The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

RyanE

I love Command as a game and simulator.  I think the devs are the most supportive I have ever seen.  The communicate daily on where things are and issues that people have.  They are fairly patient with customers who refuse to learn on their own.  They put out incredibly frequent game and database updates.

The game was a gem from the beginning.  The devs have continued adding significant features that should probably have been part of a paid addon.  That is how most devs do it today.

The downside is that some of the devs go off on random verbal benders against customers because they see HH lurking behind every post.  I pretty much stopped posting at Matrix because of it.  I was basically interrogated about connections to people I don't know.  The devs have turned away and off several good community contributors through that constant poking.

btw...I think the devs should limit posting in non-matrix boards.  I stumbled upon the subsim forums and they were over there with the same paranoid attitude.  It was a little unseemly.  Nothing good does or will come of public arguments from devs of a game.

mikeck

This:

"The downside is that some of the devs go off on random verbal benders against customers because they see HH lurking behind every post.  I pretty much stopped posting at Matrix because of it. "

I have had nothing but positive comments from Dimitris on this forum but matrix was different. I questioned whether it was WAD when 75% of my HARM missiles were shot down by enemy SAMs. I was accused of complaining because my "favorite missile" wasn't a super weapon and such by one of the devs. It was a serious question...I didn't know a lot about that capability.

I asked here and Dimitris answered promptly and factually. So I just post here when I have a question
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Baloogan

The Baloogan Campaign Stream is up! http://baloogancampaign.com/ Going to be bombing China-backed Nigeria today.

Nefaro

Quote from: JudgeDredd on September 27, 2014, 09:18:12 AM
My concerns on the game back then, regardless of what you thought or think now, were genuine concerns to me and not implanted into me.

Quote from: Dimitris on September 27, 2014, 08:05:27 AM

IIRC you busted our balls on a specific issue, ie. being able to see an individual selected unit's range-rings even when the "merge range rings" option is selected (which BTW was _not_ possible in any version of Harpoon, and Harpoon never had the "merge range rings" ability in the first place). We dedicated untold hours to make it work, we released it as part of a _free_ update... and then we found out that you had given your copy away.

Lesson learned.

I had the same concerns that JD did when it was released regarding the interface functionality.  The exact same ones, in many cases. 

I've not played it since that time but I've not given it away since I expect such things to be, or have been, addressed by the time I get back to it.  However long that may take. 

So please, developers, don't write off UI requests just because someone gave their copy away.  There are others who would like to see more improvements in that area. 

republic

Every time a Matrix game has made it to Steam I grab a cup of coffee and read through the Steam forums.  I wonder what it is like for the developers seeing the general gaming public respond.  I also wonder whether they really do see a spike in sales as is always thought.  (I imagine they must or Matrix/Slitherine wouldn't keep releasing them to Steam).

mikeck

Quote from: republic on September 28, 2014, 05:39:20 AM
Every time a Matrix game has made it to Steam I grab a cup of coffee and read through the Steam forums.  I wonder what it is like for the developers seeing the general gaming public respond.  I also wonder whether they really do see a spike in sales as is always thought.  (I imagine they must or Matrix/Slitherine wouldn't keep releasing them to Steam).

In thought we had to rant and complain if you were going to post on the Steam forums? Didn't think we were allowed to write coherent criticisms or *god forbid, a compliment on any game.
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RyanE

I suspect there is at least a small bump in sales if not a bigger one.  Look at the noobs showing up on the Matrix forums.  Not sure if Steam or a $20 discount is the motivation.

bostonmyk

Quote from: RyanE on September 28, 2014, 09:40:47 AM
I suspect there is at least a small bump in sales if not a bigger one.  Look at the noobs showing up on the Matrix forums.  Not sure if Steam or a $20 discount is the motivation.

Sales are good so likely both. Won a few awards this year too :)
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

bostonmyk

Quote from: mikeck on September 28, 2014, 08:09:50 AM
Quote from: republic on September 28, 2014, 05:39:20 AM

In thought we had to rant and complain if you were going to post on the Steam forums? Didn't think we were allowed to write coherent criticisms or *god forbid, a compliment on any game.

Everywhere is a different experience but at the end of the day you're happy that somebody bought and enjoys your game.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

Toonces

I wouldn't expect the average Steam player to have a clue about the potential of this game.

I may have to head over to the forums just to check out the mayhem.  Steam forums are always good for shredding any hope I have for the future of mankind.   :idiot2:
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Silent Disapproval Robot

It actually hasn't been that bad.  Mostly it's people coming on to express dissatisfaction about the price but other than that, most posters have been asking reasonable questions.  The glaring exception is this barely literate mouth-breather.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/321410/discussions/0/613937306767597142/

Toonces

Ugh, I really shouldn't have clicked on that link!  Saw Cap'n Darwin making an appearance.  I hope he gets hazard pay for that!

<meh I better delete the rest of this post or we're going to derail completely>   :-X
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Capn Darwin

Trust me, just trying to post useful info and steer clear of the flame war points if possible. Freedom of speech on the internet does have a dark side.  :idiot2:
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

Bison

My Steam game collection is much more enjoyable to play when I avoid the intellectual slums that are the Steam forums.