The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

Quote from: undercovergeek on October 03, 2014, 03:42:44 AM
for the matrix users yes, because thats what they know

the intention of launching on steam is to give access to a much wider audience whove never heard of, and dont care who matrix are and theyll more than likely launch scenarios on the steam workshop

from what i understand this is something the devs are looking to do -

Quote from: Dimitris on September 29, 2014, 03:45:38 PM
Currently it is still a manual affair. We are currently exploring the ways we can use Steam's services to better serve Steam customers, while also continuing our support for non-Steam users.

There's a wealth of user-made scenarios outside Matrix.  Well the makers are Matrix members but the scenarios are hosted in the developer's site.
http://www.warfaresims.com/?page_id=1876

bostonmyk

The plan is to try and use and maintain both although it will take us a bit to get up to speed with the steam features. 

Thanks!

Mike

Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

RyanE

I saw there is a new beta build at Matrix (1.05.02).  Seemed to be a little cock up on the update but sorted now.

btw, I don't think I have ever seen this complex of a game updated as frequently as this one is.  I have so taken for granted the frequent updates, I get antsy if I don't hear anything in a week.  And what's cool is most of the updates are optimization, database updates, and new features.

Dimitris

GDS_Starfury

from the steam forum:

QuoteResearch farther back and harpoon was based on even earlier styles.

:2funny:  Im not aware of there being any earlier styles on the pc.  unless of course the poster ment playing Strike Fleet on an apple.
mouth breathers indeed.
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Herman Hum

Modern Naval Ops Review (Steam v1.05)
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

The PlayersDB - The Harpoon Community's #1 Choice.

Harpoon3 Frequently Asked Questions

Dimitris

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Herman Hum on October 08, 2014, 05:09:23 AM
Modern Naval Ops Review (Steam v1.05)

Being, as I am, dimly (and I do mean dimly) aware of some confrontation that apparently happened in the distant past, I feel like this is bait that I'm foolishly biting at.  However I am interested in CMANO and I watched the entire review.

It is absolutely clear, to the blindest of the blind, Herman, that you are exceptionally biased.  You mentioned Harpoon as many times as you mentioned CMANO.  Any similarities between the CMANO UI and the Harpoon UI are absolutely irrelevant to me as I have not played Harpoon.  By the way - 6/10 for graphics?  Have a guess what I'd award Harpoon's graphics?

Price.  "This game is not worth $80".  I struggled to contain my rage here.  The number of times I've been screamed at by hardcore grogheads for daring to criticise the astronomical (and in my mind unjustifiable) prices of games like these, and now you get to do it?  Just NO.  I find myself peddling the same line that has been peddled to me many times...it's worth it because it's niche and will last many months if not years.  I didn't buy it before and I don't buy it now, but to hear you say that whilst comparing CMANO to a 20-year-old game (your words) that you still play today made my blood boil.

I also thought you were being very overly picky with a lot of what you perceived as flaws.  You didn't offer examples for some (not all) of your criticisms while others are completely irrelevant to me (lack of multiplayer, lack of database editor).

However.  Some of your criticism seemed fair.  Do all airplanes really travel at the same speed?  I'm not as hardcore as many but that would certainly bother me.  And although I didn't know it before I watched the review, I now find myself wishing for "multi-map".  How representative was the dipping sonar example?  I noticed you had "manual override" set the whole time.  Is there really no way to program a mission into your helicopter units to make this task easier?

It was a thorough, if heavily biased, review and in all honesty, it left me still dying to have the game.  Developers: if you make a Linux port (and I can somehow convince my lady to let me spend ~£60 on it) I will be in. :)

mirth

Dear God, please tell me you didn't watch the entire 1:02:09 of that review by Robbie the Robot  :o
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2014, 05:05:25 PM
Dear God, please tell me you didn't watch the entire 1:02:09 of that review by Robbie the Robot  :o

I did!  I wouldn't be qualified to criticise it if I hadn't!  Like I said, I'm very interested in this game even though I can't currently play it. :)

RyanE

mirth

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2014, 05:10:19 PM
Quote from: mirth on October 08, 2014, 05:05:25 PM

I did!  I wouldn't be qualified to criticise it if I hadn't!  Like I said, I'm very interested in this game even though I can't currently play it. :)

You deserve some kind of medal or award. Though I question your sanity.  :P

I haven't (and can't possibly) watch the whole thing, but I did enjoy this gem, "WAAAAY TOO MUCH CLICKOLOGY!"
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Huw the Poo

Quote from: RyanE on October 08, 2014, 05:11:01 PM
I think its on sale for $60 isn't it?

Admittedly I didn't check Steam, but on the Matrix website it says £53+tax.

Herman Hum

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2014, 04:48:26 PM
Any similarities between the CMANO UI and the Harpoon UI are absolutely irrelevant to me as I have not played Harpoon.  By the way - 6/10 for graphics?  Have a guess what I'd award Harpoon's graphics?
The comparative relevance is to show how other games do the same things more effectively and efficiently.  One can only hope that MNO will make the game even more like Harpoon.  It doesn't matter if Super Mario Bros is a 2 for graphics.  MNO rates a 6 all by itself.

Price.  "This game is not worth $80".  I struggled to contain my rage here.  The number of times I've been screamed at by hardcore grogheads for daring to criticise the astronomical (and in my mind unjustifiable) prices of games like these, and now you get to do it?  Just NO.  I find myself peddling the same line that has been peddled to me many times...it's worth it because it's niche and will last many months if not years.  I didn't buy it before and I don't buy it now, but to hear you say that whilst comparing CMANO to a 20-year-old game (your words) that you still play today made my blood boil.
As stated in the review, price is subjective.  I stated my personal valuation since so many are already talking about it.  I will also relate a personal anecdote.  When this game came out, I was approached by a couple of beta testors.  They told me that they had received $20 discount coupons for their testing participation and that they weren't going to use them.  They asked if I could 'find a good home' for these coupons.  They knew that I try to help out players whenever possible, regardless of any personal sentiment. 

It set off alarm bells for me.  Here were two guys who had tried the game for months and weren't going to use use their discounts.  However, I took them and approached virtually anyone on various fora who expressed an interest in the game, but hesitated due to the high price.  No one would take them.  When asked, everyone came back and told me that $60 was still too high a price and that $40 was their valuation.  However, I was eventually able to find good homes for the discount coupons.  There are folks who don't mind the $80 price tag, but there are plenty of folks who disagree.  Price is subjective.

I also thought you were being very overly picky with a lot of what you perceived as flaws.  You didn't offer examples for some (not all) of your criticisms while others are completely irrelevant to me (lack of multiplayer, lack of database editor).
I show how things do or do not work in the game.  If you require additional examples or clarification, please indicate which flaws or criticisms were not sufficiently detailed to your satisfaction.  You may not find Multi-Player capability or DB editing important, but there are others who do and specifically expressed their interest in these functions.  The review shows how these features do or do not exist.

However.  Some of your criticism seemed fair.  Do all airplanes really travel at the same speed?  I'm not as hardcore as many but that would certainly bother me.  And although I didn't know it before I watched the review, I now find myself wishing for "multi-map".  How representative was the dipping sonar example?  I noticed you had "manual override" set the whole time.  Is there really no way to program a mission into your helicopter units to make this task easier?
Not all airplanes in MNO travel at the same speed.  I was quite specific and talked about the fighters when they were on afterburner at high altitude.  Most of the modern fighters found in MNO with an afterburner capability are capped at 950knots at high altitude.  There are exceptions, but most of them are artificially restricted in this manner.  I listed fighters such as Tomcat, Falcon, Fulcrum, Flanker, Eagle, Eurofighter, Tornado, and few others as examples.  You could go ahead and list them all.

The dipping sonar example is for units under manual control.  Of course, you could turn control over to the AI in both MNO and Harpoon and the AI would dip the sonar automatically.  However, the point is that players who wants to exert manual control in MNO are punished for doing so.  The AI is so weak that players will want to take manual control whenever possible because it is simply more effective.

The point of the review is to show viewers how things do or do not work before they spend their hard-earned money.  It should neither encourage nor discourage anyone.  However, folks should never find themselves saying, "I didn't know <<That>>!" after they purchase the game.

Thanks for the civil discussion.
ScenShare scenarios: 1) Enjoy creating it, 2) Enjoy playing it, 3) Enjoy sharing it, 4) Enjoy helping others create them

Herman Hum

Quote from: Huw the Poo on October 08, 2014, 05:16:02 PM
Admittedly I didn't check Steam, but on the Matrix website it says £53+tax.

The Steam sale was over Oct 03 and the price is back to 80 USD.