dimitris

That's possible. Another possibility is that the crew AI also considered using the guns as appropriate for the given loadout & mission. Any chance you can post a save for investigation?

This BTW is one of the thorniest issues WRT aircraft gun employment. For every player who wants his aircraft to keep pummeling the bad guys and return home only empty ("why have the gun if it's not gonna use it?"), you'll find another who accepts nothing but "one pass, haul a$$". And trying to satisfy everyone is, as you well know, the easiest way to fail.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command