The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on January 28, 2014, 10:34:21 PM
Ok, so if I select the Nimitz battle group and import it, it will appear at the Norfolk naval air station. Do i have to have placed the Norfolk naval base on the map to begin with?

Yea, the Nimitz will drop in close to Norfolk. No you don't need to have the actual facility on the map. It was just a convenient way of sorting the strike groups. At one point the scenario file I use had the groups all spread throughout the Atlantic and it was getting a bit confusing. An import file is just group of units that have been saved out as one file. You could (its probably already there) build a Norfolk NAS import, down to each individual runway, runway access point, pier, etc.
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

jomni

Thanks for the heads up about ammo trucks. Then focusing on taking out the ammo supply is a neat tactic.

mikeck

"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Baloogan

This week's episode will focus on submarine combat! We shall be destroying hostile 'boomer' subs, other attack subs, setting up attacks on surface action groups and destroying entire soviet air regiments all from the safety of periscope depth!

How can a submarine destroy aircraft? We will execute a time on target attack to destroy rearming soviet air regiments while they sit on the tarmac! You might remember this scene from Red Storm Rising, where a daring attack on an airbase from submarines results in the crippling of the air wing of the northern soviet fleet!

Please join us on Saturday! At 11:00 AM PST.

Baloogan

Stream is up live at http://baloogancampaign.com !
Going to take a in depth (hah) look at modern submarine warfare!
Plus I'll be taking a look at my online database viewer!
Please join us, stream is live now!

mikeck

Quote from: Kushan on January 28, 2014, 11:00:32 PM
Ok, so if I select the Nimitz battle group and import it, it will appear at the Norfolk naval air station. Do i have to have placed the Norfolk naval base on the map to begin with?

Yea, the Nimitz will drop in close to Norfolk. No you don't need to have the actual facility on the map. It was just a convenient way of sorting the strike groups. At one point the scenario file I use had the groups all spread throughout the Atlantic and it was getting a bit confusing. An import file is just group of units that have been saved out as one file. You could (its probably already there) build a Norfolk NAS import, down to each individual runway, runway access point, pier, etc.

Ok, I got Nimitz to appear ( outside of Seattle) now how-using the editor) do I "move it" to where I want it? Do I have to start the game and plot a cores with time accel? Had to be an easier way??
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Kushan

Quote from: mikeck on February 03, 2014, 08:52:33 PM
Quote from: Kushan on January 28, 2014, 11:00:32 PM

Ok, I got Nimitz to appear ( outside of Seattle) now how-using the editor) do I "move it" to where I want it? Do I have to start the game and plot a cores with time accel? Had to be an easier way??

Select it, then press "m" then click where you want it to move to. If you just want to move an individual unit (adjust a group formation ,etc.), you can switch between group and unit view modes with the numpad 9 key.

Baloogan has a complete list of all the shortcut keys

http://baloogancampaign.com/command-documentation/command-keyboard-shortcuts/
PanzersEast: Have to think to myself.... will I play the first one by the Winter Sale?  Probably not, then I should remove Dragonfall
PanzersEast: but that is thinking too logically.... and Steam Sales are about ignoring Logic

---
Twitch Channel
YouTube Channel
Twitter - @KushanGaming
Discord Chat
Command Northern Inferno Let's Play

mikeck

Thanks not trying to be a pain but I have a lot of difficulty navigating beloogans videos trying to tell which video is which

Dimitris

He's not making it easy by having so many :D

Feel free to ask any other questions either here or on the Matrix forum.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Baloogan

Quote from: mikeck on February 05, 2014, 12:25:54 PM
Thanks not trying to be a pain but I have a lot of difficulty navigating beloogans videos trying to tell which video is which

Heh; sorry about that!
I have an index here: http://baloogancampaign.com/episodes/

mikeck

Lol...not your fault. It's just that you area king these videos for thousands of people,..not me individually. So sometimes you skip a step or go quickly through something I am un familiar with. Your videos are great

Baloogan

:)

Just checked my uploaded video count; I'm at 180 videos uploaded... That is quite a few! Certainly doesn't feel like I uploaded 180 videos heh : )

Is there a topic you would like to see me cover on this coming Saturday? After 20 episodes I'm starting to run out of ideas : )

mikeck

What you ought to do is put together a bad ass campaign or some scenarios. A series of scenarios based on a. Southeast Asia conflict .... Japan v China over the islands or something

Baloogan

!! :)

I have!! http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/Geoscape_2008_Campaign

I'm writing a piece of software called Geoscape: http://baloogancampaign.com/command-plugins/geoscape/ which keeps track of 10s of thousands of units.

Here, let me copy paste a post I made elsewhere about this :)

Geoscape is a multiplayer campaign plugin for Command. You set up a Geoscape game by importing 100s of Command scenarios, which then exist entirely in Geoscape. In Geoscape you can give simple orders to formations of your units, for example you could tell Carrier Strike Group 7 and a Convoy to move to a waypoint in the Northern Atlantic. Your opponents would tell their soviet submarines to move to waypoints as well, using recon assets to try to set up an interception on your CARSTRKGRU. When Geoscape detects that these units would pass within (say) 100nm of each other then Geoscape would generate a Joint Command multiplayer scenario which has the position of all the Units near this interception from Geoscape. The multiplayer scenario would have a duration of 1hr or 6hrs (or something). Then the battle is fought in Joint Command which creates Command scenarios to play multiplayer. After the multiplayer battle is over Geoscape will read back in the status of the units, the amount of munitions expended, who died, etc.

Then, if the battle isn't over, Geoscape will move time forward 6 hours (or however long the mutliplayer battles are set to last for) and generate additional Joint Command scenarios wherever it detects BLUFOR and REDFOR units in close proximity. Plus during these Joint Command scenarios time also passes in Geoscape so you can direct reinforcements to scenarios under way.

Geoscape will also keep track of logisitics and things like "6th Marine Regiment is stored aboard this amphibious assualt ship". I also plan to have a land combat component as well.

The inspiration for Geoscape came from MBX (mail battle experience) games run about a decade ago. Essentially Geoscape and Joint Command are plugins designed to make running an MBX game much less painful; as well as allow the players to take charge of their own units during combat.

I also take inspiration for Geoscape from War in the Pacific.

I wrote a singleplayer version of this about 4 months ago called "Baloogan Campaign" which I've kept a few screenshots of here: http://baloogancampaign.com/baloogan-campaign/ Geoscape is a multiplayer rewrite of Baloogan Campaign.

Myself and a few other guys are working on researching Orders of Battle for Geoscape campaigns; there are two campaigns planned one set in the western pacific 2008 which takes quite a few ques from a Tom Clancy book. And then next one (4-5 months down the line) set in Europe, 1988!

Ultimately I want to simulate a multiplayer World War 3 with full attention to detail and logistics. I shall achieve this via creating a multiplayer plugin for Command (already done
) and then creating a multiplayer campaign plugin for Command. Geoscape sits firmly on top of Joint Command, the only way munitions are spent will be via Command. Geoscape will move units around and detect when they might get close to each other, then send the resulting possible interceptions to Joint Command who then creates Command scenarios in a way which facilitates multiplayer gameplay. Then Command simulates the actual combat! After a Joint Command match is complete the surviving units and their states (munitions expended, fuel expended, damage, etc) is read back into Geoscape!

We are looking for more players!

BLUFOR Roster: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=Geoscape_08_BLUFOR
REDFOR Roster: http://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=Geoscape_08_REDFOR

Skoop

Just got command and got it installed on my main gaming rig.  This is on beefy computer that I use for Dcs world and it has 4 monitors that can be used for command as well.  The game looks great when I fire it up on all displays, it's like my room becomes NORAD. 
  I down loaded the latest beta 488 build and all the db viewer stuff, fired up the Malvinas senario and had a freeze after 10 min of play.  Might be an issue with the beta build.  I'll switch to my laptop which has the basic 1.02 version until that gets sorted.  No biggie I don't even know what I'm doing yet, still tinkering and learning.
I installed the balloogan campaign to take a look, installed seamlessly but looks like you need a login / password to run it.  Not that I'm ready for multiplayer but I'm just checking things out and exploring the potential.